WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll show you this:

And I'll tell you; that in terms of fit and finish, it blows away my IWC, Panerai, and Rolex pieces. These guys really know how to put a watch together. If you must know, it doesn't seem to have gained or lost any time in the last month. I'd have to take a longer assessment to discover just how accurate it really is.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Classic and beautiful :-!

The only choice Seiko made I don't agree with is to avoid using lume. The Seiko Centre shop assistant told me it's because these watches are meant to last, which is an issue with lume ... huh ?

Anyway, I'd like to show you such a picture of my own wrist one day ... b-)

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
I'm in!

Btw Richard, that is a real beauty!

Here's this...

Seiko 7C46-6009. OK, so its not really HEQ, but, when this was released in 1987, it had 17 worlds first technologies in the case construction, glass gasket arrangement/design and crown design. For a divers watch rated to 600meters, its incredibly thin - its about the same thickness as my Speedmaster Pro. Some additional shots...

Side profile.

Crown view - It has what Seiko calls, a twin side shielded crown. Don't ask me, I have no idea what that means! All I know is that Seiko still uses this type of crown for all its 300 and 1000 meter quartz divers. Seiko's SBBN007 shows the crown in use today...

From the crown shot of the 7C46 you will notice that you can read the dial from any angle. And note the slightly inverse bezel ring. I can only hope Seiko UK have a new one in stock when it goes to the beauty spa - I have never seen a bezel-ring like the one on this watch.

Notice the unusual profile of the back of the case. For my mind, the use of a sculpted back is to cut size and weight from the case. OK, nothing too special in a two piece case, but as mentioned, the real technology within this watch revolves around the case design, glass mounting and sealing systems, and the crown structure. Its such a comfortable watch on the wrist. It wears smaller than its 45mm size would suggest, and you hardly know its on - which can't be said of the watch its pictured with below. Note the size in comparison with a modern 300m divers...

As I mentioned, its incredibly thin. The EcoZilla is around 18mm, the 7C46, approx. 14mm.

I'm blown away by Seiko. Incredible value, amazing build and finish that puts the Swiss to shame. Methinks the next expensive purchase I make will be a Grand Seiko...

All the best,

Alex;-)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Alex, the more I see that Seiko, the more I like it. I love the fact that it completely eschews the modern ethos that size equals quality and performance. Seiko set out to make a quality piece that fulfills a brief and that is what they came up with - no more, no less.

Which leads nicely into my show and tell - I know I posted it as my new arrival but the Constellation f300 has been a real revelation to me since it came through to the door.

Being new to this watch collection lark, I never expected a watch to be so different in the way that it feels on the wrist; the vibration of the tuning fork when I was in a meeting earlier reminding me it was there rather than the heft of a big piece.

I always promised myself that I would get the watch refurbed as soon as it arrived but I kinda like the fact that the imperfections imbue the Connie with a bit of character and history.

Thanks for looking
Dale

·
Banned
593 Posts
Man, that's a gorgeous watch Rich.>>>

Seeing that pic makes me yearn for a GS SD so bad right now, I could almost cry. :-(\]

Enjoy Bud!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Watch and pörn, er, I mean watch ****, er.. um...

LED watches are empowering, it gives control of time to the wearer. The time isn't constantly visible, it's there on demand, it's there when *I* need to know the time. Useless for things like meetings and lectures where I need to keep an eye on the time but great for weekends when time is mine.

·
Registered
11,690 Posts
That's a really nice classic Seiko diver, Alex. Well done, amigo! b-)

It's Saturday and I'm wearing my Seiko World Timer SAGZ021. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts