WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would you use to cleaned the back case of my pocket watch?
The case is a BRIGHT MIRROR FINISH SILVERODE CASE. THE CASE IS MARKED "SILVERODE" THE CASE IS SO SHINY AND REFLECTIVE but it has some yellowish decoloration. Like finger prints.
Thanks
Sorry about capitals, but I just pasted the text.
Would you use alcohol, or what cleaning product.

·
Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator
2,429 Posts
I don't generally polish my cases, but when I do the only thing I allow to touch them is Simichrome on a soft cloth.

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
I would first try a polishing cloth. It will remove light surface tarnish like finger prints. If it does not, I'd try a mild polishing compound.

Since you probably don't have these right now, try a CLEAN cotton cloth and tooth paste.... really. It might well work.

Silverode is a trade name for a nickel compound that will take a high level of polish. If done properly, the cases are really shiny and beautiful.

Good luck!

·
Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator
2,429 Posts
Alcohol isn't bad, per se, provided that you don't get on the movement.

I just see it as unlikely to do anything to remove any corrosion or discoloration. I've used it on cases to remove price sticker residue, but that's about the extent of what it can do.

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
Alcohol isn't bad, per se, provided that you don't get on the movement.

I just see it as unlikely to do anything to remove any corrosion or discoloration. I've used it on cases to remove price sticker residue, but that's about the extent of what it can do.
It can be a bit risky in that it will leak into watches which are tight against water. It then can dissolve the paint on some dials. So don't use too much.

I speak from sad experience...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts