WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've really made a big mistake whilst changing a strap and put a gouge of about 1mm deep in the side of my Airman! :cry:

I've put it into a watch repairers to see what they can do, but I'm so annoyed with myself. :-|

Sorry, just had to share my annoyance with myself! :(

·
Registered
8,835 Posts
Bummer, brah!
That's one reason I don't change straps/bracelets often! Hopefully the watchmaker can buff gouge out.

·
Registered
946 Posts
you could always send it in to Stowa. Jorg can refinish it like new. might even do it for free. he did in my case. still cost me because of all the shipping and duties. but it was worth it. and he threw in another free strap as well!

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
A gouge? Ouch! Were you using one of those spring bar tools? I never use those except on bracelets...always use a thin blade to slide in between the strap and lug and coax the pin loose. I have an old swiss army pen knife that I use just for this purpose.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses, I have it in for repair with a local watchmaker and will see what happens then.

@Peter Atwood - I've learnt that lesson and wont use a spring bar tool for that again! :(

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Sucks. Hope it buffs out for you.

For spring pins, I too use a dull utility knife blade as suggested above. Good idea.

For screwed pins, another good idea is to put scotch tape over them first. That way, if the screw driver slips, you have a little buffer!

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Hell, I thought everyone taped their lugs? I double tape and still mess up a bit but slight slips are almost gouge free. Now those double screws of my PD are another story. But that may just be me, lol.

Hope the gouges can be buffed out.

paul

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Good luck with the repair. As mentioned previously, I too am paranoid and don't change straps as often as others do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts