WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,

I don't have a G shock actually but I do have a relatively new Waveceptor wv-58a watch. I 've to date NEVER been able to have it sync any sort of time. I've tried everything , i mean how high altitude do I have to be? I'm in Sarasota, Florida, I've set my home city to Miami on the watch and I've tried to manual sync it but everytime it has come up with "ERR." I do see signal bars on it , I leave it stationary, have tried it outside, have tried pointing to the direction of Colorado.. nothing. :-(

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Altitude shouldn't have anything to do with your watch synching, but the "manual synching" part probably does!

Most of us living in the US (especially the eastern half) have trouble synching during the daytime, since the radio signals used by the Ft. Collins transmitter travel farther at night. Here's a map from the "Resources" section showing the different coverage areas: https://www.watchuseek.com/f17/resources-file-179140.html#post2453577

Casio designs most of their newer atomic watches to synch between midnight and 5 AM local time, when the signal is likely to be strongest and when most people's watches aren't moving around.

The best advice seems to be "let your watch auto-receive during the night, try putting your watch on the sill of a west-facing (or in your case, west- OR north-facing window), and if necessary, try different locations each night until you find a spot where it synchs." Here's another (very) recent thread where someone couldn't get their new watch to manually synch either, but it worked overnight: https://www.watchuseek.com/f17/auto-receive-gw6900-1-a-948238.html

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Altitude shouldn't have anything to do with your watch synching, but the "manual synching" part probably does!

Most of us living in the US (especially the eastern half) have trouble synching during the daytime, since the radio signals used by the Ft. Collins transmitter travel farther at night. Here's a map from the "Resources" section showing the different coverage areas: https://www.watchuseek.com/f17/resources-file-179140.html#post2453577

Casio designs most of their newer atomic watches to synch between midnight and 5 AM local time, when the signal is likely to be strongest and when most people's watches aren't moving around.

The best advice seems to be "let your watch auto-receive during the night, try putting your watch on the sill of a west-facing (or in your case, west- OR north-facing window), and if necessary, try different locations each night until you find a spot where it synchs." Here's another (very) recent thread where someone couldn't get their new watch to manually synch either, but it worked overnight: https://www.watchuseek.com/f17/auto-receive-gw6900-1-a-948238.html
Thank you for the quick reply. I forgot to mention I tried last night around 10PM EST. Still didn't do it. But I'll be trying continually with these various methods. Thanks.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I live in a smallish two-story townhouse with one set of windows facing approximately toward Ft Collins, and the other facing away. I find, contrary to what one would expect, that my watches all sync brilliantly, a few minutes after midnight, if placed on the ground floor on the away side, in a small bay window.

So the moral is try everything. Radio sync is a gimmick, but it's way cool when it finally works it's way cool.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
10:30 PM is not after midnight, and you're still trying to synch it manually instead of letting it do its thing automatically. Here's another recent thread about someone in Boston who was unable to synch his new G-Shock manually and who got it to synch automatically the next night: https://www.watchuseek.com/f17/auto-receive-gw6900-1-a-948238.html

I'm sorry that you're having problems getting yours to synch, but that "feature" works pretty well for many of us -- I've got eight solar atomics that synch every single night, usually at 12:04 AM.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
10:30 PM is not after midnight, and you're still trying to synch it manually instead of letting it do its thing automatically. Here's another recent thread about someone in Boston who was unable to synch his new G-Shock manually and who got it to synch automatically the next night: https://www.watchuseek.com/f17/auto-receive-gw6900-1-a-948238.html

I'm sorry that you're having problems getting yours to synch, but that "feature" works pretty well for many of us -- I've got eight solar atomics that synch every single night, usually at 12:04 AM.
Well I wasn't exactly aware that there'd be any difference and figured the same mechanism takes place manual or auto. And true, it's not midnight, but I'm getting better signals now than day, if the signal bars mean anything. Yet it makes no difference, ERR upon ERR. The auto sync feature has actually been on since i've bought it a year and half ago, and I'm not even certain it has successfully synced. I'll leave it next to a window overnight and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
There is no difference in what the watch is doing, the difference is in the atmospheric conditions and how much stronger the signal becomes because of this. I really recommend listening to exactly what Mike K has said. His knowledge and advice is always on the button and he has helped many members with this and other issues.

·
Registered
19,330 Posts
Waveceptor / atomic watches use tiny antenna for syncing, it's not always efficient.

Table waveceptor clocks use much bigger antenna so they sync smoothly most of the times.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Like they said, it works best after midnight. Mine syncs several times a week, which is plenty considering the inherent accuracy of the quartz movement.

·
Registered
36,279 Posts
Or he might be located in the bottom of a valley.
Sarasota is on the west coast of Florida with no valley or significant mountains in the way to Ft. Collins.

After midnight, I have synced all my atomic Gs from farther away, in Miami and the Bahamas as well as Key West by putting the watches in the window with the 12 o'clock pointed towards the Midwest antenna. In the Gulf of Mexico, some Gs sync away from the window on their own at 0004, just after midnight.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok well i believe it finally did sync! I left it overnight on a window sill pointing north, and manually set inaccurate time to be able to determine whether it did sync or not. But I can confirm it did, time is spot on now. I guess manual is not as good as auto sync. Thanks for all the assistance i appreciate it.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
There is no difference in what the watch is doing, the difference is in the atmospheric conditions and how much stronger the signal becomes because of this.
Exactly! :)

Waveceptor / atomic watches use tiny antenna for syncing, it's not always efficient.

Table waveceptor clocks use much bigger antenna so they sync smoothly most of the times.
"Exactly!" a second time! :-!

Its also possible Sarasota is out of range.
Possible, but here's a post from someone in Jacksonville who doesn't have much of a problem: https://www.watchuseek.com/f17/original-wave-ceptor-vs-multi-band-6-wave-ceptor-885978-2.html#post6523636

Besides:

Ok well i believe it finally did sync! I left it overnight on a window sill pointing north, and manually set inaccurate time to be able to determine whether it did sync or not. But I can confirm it did, time is spot on now. I guess manual is not as good as auto sync. Thanks for all the assistance i appreciate it.
Glad to hear that the watch IS successfully synching! :) As others have said, though, it's probably not that "manual is not as good as auto synch" but instead it's the time of day or night when you're trying to manually synch. If you're a night owl and try manually synching at 2:30 AM it would probably work just fine as well!

While I'm not sure which Waveceptor model you have, on most G-Shocks the user can see the time and date of the last successful "synch" by pressing a button -- on all 5 solar/atomic models I own it's always the "D" or lower right button. If you can find that feature in your manual that would save you the trouble of having to set it to an incorrect time to make sure it synched. (Casio website's Manual Page -- just enter the 4- digit module number from the back of the watch and it will find your manual: Timepieces(Watches) - Manuals - CASIO )

Congratulations again on getting your watch to synch successfully! :-!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just get waveceptor to sync.

I live in the Yucatan Mexico, reception should be like the east coast. Just Did it. I used to have old wave scepter, it just got old so I bought new one. It never synchronized. I bought Tune ferrite antenna ( High Sensitivity WWVB Atomic Clock Receiver Module Fort Collins 60kHz Receiver | eBayhy). (This is the more sensitive version and you don't need the electronics) I align the rod toward Fort collins and put the watch at the end with 12 o'clock toward the antenna. In the morning it was synchronized. (I dont think you really need the tuning circuit.) The field at the tip of the ferrite is concentrate and its strength is proportional to the length of the rod.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Its also possible Sarasota is out of range.
I visit Port Charlotte once or twice per year. My GW-9300 Mudman would not sync inside the house. I think the distance, and the cinderblock construction hinder it.

It would sync once I put it on the car dashboard in the driveway, with the watch pointing towards CO.

Dave.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings all,

I don't have a G shock actually but I do have a relatively new Waveceptor wv-58a watch. I 've to date NEVER been able to have it sync any sort of time. I've tried everything , i mean how high altitude do I have to be? I'm in Sarasota, Florida, I've set my home city to Miami on the watch and I've tried to manual sync it but everytime it has come up with "ERR." I do see signal bars on it , I leave it stationary, have tried it outside, have tried pointing to the direction of Colorado.. nothing. :-(

Just bought a WV-M60 last weekend. Tried to get it to manual sync with no luck. Checking the watch it hadn't synced since April 2017.
Started reading various posts here and someone had suggested hanging it from a metal bar worked for him. I don't have any metal bars as he had suggested but do have a metal shower rod.Tried that and low and behold my watch synced last night on it's own.
Worth a shot.
Btw, I am in downtown Toronto in a small coach house with lots of buildings around.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts