WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,707 Posts
I guess it depends on what Omega's philosophy for the Moonwatch is these days. They may not have have one other than - the Moonwatch is acting as an anchor on the pricing of our entire brand, therefore we need it to cost more.
That’s ultimately what this is all about, Omega needs a fig leaf to justify a substantial price increase on the Speedmaster Professional, and their go-to excuse of choice is the co-axial escapement.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Not to start yet another WR conversation, but according to Omega's own chart, 100M would rate the Speedy for snorkeling. Personally, that would be the last box to check for myself to make it a "GADA" watch. The 358 days a year I'm not on the beach, it absolutely handles everything.
The thought of sand touching my hesalite is the stuff of nightmares haha

·
Registered
358 Posts
I'm hoping & praying that there will be a Speedmaster Pro with the 3861 movement for Jan. 2021. If they take the current hesalite version and just put the 3861 movement in it, I will be more than happy to buy it even if they increase the MSRP from $5350 to $6950. It will be well worth it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Not to start yet another WR conversation, but according to Omega's own chart, 100M would rate the Speedy for snorkeling. Personally, that would be the last box to check for myself to make it a "GADA" watch. The 358 days a year I'm not on the beach, it absolutely handles everything.
I totally agree with this. I love my Speedy w/hesalite. I don't really care about the updated movement. BUT, if it were water resistant to 100M - enough so I wouldn't freak if I went into the pool or beach with it - I doubt it would ever leave my wrist. It's funny that I wear more expensive watches to the beach...???

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
Perhaps anything more may entail screw crown and that will make daily winding a bit more annoying. I'm also not sure if anyone makes non-screw pushers with 10 bar water resistance.
Blancpain Fifty fathoms and seamaster pro 300m chronograph pushers are not screw-in. Both 30 bars. FF chronograph can be operated underwater, not sure about the seamaster, but I'm not expecting any less.

·
Registered
74 Posts
All Omega WR ratings reflect the depth to which they are certified for: https://www.omegawatches.com/fileadmin/Customer_Service/omega_water_resistance_chart.pdf

30m to 200m: "Watches resistant to water up to specified depth"

·
Registered
74 Posts
Blancpain Fifty fathoms and seamaster pro 300m chronograph pushers are not screw-in. Both 30 bars. FF chronograph can be operated underwater, not sure about the seamaster, but I'm not expecting any less.
As per my link above, all Omega watches rated 300m to 1200m: "Watches resistant to water up to specified depth fitted with additional devices suitable for underwater usage".

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
Also not sure about the Seamaster 300 m chronograph and using the pushers under water, but the Planet Ocean works. What looks like screw down pushers is really screw up, i.e the seals around the pushers can be easily replaced without having to open the case. Nifty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I went to the AD a few months ago and was told that the price increase should be $1,000 from where the models are at now.

My question is how hard will it be to get a new when they finally release? I have been in the market for a little bit and upgraded tech doesn’t bother me as long as the exterior stays pretty much the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,992 Posts
In my experience, many employees at watch and jewelry stores are often out of the loop compared to enthusiasts. If I had to guess the employee is talking about the new 321 Speedmaster, which is priced about double the regular Speedmaster. The base Speedmaster has remained virtually unchanged for decades. As a result, I doubt Omega would ever abandon whatever they are calling the 3570. I think it's much more likely they will offer another variant.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I totally agree with this. I love my Speedy w/hesalite. I don't really care about the updated movement. BUT, if it were water resistant to 100M - enough so I wouldn't freak if I went into the pool or beach with it - I doubt it would ever leave my wrist. It's funny that I wear more expensive watches to the beach...???
It didn't freak out NASA and they did test them down to 25 real meters of real water.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
As much as I loved my Daytona (finally, a chrono that is not too big or too thick!), I sold it for two reasons: No date (amazing how much I depend on that); and stupid screw-down pushers (I, too, use a chrono for timing almost every day). I regret almost daily letting my 3551.20 Broad Arrow go. 😞
you can leave them unscrewed if thats your thing. the screwa are there to avoid accidentally stopping/activating the pushers. you can even swim with the pushers unscrewed, just dont push them under water

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
That’s because the WUS collective is really silly about water resistance. I’ve read at least twice in the last week that people don’t consider the Speedmaster suitable for everyday use because it is “only” resistant to 50 meters and they may encounter light drizzle on their commute to work.

Seriously, if 50 meters ever prove to be insufficient on your way to work you probably have bigger problems than the WR rating of your watch.
My understading is its not 50mtrs under water. its the "pressure" equivalent to 50mtrs. so if youre in a pool and your hand sitting 1 meter below, and you move your hand around, that movement is increasing the pressure of the water to the watch. its not the same placing the watch still 1mtr under water.

·
Registered
12,152 Posts
I wonder whether NASA would actually go through the hassle of recertifying the 3861 equipped Speedy Pros, as opposed to just stockpiling a bunch of 1861s. In particular, unless Omega pays for the recertification, I seriously doubt it will happen.
The manual wind Speedmasters are not part of the current NASA inventory. Russia issues them to cosmonauts and astronauts that fly via Soyuz. NASA uses the X-33 (1st/2nd gen). NASA's not going to qualify another Speedmaster for Omega. Omega may pay to recreate the tests and claim similarity.

·
Registered
12,152 Posts
Good point, especially considering the care one has to take currently when using Polywatch (or something similar) on the Hesalite model. But I'm assuming a bezel upgrade comes with a crystal upgrade as well, so probably moot there.
Huh? You mean I've been polishing my Moonwatch the wrong way for the past 20 years? I just dab it in the middle of the crystal, take a t-shirt and rub it for a few minutes. I've never harmed the bezel, and not sure how I would.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
My understading is its not 50mtrs under water. its the "pressure" equivalent to 50mtrs. so if youre in a pool and your hand sitting 1 meter below, and you move your hand around, that movement is increasing the pressure of the water to the watch. its not the same placing the watch still 1mtr under water.
I believe that that is myth - movement under water doesn’t materially change the pressure exerted on the watch.

·
Registered
393 Posts
For other brands, maybe. But - as discussed a dozen times before - Omega actually test and guarantee to the quoted depth rating. So when Omega say 50 meters, you're actually good to go up to 50 meters :)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Yes, that's true.

Now, do the maths and please tell us how much the presure increases because your underwater activity, or even by throwing yourself head first to the water.

61 - 80 of 92 Posts