WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just helped a friend buy the SNA139, really great deal $105 for a titanium. He loves the watch, it's light and fairly thin (about 10mm).Unfortunately the lume is horrible. This is one of the main reasons he opted for a Seiko based on my SKX173 (the lume is fantastic).

He will be returning the watch is is wondering what to look for. Is there way to tell about the lume quality re: various models?

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
This isn't that complicated, you buy a little chronograph with tiny markers and it will have tiny lume if you want big lume buy big markers DUH!

sorry pre coffee post!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, first, from pics it looked like the whole numbers were lumed on this watch. I guess that may not be the case.

Second, your'e not giving much help here. Is there a more definitive way to judge lume without having the watch in hand?

Lastly, go pull yourself a shot like I just did (an Americano actually) :-!

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
OK, first, from pics it looked like the whole numbers were lumed on this watch. I guess that may not be the case.

Second, your'e not giving much help here. Is there a more definitive way to judge lume without having the watch in hand?

How about a little Cuban coffee to get the day in gear.......as far as I know, Seiko uses superluminova on all of their watches....while a bad batch is possible, I believe that oldecrow is probably on target....

·
Registered
735 Posts

I would have thought the who;e numbers lumed as well, but I have 4 Seiko's with little dots for lume and don't find them to be a problem in the dark. Obviously, with little dots, the lume doesn't jump out at you, but I don't have trouble reading them in total darkness.

I doubt you'll find a similarly laid out watch with better lume, so I'd try to identify a replacement before I sent it back. If you can't find a comparable watch with full lume numbers, or BIG superluminova dots, I'd tell your friend to keep the one he bought.

·
Premium Member
10,590 Posts
Seikos consistently have some of the best lume of any watch with similar layout. While its possible that the watch was either a part of a bad batch or older - its more likely that the lume is fine for the size of the area painted.

However, if he's not happy with it I vote for return it - Seiko or not!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the comments, they are helpful.

Any suggestions for a nother model along the same lines/price point? Obviously some models get more lume than others, monsters and most the 200m divers always get comments for the incredible lume.

I think you may be right though, it's probably just a case of comparing the small dots on his watch to the large indices on my SKX173.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts