WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m interested in a Blancpain FF I love the looks and style of the watch. And I know that the sailcloth strap was made to get wet but it just seems to me like that over time of just having constant contact with sweat and skin oils and whatever other dust and dirt you come into contact with every day it would after time start to smell this seems like it would be accelerated if you actually went into salt water. I’m wondering what any of you out there that have experience with sailcloth have to say about this.

Also does anybody know if BP makes a rubber strap for the FF this seems like a much better option for a dive watch.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I’m interested in a Blancpain FF I love the looks and style of the watch. And I know that the sailcloth strap was made to get wet but it just seems to me like that over time of just having constant contact with sweat and skin oils and whatever other dust and dirt you come into contact with every day it would after time start to smell this seems like it would be accelerated if you actually went into salt water. I’m wondering what any of you out there that have experience with sailcloth have to say about this.

Also does anybody know if BP makes a rubber strap for the FF this seems like a much better option for a dive watch.
It holds up well. I have heard between two years and 6. Not forever. On my bathyscaphe it’s been about a year and goon g strong including a vacation where I swam, surfed ect all in the hot. It does not smell. I have a 5015 as well but may be putting on a braclet or rubber for variety.

As for OEM. Yes there is a 23mm rubber that you can get for the 5015. It’s pricey. There are really not a ton of aftermarket options rubber or other. Some Nato for sure.

I bought a Barton quick release rubber for my bathy. It fits well and works but for some reason it does just not look as good. It’s the style of rubber mostly.

Otherwise I have been batting zero on rubber options

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It holds up well. I have heard between two years and 6. Not forever. On my bathyscaphe it’s been about a year and goon g strong including a vacation where I swam, surfed ect all in the hot. It does not smell. I have a 5015 as well but may be putting on a braclet or rubber for variety.

As for OEM. Yes there is a 23mm rubber that you can get for the 5015. It’s pricey. There are really not a ton of aftermarket options rubber or other. Some Nato for sure.

I bought a Barton quick release rubber for my bathy. It fits well and works but for some reason it does just not look as good. It’s the style of rubber mostly.

Otherwise I have been batting zero on rubber options

Thats good to know that there is a OEM rubber. I have never seen a pic of this but i will be checking google. Do you know by any chance if there is a blue OEM option as well?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thats good to know that there is a OEM rubber. I have never seen a pic of this but i will be checking google. Do you know by any chance if there is a blue OEM option as well?
Not sure. I think just black unless one came with an ocean commitment model.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
When wearing my Bathyscaphe chrono daily, it lasted less than a year before ugly cracks occurred. The second one lasted even less...so much less that BP sent me a replacement. Now I use an Erika's original.

·
Registered
126 Posts
When wearing my Bathyscaphe chrono daily, it lasted less than a year before ugly cracks occurred. The second one lasted even less...so much less that BP sent me a replacement. Now I use an Erika's original.
I hear they are good. It’s a style thing for me. I like the look of the sailcloth and it seems hit or miss if they last. If I can fits the right rubber one I will never take it off.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
The look and feel nice. But the edges did not last long on the ceramic model I have. They frayed from rubbing on the buckle.

I ended up having a bespoke stingray strap made for less than Blancpain would have charged for a new one.

20191002_173734.jpg

20191002_173612.jpg

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have an Omega DSOTM. The sail cloth is same as the BP FF. FYI, BP shared it with Omega because they have the same parent company. Orders from above I guess. Anyways, the sail cloth is durable because 1) it is well knitted, 2) the back is lined with leather. I think you really need to have an active lifestyle to ruin this. Obviously, this strap isn't really for outdoors stuff .

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I have an Omega DSOTM. The sail cloth is same as the BP FF. FYI, BP shared it with Omega because they have the same parent company. Orders from above I guess. Anyways, the sail cloth is durable because 1) it is well knitted, 2) the back is lined with leather. I think you really need to have an active lifestyle to ruin this. Obviously, this strap isn't really for outdoors stuff .
The BP one isn't leather lined. BP states that it's the strap to wear for water activities, not their leather decorated NATO.

If there are any typos in this post, I blame Tapatalk!

·
Registered
329 Posts

I have an Omega AT with a leather backed sailcloth strap. The sailcloth and leather have held up fine. WR on the watch is 150meters.

i emailed Omega about the strap before I bought it, asking about WR.. answer “ not waterproof, but you can swim with it, rinse after.” I haven’t gone swimming with the band but bought a few Natos to swap in if I want to swim with it. I’d have preferred rubber backed to the leather backed sailcloth.

·
Registered
146 Posts
In my experience they don’t last that long before they start to peel at the edges and crack at the point where the padding ends and the holes begin. Possibly the most frustrating part for me is my watch has pins that use an impossibly tiny Allen wrench. I can only assume the new FF don’t use the same mechanism but it might be something to watch out for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
In my experience they don’t last that long before they start to peel at the edges and crack at the point where the padding ends and the holes begin. Possibly the most frustrating part for me is my watch has pins that use an impossibly tiny Allen wrench. I can only assume the new FF don’t use the same mechanism but it might be something to watch out for.

Not sure what you mean by the new fifty fathoms. If you meet the bathyscaphe then it is correct and it’s spring bars. If you have the bracelet I hear it’s standard hex. The fifty fathoms that landed I. 2007 is the same. .9 hex which is super random.

23mm. Drives me nuts but otherwise I love both.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Not sure what you mean by the new fifty fathoms. If you meet the bathyscaphe then it is correct and it’s spring bars. If you have the bracelet I hear it’s standard hex. The fifty fathoms that landed I. 2007 is the same. .9 hex which is super random.

23mm. Drives me nuts but otherwise I love both.

Yes that is what I meant... sorry for the confusion. Lug width and hex size are both annoying, I agree

·
Registered
217 Posts
Same experience as above. The outer edges are glued and doesn’t take Ling before glue to come apart. Supposed to be hand made and the stitching is nice.

·
Registered
126 Posts

That’s a beautiful Blancpain!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts