WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all -- I visited an Omega boutique yesterday and was chatting to the sales associate about their Speedy's. I've read on the forums that there are some changes to the Speedy that were supposed to take place in May but, due to COVID, have been pushed back a bit. From speaking to the sales associate, the movement will get an update and the watch will be re-certified for NASA missions (I believe he mentioned a mission to the moon in 2024). From the forums and other sources I've heard that other changes may include: a ceramic bezel, sealed against water damage so it can be used while swimming, maybe a new stainless steel strap, etc. These changes would be great, and I anticipated a small increase to MSRP, but this sales associate said that the updated watch will DOUBLE in price and the current version will be discontinued.

He also mentioned that both the hesalite and sapphire versions of the current Speedy have been flying off the shelves as collectors are buying up the current version before the new version is introduced. He is not sure when this announcement will take place, I'm assuming before the end of the year is fair game.

He offered the sapphire version of the watch to me for $5.6k USD (pre-tax). I was hoping for a discount closer to $4.8-$5.0k pre-tax and decided to hold off. I prefer to purchase the watch from a boutique, as the 5 year warranty and peace of mind are nice.

• Can anyone confirm these changes?
  • Does anyone have any idea as to when this will happen?
  • Can anyone confirm that the watch community is buying these Speedy's up and there will be a shortage of supply moving forward, until the new watch is launched? He mentioned that he had just one sapphire sandwich in left in his entire store, and that others were being bought up.
  • Can anyone confirm that the new watch won't be just a couple thousand dollars more, but double in price?
Lastly, what is considered a good achievable discount to MSRP, and if Omega will offer even better discounts of the current model once the updated model is launched? Would love to purchase this watch, I am just thinking about how I can get a good deal from a boutique and if that means I should purchase before/after the updated version is announced or released.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
515 Posts
I can confirm that there will be an update. I’ve heard that the current model is being discontinued BUT NOT from oficial sources. I just haven’t asked anybody at Omega, but I can ask. Are they selling more because of the upgrade. Yes, I can confirm that and in fact, I was in the Omega Boutique yesterday and something caught my eye that I’ve never seen before. They did not have a hesalite Speedmaster available. It could be a coincidence, but I can’t recall any other time that I’ve gone to an OB that they didn’t have a Hesalite Speedmaster.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
If they ever get rid of classic sized, hesalite crystal then Omega is a motherless bastard that is dead to me.

Isn't what he asked over MSRP? If I was to buy another Moonwatch I'd buy Grey. Why would I pay $1100 PRE TAX for the honor of their warranty...that will likely never get used. smh....But that's just me.

Looks like you just joined to bring us this "news" for your first post. Hope you'll stay around and contribute some more...

I have my one...I won't be buying anymore...

OMEGASpeedmaster Professional Moonwatch Men's Watch 311.30.42.30.01.005Item No: 311.30.42.30.01.005

COLUMBUS DAY SALE
Retail$5,350.00
$4,595.0014% off

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Call me Mr Cynical but what the OB told you would be exactly what they would say if they wanted to push you into a purchase.

However, it seems to be an almost open secret that Omega are putting the 3861 into the "regular" Moonwatch - and soon. I don't expect the 3861 Moonwatch to double in price over the 1861. My rationale for this is that the current Hesalite Speedmaster is £4250 and the new Snoopy (with the funky caseback) is £8250 - albeit on a strap. I would therefore expect the regular 3861 Moonwatch to be somewhat less than £8250 - and hence not double the current model in price.

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
Transitioning to 3861 movement is inevitable, I supposed will happen as soon as it is mission approved by NASA. But it's just speculation.
One thing is certain though, a SA in a local boutique is not privi to the pricing strategies of Omega Ltd in Bienne.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Call me Mr Cynical but what the OB told you would be exactly what they would say if they wanted to push you into a purchase.

However, it seems to be an almost open secret that Omega are putting the 3861 into the "regular" Moonwatch - and soon. I don't expect the 3861 Moonwatch to double in price over the 1861. My rationale for this is that the current Hesalite Speedmaster is £4250 and the new Snoopy (with the funky caseback) is £8250 - albeit on a strap. I would therefore expect the regular 3861 Moonwatch to be somewhat less than £8250 - and hence not double the current model in price.
Agree with this - at this point everyone is assuming Omega will put the 3861 in a "standard" version of the Speedy Pro, along with sapphire crystal and ceramic bezel and (hopefully) an updated bracelet.

It's more of an unknown regarding discontinuation of the 1861 Speedy Pro, but Omega would have to be flat bonkers to discontinue that, imo.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I was in the Omega Boutique and asked the manager - he confirmed the updated movement for the Moonwatch and said the price would be about $1K over the current sapphire sandwich. Expecting delivery “later in the fall”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
557 Posts
I'm sure they will update the movement soon, but a double MSRP seems a bit unrealistic to me. That would be a huge mistake in my opinion.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I think it’s about time we come to terms with the idea that plastic crystals don’t belong on luxury watches anymore.

The “authenticity” argument really doesn’t hold much water when you consider that most other parts of the watch have been subtly updated as well in the meantime. And sapphire crystals have been sent into space since in the meantime.

Sapphire is just so much more practical and precious than plastic.

·
Premium Member
11,197 Posts
Several months ago a few WUS members were also told that the Speedmaster Pro was being discontinued. (There’s another thread on this topic.)

It’ll be interesting to see what Omega does; my guess is that they’ll update with the co-axial and discontinue the 1861, as they have always been about accuracy and precision. The 1861 is great a movement but it’s not as accurate or precise as their co-axials.

LOoOser in the brotherhood

·
Registered
468 Posts
I think it’s about time we come to terms with the idea that plastic crystals don’t belong on luxury watches anymore.

The “authenticity” argument really doesn’t hold much water when you consider that most other parts of the watch have been subtly updated as well in the meantime. And sapphire crystals have been sent into space since in the meantime.

Sapphire is just so much more practical and precious than plastic.
What? I think plastic crystals belong on watches as long as people still want to buy them and companies still want to make them.

·
Premium Member
11,837 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,707 Posts
I think this will be a huge mistake on the part of Omega, the Speedmaster Professional is so popular precisely because it's the one watch in their lineup that follows a Rolex like approach to change, slow and incremental. The connection with the first moon landing is also critical, and the "upgrades" are throwing all that heritage away.

In any case, I don't think the 3861 in particular justifies a substantial price premium, as the coaxial escapement does nothing to improve accuracy or reliability in their movements. The main reason why their Master Co-Axials are so accurate has much more to do with the silicon hairsprings than the co-axial escapement.

Now, if they had planned on equipping the Speedmaster Professional with the 321 calibre instead, that would be another thing entirely, and collectors would be selling off their 861 and 1861 equipped watches, and waiting with baited breadth for the new release.

·
Premium Member
11,197 Posts
My take is that Omega wants to bring all their watches into the METAS certification and 0/+5 spd accuracy. The 321 is an anomaly for collectors, and kudos to Omega for making that happen.

I agree that it’s the silicon hairspring that is mainly responsible for the accuracy/precision. But I also think the co-axial is a cool feature. Is it significantly better than the Swiss lever and it’s close derivatives, probably not. Will it result in less long term wear and tear? The jurys still out.

IMO Omega is killing it with their high grade mass produced movements.

Forgot to mention. If the “new” Speedmaster Pro is identical to the current model, but only with the updated movement, and “NASA” certified (by Omega doing the tests) will anyone care? This is basically what Rolex has been doing with the Sub and Explorer for decades.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts