WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It smells like something died on my wrist.

I am so glad I bought two different types of Maratac Nylon Bands.

I bought a Maratac Bond Nato and a Maratac Mil Series.

One thing I notice between the two is the quality of the nylon.

While the Maratac Bond Nato has very soft nylon.

In my opinion it traps the smell more than the stiff Maratac Mil Series.

Well, that is atleast what I am hoping.

I will see though.

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
6,654 Posts
Agree 100%.

I even avoid to wear nylon strap watches because of the smell build up. :roll:

But i like the look of nylon straps. ;-)

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I am still tempted to still wear the Maratac Bond Nato even though it stinks.

Maybe I can clean it with some soap.

But, that is just alot of work in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was so tempted to just wear the Maratac Mil Series first because you almost knew it would stink right from the start.

But, the Maratac Bond Nato is just so cool looking.

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
You could put it in a little cloth bag and stuff it in the washing machine - however I heard that some of the nylon straps shrink when you do that.

Greetings, Sedi :)

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tip.

I was thinking more like soaking the nylon watch bands in soapy warm water over night.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks.

Yeah, the Maratac Bond Nato feels like cotton compared to the Maratac Mil Series.

The Maratac Mil Series feels like somebody literally cut a seat belt and made a watch band out of it.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
I like that they have taken away that second ring from the six o'clock side.

So there are a total of four rings as opposed to five.

:think: strange - none of my nylon straps smells so far. But You're probably right about the softer straps being more prone to smells. I prefer the DiveTec-straps (sold in Germany via this site: http://www.milwatches.com/index.php....html/XTCsid/50e50dab0aa64245eec898a87bd05a3f )

They are a bit more stiff but comfy nonetheless.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Re: I like that they have taken away that second ring from the six o'clock side.

I wash mine routinely in a mesh bag designed for washing delicates. If it is smells especially, just soak it in white vinegar. You can put them in a zip lock baggie with baking soda, but the vinegar is neater.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Re: I like that they have taken away that second ring from the six o'clock side.

I wash mine routinely in a mesh bag designed for washing delicates. If it is smells especially, just soak it in white vinegar. You can put them in a zip lock baggie with baking soda, but the vinegar is neater.
That works well. I've also used soap and a toothbrush for milder cases...

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
So there are a total of four rings as opposed to five.
Yep - it IMO makes more sense - the extra ring on the bottom of the watch serves no purpose anyway. When I first bought one they only had the black one - now they also got green and orange and lowlite-hardware :-!. Might have to get me another one of those.
Ooops - forgot to add a pic:

Everything is perfectly heat-sealed on those and they are a lot stiffer than the Maratacs (as you can see from the pic).

Just looks perfect on this watch I think.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I wear them in the shower. It's not rocket science.

This is the reason I tend to avoid nylon bands. You have to wear them in the shower (at least once a day), plus wash/rinse them again anytime you workout or do something active, just to keep them from smelling. They are just too wet for too much of the time.

That's why I tend to prefer resin bands.

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
:think: I don't know how you guys do that but none of my nylon bands does smell. But most of them don't get worn on a day to day basis so that might be the reason - they got plenty of time to dry should they ever get wet - it's the same with shoes - I wouldn't wear the same shoes two days in a row (at least I try to avoid it). That's probably why I got as many shoes as I got watches - maybe even more :-d.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm with Sedi. I don't wear the same strap daily, and I always give the strap time to dry if its wet. Plus I make sure to wear them in the shower, the soap residue is more than enough to ensure a thorough cleansing.

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
I've never noticed a smell. After a week's wear I give them a light scrub under the tap and that seems to be enough. After towelling them dry I have never noticed them staying wet for ages either.

I've always been puzzled by these reports. Maybe my olfactory nerves are disconnected...

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
:think: strange - none of my nylon straps smells so far. But You're probably right about the softer straps being more prone to smells. I prefer the DiveTec-straps (sold in Germany via this site: http://www.milwatches.com/index.php....html/XTCsid/50e50dab0aa64245eec898a87bd05a3f )

They are a bit more stiff but comfy nonetheless.

Yes, I think a lot of the "aroma" has to do with genetic make-up of the wearer, unfortunately. All my cloth straps come up smelling like roses.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts