WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I am in a small town in Germany called Tiengen / Lauchringen... about 20 mins away from Basel.

What are some things that I should check out or do around here?

Watch shops? What shop has some nice 2nd hand collections?

I'm here until Dec 10

Cheers...

·
Registered
126 Posts
In Basel: Chronometrie Spinner & Schweizer sells 2600 new watch models but also specializes in collecting, restoring and selling old clocks and watches. Am Marktplatz 11. www.spinnler-schweizer.ch (in German) +41 61 269 97 00
The Historical Museum features 15th-19th c. Western European sundials, clocks and timepieces. Haus zum Kirschgarten, Elisabethenstrasse 27/29. Tél : +41 (0)61/205 86. Closed Sat. open Wed. 10-8, Sat. 1-5, all other days 10-5.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You may also consider to visit Klaus Jakob ("Jacques Etoile") in Lörrach.
I was just in Lorrach, but I only went there to go to CITI Bank...

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In Basel: Chronometrie Spinner & Schweizer sells 2600 new watch models but also specializes in collecting, restoring and selling old clocks and watches. Am Marktplatz 11. www.spinnler-schweizer.ch (in German) +41 61 269 97 00
The Historical Museum features 15th-19th c. Western European sundials, clocks and timepieces. Haus zum Kirschgarten, Elisabethenstrasse 27/29. Tél : +41 (0)61/205 86. Closed Sat. open Wed. 10-8, Sat. 1-5, all other days 10-5.
I went to Spinner & Schweizer and got a nice ROLEX catalog. I also dropped by some other shops... got some goodies as well.

Anyone know of any shops that carry a great selection of German watches... in Basel or anywhere in Germany?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I hope you will be able to find something while on your trip. I was 2 times for 3 weeks each time in Frankfurt this year and had not time to visit Sinn o|

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got a chance to visit Ickler and met the man himself... small shop... but very nice to see. Saw some new Archimede collection. will post pix sometime soon

·
Registered
338 Posts
For watches - Kurz, Bucherer, Gübelin, are all in a row up Freie Strasse.
There is an antique dealer with watches farther up from Bucherer, on the opposite side of the street on the corner.
Au Bijou Basel is across from the Post Office on Rüdengasse - he has Zeno Watch Basel and Junghans.
There is another antique shop right up from Marktplatz on Gerbergasse (I think) (away from the Rhine anyway).
and there is Heinzelman in Klein Basel
There are a ton of shops in Basel, just look up Uhren on tel.search.ch

Other things - see the Muenster, the Spalentor, 70 some museums in the Basel area, buy me a beer:) - what else are you interested in?

And I just realized I'm late...
Damn, I should check here more often.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Ok this is completely not watch related and I might be going off topic but near Basel (maybe 20 minute train ride) in Mulhouse (France) is a really fantastic car museum called schlumpf collection. If you like cars you really should go as its probably one of the best.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For watches - Kurz, Bucherer, Gübelin, are all in a row up Freie Strasse.
There is an antique dealer with watches farther up from Bucherer, on the opposite side of the street on the corner.
Au Bijou Basel is across from the Post Office on Rüdengasse - he has Zeno Watch Basel and Junghans.
There is another antique shop right up from Marktplatz on Gerbergasse (I think) (away from the Rhine anyway).
and there is Heinzelman in Klein Basel
There are a ton of shops in Basel, just look up Uhren on tel.search.ch

Other things - see the Muenster, the Spalentor, 70 some museums in the Basel area, buy me a beer:) - what else are you interested in?

And I just realized I'm late...
Damn, I should check here more often.
Thanks Rick... I did hit that row of watch shops on Freie Strasse.

I missed out on the antique stores though.

I'm thinking of going back in late march/early april... so i'll keep these places in mind.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok this is completely not watch related and I might be going off topic but near Basel (maybe 20 minute train ride) in Mulhouse (France) is a really fantastic car museum called schlumpf collection. If you like cars you really should go as its probably one of the best.

I'll have to chek that out next time...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts