WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
^Agreed. I think doubling the price would be a huge mistake at the risk of losing business.
1. I think it's obvious Omega wants to go as near to Rolex prices as possible -and the Speedmaster is, as of now "too cheap".
2. Omega won't hesitate about losing customers as long as new ones come in at their new price tag, and it's been years now Swatch is repositioning some of their other brands, namely Longines, to cover these "cheaper" customers.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
1. I think it's obvious Omega wants to go as near to Rolex prices as possible -and the Speedmaster is, as of now "too cheap".
2. Omega won't hesitate about losing customers as long as new ones come in at their new price tag, and it's been years now Swatch is repositioning some of their other brands, namely Longines, to cover these "cheaper" customers.
I agree on both points. Honestly, an updated movement that is actually accurate and a ceramic bezel would actually be great upgrades and if this elevated the Speedmaster to a higher RRP, I'd actually be fine with that.

It would also allow current models, and prior iterations, to proliferate in collectibility as well.

New customers get an objectively better watch via the updating of materials, and the old get to keep their 'originals' or however you'd like to see it.

Reactions: jmnav

·
Registered
92 Posts
I do hope they'll keep the comfortable 42mm speedy size. 44mm is the only reason why I couldn't wear an automatic co-axial Speedmaster Racing.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I love my Hesalite 1861 Speedy, and would never get rid of it. That said, if you keep the classic case and add:

• Better movement with improved accuracy
  • 100m water resistance
  • Lumed ceramic bezel
  • Domed sapphire
  • Applied logo and hour markers
  • Tapered bracelet with a micro-adjust clasp
Shutup and take my money. I would absolutely add that to my collection.

·
Registered
94 Posts
UPDATE: I went to another Omega boutique near me and spoke with two other “Key Holders.” They said that the 1861 will be discontinued in 2019 and that collectors are already buying up the remaining watches left. I’m sure you’ll still be able to get one, but any kid of discount from an OB would be highly unlikely. Today, I was offered a 10% discount, which is leading me to go visit an AD and see what they can do (hoping for 20-25%).

The folks at the OB also mentioned that new upgraded Moonwatch will have a 3861 movement and will be METAS certified. This new watch will not be released in 2020, and most likely will drop In the second half of 2021, is what they said. I’d love to see a ceramic bezel and some kind of waterproofing, but have no clue if that will happen. No comment on price from the OB, but from other posts on this topic, I’d expect an increase of ~$1k USD.

This will be my first luxury watch and am debating on buying the 1861 sapphire now or the upgraded version in a year. Thoughts? Hoping to keep this watch and use as a daily driver for many many years.
I will be disappointed if the new model is not released until the second half of 2021. I feel like for at least past two years, I have heard that this release is "right around the corner", yet it has not arrived.

Do you mean that the 1861 will be discontinued this year (as opposed to 2019)?

·
Registered
218 Posts
At the end of the day neither Rolex nor Omega really sets the prices. The market (we) do that. They just go on what the schnooks are willing to pay. Luxury goods market equilibrium is a tricky thing and it is mostly based on nothing substantive. If for whatever reason the consumer is willing to pay a certain price, who are they to argue? Let’s see what the market will tolerate on the new Speedmaster.

Reactions: mleok

·
Registered
74 Posts
I love my Hesalite 1861 Speedy, and would never get rid of it. That said, if you keep the classic case and add:

• Better movement with improved accuracy
  • 100m water resistance
  • Lumed ceramic bezel
  • Domed sapphire
  • Applied logo and hour markers
  • Tapered bracelet with a micro-adjust clasp
Shutup and take my money. I would absolutely add that to my collection.
Curious, why lumed bezel? This has been mentioned on many other threads and as recently as the Snoopy 3 one. The vast majority admit to never using it, even if they recall how (I read the instructions on how and forgot soon after).

So it must be down to looks? I admit, I love the cosmetic appeal of the tachymetre scale and one of the many attractions of the Speedmaster. A Liquidmetal filled ceramic bezel would be far more durable than Super-LumiNova though, so curious about the attraction. Glowies > Durability?

Agree on applied logo and markers though, always my preference over printed. Not sure why the WR is such a big deal though. A 100m WR watch without screw down crown and pushers isn't going to more resistant than a 50m in 99.99999 of practical applications.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Curious, why lumed bezel? This has been mentioned on many other threads and as recently as the Snoopy 3 one. The vast majority admit to never using it, even if they recall how (I read the instructions on how and forgot soon after).
A lumed bezel would, for me, go against the philosophy of the Speedmaster. The Speedmaster is an utterly form follows function design - it is the archetypal tool watch. The writing on the Speedmaster bezel is so tiny that it's hard to read in daylight - attempting to use a lumed version in the dark seems like an exercise in futility. It would be an example of aesthetics over utility.

I guess it depends on what Omega's philosophy for the Moonwatch is these days. They may not have have one other than - the Moonwatch is acting as an anchor on the pricing of our entire brand, therefore we need it to cost more.

·
Registered
555 Posts

So it must be down to looks? I admit, I love the cosmetic appeal of the tachymetre scale and one of the many attractions of the Speedmaster. A Liquidmetal filled ceramic bezel would be far more durable than Super-LumiNova though, so curious about the attraction. Glowies > Durability?
I've loved the lumed tachy bezel ever since it came out on the LE blue CK2998. I just think it's fun, purely a personal preference / aesthetic taste thing. I didn't really consider Liquidmetal, but I think that would be equally excellent, good call. Both materials would be a huge upgrade to the current insert.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Perhaps anything more may entail screw crown and that will make daily winding a bit more annoying. I'm also not sure if anyone makes non-screw pushers with 10 bar water resistance.
Sinn U1000 is 100 bar water resistant without screw chrono pushers.

Cheers,

M

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
555 Posts
A lumed bezel would, for me, go against the philosophy of the Speedmaster. The Speedmaster is an utterly form follows function design - it is the archetypal tool watch. The writing on the Speedmaster bezel is so tiny that it's hard to read in daylight - attempting to use a lumed version in the dark seems like an exercise in futility. It would be an example of aesthetics over utility.
Agreed, and the usefulness of a tach bezel at all is probably extremely debatable now, but it can't go anywhere. That said, on a purely form-follows-function argument, wouldn't increased legibility in low light be a vote in that column and not against?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've loved the lumed tachy bezel ever since it came out on the LE blue CK2998. I just think it's fun, purely a personal preference / aesthetic taste thing. I didn't really consider Liquidmetal, but I think that would be equally excellent, good call. Both materials would be a huge upgrade to the current insert.
The practical part of a ceramic and Liquidmetal bezel is that you don't have to take much care when you want to clean or polish it. T-shirt, kitchen cloth or some steel wool (ok, maybe not that).

·
Registered
555 Posts
The practical part of a ceramic and Liquidmetal bezel is that you don't have to take much care when you want to clean or polish it. T-shirt, kitchen cloth or some steel wool (ok, maybe not that).
Good point, especially considering the care one has to take currently when using Polywatch (or something similar) on the Hesalite model. But I'm assuming a bezel upgrade comes with a crystal upgrade as well, so probably moot there.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Agreed, and the usefulness of a tach bezel at all is probably extremely debatable now, but it can't go anywhere. That said, on a purely form-follows-function argument, wouldn't increased legibility in low light be a vote in that column and not against?
Good point.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I actually disagree with the majority of prior comments. I think a ceramic lumed bezel on the Speedy does make sense; it is a practical addition that would allow you to use the watch for its timing purposes under restricted lighting conditions. It actually sounds like something you may want if you were indeed an astronaut, or ever had to rely on the watch for timing purposes.

That said, I don't think Omega will give us a lumed ceramic bezel. They don't need the extra $ headache and manufacturing step to sell their watches. It is added cost. My reference to this would be the fact that the 50th Snoopy does not have have it, even though at the pricepoint it should (especially because the 45th had it). To me, this signals that they will follow a path of least resistance on this one to reduce any headaches.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I actually disagree with the majority of prior comments. I think a ceramic lumed bezel on the Speedy does make sense; it is a practical addition that would allow you to use the watch for its timing purposes under restricted lighting conditions. It actually sounds like something you may want if you were indeed an astronaut, or ever had to rely on the watch for timing purposes.
...provided it can be produced with the tiny fonts required, because you don't want a tach bezel with so blurred fonts you can't read them neither in the light nor the dark, right?

·
Premium Member
11,837 Posts
I wonder how many Rolex Daytona owners actually use their chronograph on a regular basis. I use the one on my Speedmaster almost daily, sometimes many times in a day.
As much as I loved my Daytona (finally, a chrono that is not too big or too thick!), I sold it for two reasons: No date (amazing how much I depend on that); and stupid screw-down pushers (I, too, use a chrono for timing almost every day). I regret almost daily letting my 3551.20 Broad Arrow go. 😞

·
Registered
74 Posts
As much as I loved my Daytona (finally, a chrono that is not too big or too thick!), I sold it for two reasons: No date (amazing how much I depend on that); and stupid screw-down pushers (I, too, use a chrono for timing almost every day). I regret almost daily letting my 3551.20 Broad Arrow go. 😞
Not surprised you felt that way about the Daytona on a practical level. I've handled a few over the years, always owned by someone I was working with (not too hard encountering one in a London banking environment). The first thing I do with any chronograph, with the owner's permission of course is test the feel of the pushers.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Not sure why the WR is such a big deal though. A 100m WR watch without screw down crown and pushers isn't going to more resistant than a 50m in 99.99999 of practical applications.
That’s because the WUS collective is really silly about water resistance. I’ve read at least twice in the last week that people don’t consider the Speedmaster suitable for everyday use because it is “only” resistant to 50 meters and they may encounter light drizzle on their commute to work.

Seriously, if 50 meters ever prove to be insufficient on your way to work you probably have bigger problems than the WR rating of your watch.

·
Registered
555 Posts
That’s because the WUS collective is really silly about water resistance. I’ve read at least twice in the last week that people don’t consider the Speedmaster suitable for everyday use because it is “only” resistant to 50 meters and they may encounter light drizzle on their commute to work.
Not to start yet another WR conversation, but according to Omega's own chart, 100M would rate the Speedy for snorkeling. Personally, that would be the last box to check for myself to make it a "GADA" watch. The 358 days a year I'm not on the beach, it absolutely handles everything.

41 - 60 of 92 Posts