WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
Go into water REALLY REALLY slowly and you should be fine. At NO TIME, wave your arm under water, the added pressure will SURELY exceed pressure of depth of 100m. Don't forget that when they say 100m, it is STATIC pressure and not dynamic one.

Just stand still like you have grenade strapped on your wrist without a pin and you will be fine.

Enjoy your beach.

/s

·
Registered
376 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
A 100m rated watch is fine for swimming and snorkelling as I have done so. Scuba diving where the watch is under pressure for a longer time, say an hour, is where the 200m watch is more suitable, rather than short excursions diving down using only breath hold. Deeper down the water gets colder and puts more strain on the watch. I scuba dived for some years with a Seiko 70m Rally Diver, but eventually it began to leak causing the watch to fog. I then switched to a Tuna 600 for scuba, but have used 100m watches for snorkelling where they have some other feature such as a tide indicator. The Tuna was selected for its ability to ward off underwater knocks.

Don’t listen to landlubbers who seldom get the top of their head wet.

·
Premium Member
2,016 Posts
Looks good on your wrist! Vance.

·
Registered
510 Posts
have used 100m watches for snorkelling where they have some other feature such as a tide indicator.
Talk to me about watches with a tide indicator. Which watches have this complication?

I’m often in the sea but use an old-fashioned tide table. A watch with a tide indicator would be neat.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Talk to me about watches with a tide indicator. Which watches have this complication?

I’m often in the sea but use an old-fashioned tide table. A watch with a tide indicator would be neat.
The Surf watch companies such as Rip Curl and Maxum offered tide watches both in digital and analogue displays. The latter analogue watches either have a sub dial tide indicator or a full dial indicator such as the Shimano Triton Tide Watch seen here. Most are different casings of the same movement depending on the dial layout.
Watch Product Black Font Clock

·
Registered
721 Posts
Reactions: Saswatch

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
We're all joking on this thread here but as a brand owner I had to increase my WR for a diver model from 100m to 200m due to the misinformation and misunderstanding from potential customers in relation to what water resistance actually means...

I'm a guy that swims with my 3 ATM Speedmaster because I do check seals regularly and know what ISO 22810 (the general WR standard) tests for. Just remember to not push the pushers or pull out the crown underwater.

Oh and one day I hope to do a H. Moser and release a 50m dive watch just for giggles - it won't be a professional saturation diving capable piece - but 99.999% of its wearers won't be saturation divers either.

WR is my Quixotic windmill - as a watch designer I despair when people are afraid of getting a <300m WR watch wet or make up silly claims about dynamic pressure/heat expansion in showers etc. There are real consequences of expanding WR - not just cost, but actually making the watch thicker (beyond comfortable limits in my opinion) - wouldn't you rather a 10-12mm diver than a >16mm Omega 300m WR diver?

My upcoming diver will be 11.4mm and 200m WR - it would have been nice to remain at 100m WR and maybe get to 10.XXmm height - but have to be cognisant of the market and its demands...

·
Registered
510 Posts
There are real consequences of expanding WR - not just cost, but actually making the watch thicker (beyond comfortable limits in my opinion) - wouldn't you rather a 10-12mm diver than a >16mm Omega 300m WR diver?
I regularly use my watches in and under water, and I'd far rather have a 10-12mm diver. Despite a technical diving background, I don't need 300m WR.

And I'm glad you highlighted the downside (undue case thickness) of high WR.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts