WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 358 Posts

·
Registered
8,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Judging Grand Seiko's movement decoration and assemble skills and precision quality. How would you level Grand Seiko's skills today is equal to which big Swiss?

ALS? Patek? AP? Piaget? GP? Breguet? Blancpain? JLC? Omega?....

Although I know Grand Seiko is one of the kind.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Uh oh, now you've gone and done it............

I'd say the movement assembly, precision and quality is right up there with the best.

The decoration is very nice indeed but functional and nothing too over the top. If it was in your list above, I'd say it would be around the JLC and Omega area.

·
Registered
8,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Uh oh, now you've gone and done it............

I'd say the movement assembly, precision and quality is right up there with the best.

The decoration is very nice indeed but functional and nothing too over the top. If it was in your list above, I'd say it would be around the JLC and Omega area.
LOL....well, we are discuss their actual skill level without all other extra [email protected]
JLC and Omega, to me personally, they are in different level. GS can be equal to ALS or Patek if someone think it is.
I need someone who actually have seen the GS movement in person and compare to big swiss movement to respond.
If you have not seen the GS movement in person, your reply is only impression base on no truth.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Best in the world. AP, VC or PP? None of them even come close.

In all honesty... I think GS is a great line of watches without doubt. But comparing them with the trinity is a little over the top considering the fact that these are companies that have demonstrated technical prowess before GS even came into life...

·
Registered
8,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Best in the world. AP, VC or PP? None of them even come close.

In all honesty... I think GS is a great line of watches without doubt. But comparing them with the trinity is a little over the top considering the fact that these are companies that have demonstrated technical prowess before GS even came into life...
I don't want to take companies history in to the account. Skills vs Skills. finishing, decoration and quality only.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
It's difficult to make these brand comparisons. Grand Seiko has got nothing on JLC in terms of movement finishing. GS movement finishing is just 'nice' on the 9S series and 'quite nice' on the 9R series, but nothing more IMO. The case finishing, again IMO is among the very best. Well ahead of anything in it's class. I don't really have enough experience with those high-end brands to make any further comparisons. GS is clearly not immune to quality control f-ups as evidenced by some threads we've had here, but I think it's horses for courses. I think there's a much, much, much higher likelihood of a GS customer buying a GS with a flaw and mentioning it here than a JLC customer for example.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
For the price u pay for a GS. I would say the case and movement finishing (using naked eye) is amongst the best. But I wouldn't compare it to PP, JLC, AP and other even more high end players. But IMO GS is on par with other watches in the same price range and superior to some.

Sent via carrier pigeons

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I say its hard to compare, JLC finishes their various movements to different level according to price, GS does the same.
The anglage is pronounced on the 9R86 but not visible on the 9S65/66.
The base plate is undecorated on the 9S65 but pearlage is done on the 66 base plate.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Image.jpg

Not sure if it helps you any, but here's my story...

A while back I paid a visit to a London dealer who's sold me a few watches in the past and knew I was into Seiko (I have a bunch of old divers and 61xx chronos). He'd just received a Grand Seiko Spring Drive GMT 'Suwa' dial, watch #4 of the 150 limited run. Honestly guys, no watch I've ever handled has had the impact of this thing. Photos will never do it justice. I loved the signature 4 o'clock crown, the sapphire bezel, the whole Spring-Drive thing. It blew me away, but I didn't buy it - just couldn't justify nearly $10,000 on a Japanese watch.

But it never left my mind, not buying it haunted me for months. Then I did a stupid thing, I bought a Rolex. A spontaneous mall purchase on a US business trip.

The GMT Master IIc had recently come out and everyone was raving about the ceramic bezel and engraved chapter ring etc and hell, everyone loves a Rolex. As soon as I got it home I immediately regretted my decision. I blew a rare chance to own something truly exceptional and instead bought a product that I could pick up in any shopping mall or airport at anytime over the next 20 years. The GS Spring Drive was under my skin and I just could not get over it.

I went to London, took a stiff drink in local pub, went to the dealer and bought the Grand Seiko. Trust me, I'm not the sort of guy that regularly blows $15-20k in a month on watches, so this was a big deal. The Seiko, however, I adore. If the house was on fire and I had to grab one thing - it would be this. And the kids maybe.

Yes it's a confused brand, yes there's like five different fonts on the dial etc, but it's just plain gorgeous. Also, I do a job where walking into meeting with a jangly Rolex doesn't always send out the right message. With the Seiko I can indulge myself in plain view.

So there it is, a tale of two watches. The moral is, I learned the expensive way that I personally rank Grand Seiko ahead of Rolex. The Epilogue: a WUS friend invited me round for a drink and told me to 'bring that £6Grand Casio'. I did. Now he can't get it out of his head either.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
LOL....well, we are discuss their actual skill level without all other extra [email protected]
JLC and Omega, to me personally, they are in different level. GS can be equal to ALS or Patek if someone think it is.
I need someone who actually have seen the GS movement in person and compare to big swiss movement to respond.
If you have not seen the GS movement in person, your reply is only impression base on no truth.

Seen my signature, I see the GS movement every day

·
Registered
630 Posts
What's the deal with these GS posts lately?

IMHO:

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, yes.

Judging Grand Seiko's movement decoration and assemble skills and precision quality. How would you level Grand Seiko's skills today is equal to which big Swiss?

ALS? Patek? AP? Piaget? GP? Breguet? Blancpain? JLC? Omega?....

Although I know Grand Seiko is one of the kind.

·
Premium Member
Omega AT Day Date SS, Omega De Ville Trésor YG
4,026 Posts
Think of GS like of hybrid Lexus. You can compare it to Mercedes (Rolex) or BMW (Omega), but not to Rolls Royce or Ferrari.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
its pretty obvious that many people in this thread have never felt a grand seiko and want to protect the superiority of europe from the asian horde :p

in all reality,

gs ~= jlc

Reactions: wuyeah

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Here are two entry level movements I had from both brands.
I'm not really sure how one could make a direct comparison between both brands, it's obvious their approach to decoration and fnishing are very different.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
More than once. Was the reason because it wasn't european?
Oh, I though Orsoni was making a joke. Did that Mod actually move it here?

Y'know, you can open a thread in f21 asking what we think about an Omega AT, and you know what you'll get? A bunch of Seiko fan's opinions on the Omega AT. Why can't high-end watch aficionados have a chance to voice their opinion on Grand Seikos?

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
View attachment 1631739

Not sure if it helps you any, but here's my story...

A while back I paid a visit to a London dealer who's sold me a few watches in the past and knew I was into Seiko (I have a bunch of old divers and 61xx chronos). He'd just received a Grand Seiko Spring Drive GMT 'Suwa' dial, watch #4 of the 150 limited run. Honestly guys, no watch I've ever handled has had the impact of this thing. Photos will never do it justice. I loved the signature 4 o'clock crown, the sapphire bezel, the whole Spring-Drive thing. It blew me away, but I didn't buy it - just couldn't justify nearly $10,000 on a Japanese watch.

But it never left my mind, not buying it haunted me for months. Then I did a stupid thing, I bought a Rolex. A spontaneous mall purchase on a US business trip.

The GMT Master IIc had recently come out and everyone was raving about the ceramic bezel and engraved chapter ring etc and hell, everyone loves a Rolex. As soon as I got it home I immediately regretted my decision. I blew a rare chance to own something truly exceptional and instead bought a product that I could pick up in any shopping mall or airport at anytime over the next 20 years. The GS Spring Drive was under my skin and I just could get over it.

I went to London, took a stiff drink in local pub, went to the dealer and bought the Grand Seiko. Trust me, I'm not the sort of guy that regularly blows $15-20k in a month on watches, so this was a big deal. The Seiko, however, I adore. If the house was on fire and I had to grab one thing - it would be this. And the kids maybe.

Yes it's a confused brand, yes there's like five different fonts on the dial etc, but it's just plain gorgeous. Also, I do a job where walking into meeting with a jangly Rolex doesn't always send out the right message. With the Seiko I can indulge myself in plain view.

So there it is, a tale of two watches. The moral is, I learned the expensive way that I personally rank Grand Seiko ahead of Rolex. The Epilogue: a WUS friend invited me round for a drink and told me to 'bring that £6Grand Casio'. I did. Now he can't get it out of his head either.
Great looking GS! That dial and bezel are killer! Mine says hello!

1 - 20 of 358 Posts