WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only had this watch a week, and my arm brushed close to the kitchen counter and whacked the crystal right off the watch. :-|
With it the second hand is gone, can't find it anywhere.

Where do I buy a new second hand?
How do I get the crystal back on?

I have a case wrench, does the crystal go in from the back, or with a crystal compressor from the front?

It's a Seamaster bumper, case number C2577-2
Cal 351, Movement number 12437976

broken_zps3ed7ac23.jpg

( I also posted this in the Omega forum)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ouch! A watchmaker can put the crystal back on failing all else, no big deal, just protect it from dust. But you can't find the second hand? That's going to hurt, I doubt it will be easy to find another one without cannibalizing.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I have only had this watch a week, and my arm brushed close to the kitchen counter and whacked the crystal right off the watch. :-|
With it the second hand is gone, can't find it anywhere.

Where do I buy a new second hand?
How do I get the crystal back on?

I have a case wrench, does the crystal go in from the back, or with a crystal compressor from the front?

It's a Seamaster bumper, case number C2577-2
Cal 351, Movement number 12437976

View attachment 1294779

( I also posted this in the Omega forum)
I would definitely keep searching for the sweep. Try sweeping the entire kitchen area with a small broom. I doubt it wound up in another dimension.

Is the sweep metal? I used a big magnet once to pick up watch parts including metal hands. But keep it away from the movement.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
That is a very nice dial. It looks like you are missing the armoured ring, which might be why it came out so easily. I recommend buying a new genuine crystal, this one will likely come out again.

You should persist (magnet) finding the seconds hand, while you can buy new - it won't match the beautiful aging on the hands. You have a really excellent example, its worth the time.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does that mean that I have lost this outer ring bezel?

Then I'd better send it to someone good to get it fixed.........

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Does that mean that I have lost this outer ring bezel?

Then I'd better send it to someone good to get it fixed.........
No, nothing so drastic.

Trim is refering to the tension ring which fits inside the crystal.
The correct crystals are termed armed acrylics or armed hesalites and come complete with these
rings fiited inside the rim of the crystal. Genuine Omega armed hesalites have the Omega symbol
in the center of the crystal.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Hi there,

I'm afraid your kitchen counter is no suitable hand lifter, and I suspect, the second-hand post is also gone, the more as it is rather delicate on this calibre. You'll need a donor movement or a watchmaker with access to Omega parts.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is it possible that the post remained?

I took some close up photos. I see something small sticking up.

pin9_zpsf7dc36a2.jpg

pin8_zps2a0aad61.jpg

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
Not a big issue to repair
If you need some watch maker in Pennsylvania, I can recomend the best.
PM me

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Yes post is there, but is now bent and needs to be straightened - so send to a competent watchmaker.

Please continue hunting for your hand. It will be magnetic, so using a magnet you should be able to find it - possibly under the refrigerator.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Little trick I use whenever I lose watch parts: Put a pantyhose over the nozzle of your vacuum cleaner.. That way it will collect all small parts lying on the floor. Careful though, a second hand is easily damaged..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts