WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there,

I just watched the preview to the new movie I am legend starring Will Smith.

In the preview there is a quick moment showing the watch he is wearing.
Just wondering if any1 knows the watch or maker they could identify it for me. Tried searching on the net although my search has come up 0 at this stage. o| Thought maybe an expert here could identify it for me :-!

It has a digital read out at the bottom, circle style face, normal hand clock face numbering and 24 hour numbering on the inside of the face. Its the kind of watch that would be handy for me and I think its quite stylish.
http://profile.imageshack.us/user/sharkysharks/images/detail/#530/watchtr1.jpg
I could not see any brand name on the watch.

with thanks
Sharkysharks

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Sorry. Never seen it before. There are no identifying markings at all on the dial, which is unusual for any manufacturer; I can't immediately think of a watch that has no brand/model name on the dial.

Most watches that appear in the movies are regular retail models. I can't imagine any watch company objecting to the free publicity. Obviously some companies do pay, such as Omega in the recent Bond movies. Maybe as this is sci-fi, it is a prop.:think: Hopefully someone has more info about it for you.

Strange things also happen to watches in the movies. In Minority Report, Tom Cruise wears an Omega X-33 that famously and inexplicably gets re-branded as a Bvlgari half way through the film.

Cool trailer, though. I think I'll see it in the theater rather than wait for Netflix!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for the reply. Yer I was expecting to see some sort of identifying logo or mark but yep nothing. Hope its not a prop, and yes the flick does look good it will be interesting to see how it goes on the big screen.

Thanks again for the reply :)

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Nice one, BrokenE!|> So either the logo is in the shadow, or they blacked it out. I can't imagine it is the latter as I am sure Swiss Army would be thrilled that Will Smith is sporting one of their watches in a major motion picture.

·
Registered
561 Posts
It is a Hamilton Khaki Twilight, I wasn't able to find nything online yet but there is n ad for it in the Dec. iW magazine.

·
Registered
561 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
so my interest was peaked so I watched the trailer and sure enough it is not the watch he has on, but it is the watch in the ad promoting the movie:-s....I would still say it is a Hamilton though as they have been tied to a lot of Will Smith movies and as they are running such a big ad promoting the watch/movie, I doubt they would agree to do so if another manufacturer was in the picture

·
Registered
6 Posts
Glad I wasn't the only one wondering about that watch.

The logo has indeed been removed and it looks like a lot of effort went into removing it as the "12" is not present in the original watch. I took a screen shot from the HD version of the trailer and found a nice picture of the ST 4K.

I'm no expert but from what I remember you have to obtain permission in some cases to use a registered trademark. From Wiki " A trademark is a type of intellectual property, and typically comprises a name, word, phrase, logo, symbol, design, image, or a combination of these elements."

My guess is that they didn't get permission or had another company lined up.
Picture 2.jpg Picture 3.jpg

Nice one, BrokenE!|> So either the logo is in the shadow, or they blacked it out. I can't imagine it is the latter as I am sure Swiss Army would be thrilled that Will Smith is sporting one of their watches in a major motion picture.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
maybe victorinox weren't interested in paying for the publicity so the logo was tipp exed out

·
Registered
5 Posts
maybe victorinox weren't interested in paying for the publicity so the logo was tipp exed out
They probably weren't interested because the watch doesn't work very well...look at the time displyed digital vs analog...lol.

I meant to comment on the details of the movie watch vs the real watch, but i had to tend to something else. But yes the logo is missing and the 12 was inserted.

I think the watch looks fairly cool in the movie but the real thing, not so much..imho. In searching to ID this watch I also came across several suunto watches...those are fairly nice & sporty looking.

·
Registered
679 Posts
This is the Hamilton Khaki Twilight with a metal band.

The watch worn by Will Smith in the movie still looks a lot like that Swiss Army ST4000..

Personally, I can't wait for the movie to come out. I've read the original novel by Richard Matheson and although the movie adaptation has some noticeable differences from the novel, the film previews look really good.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
...Personally, I can't wait for the movie to come out. I've read the original novel by Robert Matheson and although the movie adaptation has some noticeable differences from the novel, the film previews look really good.
I am also very keen to see the movie, but it is a remake of Omega Man, starring Charlton Heston, also based on the Matheson book. Never read the book, but both Smith and Heston play a character called Robert Neville. I haven't seen Omega Man for years, but it was good. However, even before Omega Man the book had already been filmed as The Last Man on Earth, starring Vincent Price. So Smith's effort is a remake of a remake!

As to removing the logo, I can only think that if Will Smith is wearing a Hamilton in promotional material for I Am Legend, then Hamilton expect to be the only watch seen in the movie. If so, Hamilton obviously doesn't make a cool enough looking watch, hence the altered Swiss Army!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts