WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Some of you already know i just got my Gs-1000 from Seiya the other day. I posted my comments about this amazing watch in another thread. However, I am pretty frustrated now not being able to get the atomic signal to work for the last 3 days.

I know i have my home city set correctly. I have even gotten the watch to indicate from READY to WORK a few times. It will shift back and forth from READY to WORK in certain locations of my home so it appears it is working correctly, however in the end of the cycle, it indicates N.

Can someone suggest anything? I am in the LA area (Valley) and have tried to sync in all 4 corners of my home and work (nearly 25 miles way). Does anyone know of a for sure lcoation I can sync at least once with? I am willing to drive there and sync it - and never worry about it again.

Any ideas? I got a great suggestion about using a cordless phone base attenna to help pull something in, but no luck.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Maybe DST setting?

I have not been able to sync my Giez manually during the day.

Mine only auto syncs at night, and it doesn't seem to matter which corner of the house (as long as it's close to a window and using the "sync position" of the watch).

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Sardarji

These problems are usually related to incorrect home city issues.

Just to make sure, enter world time mode and then go around the dial until you get to your home city the watch should then beep to indicate that it is properly set as your home city. If it doesn't or beeps at some other city then you need to go through home city setting again.

Mitch

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sardarji

These problems are usually related to incorrect home city issues.

Just to make sure, enter world time mode and then go around the dial until you get to your home city the watch should then beep to indicate that it is properly set as your home city. If it doesn't or beeps at some other city then you need to go through home city setting again.

Mitch
Hi Mitch,
Thanks for your reply - but I have already confirmed that it beeps twice at least 20 times by now. I keep thinking that it was the home city setting too, but I am now sure it is correct.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe DST setting?

I have not been able to sync my Giez manually during the day.

Mine only auto syncs at night, and it doesn't seem to matter which corner of the house (as long as it's close to a window and using the "sync position" of the watch).
I am still learning about this watch - so I am a little confused on the DST setting you mentioned. Is this similar to the summertime setting which needs to be on or off (small seconds sub-dial showing up or down for on or off)?

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
You're closer to the signal than I am (Ohio) and mine syncs sometimes from the east side of my house through about as many walls as it can get through. Maybe you're in a valley or behind mountains? If that's the case though seems like we'd have heard about LA area folks not being able to sync. Do you have other ceptors that are able to get the signal?

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Hi Mitch,
Thanks for your reply - but I have already confirmed that it beeps twice at least 20 times by now. I keep thinking that it was the home city setting too, but I am now sure it is correct.
Tricky!

Are you sure that you are in time keeping mode? It is possible to switch between a world time city and your home city by holding down A and pressing D. If your world time city and home city were the same you could still be in world time without it being obvious and the watch wouldn't sync.

I think you go back by pressing B. If your world time city was different to your home city this shouldn't be the problem as you would realise the time was incorrect.

Mitch

·
Registered
222 Posts
FWIW, my waveceptor is in a northern california area with very finicky reception. I finally worked out that it will only sync at the preset 4am sync-try when on the top sill of my bathroom window. Other locations (and other times !) don't work. It's odd because my window faces the neighbor's house just 10 feet or so away. One would think that this should make for bad reception because it's not facing somewhere more open. Who knows, perhaps this location just happens to catch the signal as it's being reflected from something(s).

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
My Giez syncs quite well, but sometimes (atmospheric events???) it doesn't. It syncs in a closed wooden box on the north side of my house (Colorado is south); sometimes it doesn't. Don't get too frustrated. Perhaps leaving it by something with an antenna (radio, cordless phone base, etc.?) will work. I've done this and it works, though I can't confirm it's the antena and not simply chance. Hope you get it to work to your satisfaction. It's not, BTW, an issue with your home city, etc.; you simply aren't getting good signals.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My Giez syncs quite well, but sometimes (atmospheric events???) it doesn't. It syncs in a closed wooden box on the north side of my house (Colorado is south); sometimes it doesn't. Don't get too frustrated. Perhaps leaving it by something with an antenna (radio, cordless phone base, etc.?) will work. I've done this and it works, though I can't confirm it's the antena and not simply chance. Hope you get it to work to your satisfaction. It's not, BTW, an issue with your home city, etc.; you simply aren't getting good signals.

Thanks for the feedback guys... I guess I just need to wait it out a little longer and pray I catch a signal someplace.

Thanks

·
Registered
747 Posts
I was in San Diego a couple of weeks ago and my atomic G-Shock sync'd just fine every night. FWIW, I was on the 17th floor of the hotel, though. b-)

·
Registered
472 Posts
Then does elevation play a major role in what kind of reception we get with our watches? I live in Idaho which, I believe, is much higher than L.A. Maybe that's a big part of it. Just guessing though.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Some other tips:
Make sure the watch is oriented face up with the 12 o'clock position of the watch facing the window. Also, it may not sync if near electronic equipment, metal, or magnetic fields. Mine wouldn't sync until I realized I was leaving it on top of a metal watch case :)

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
It will not work well at all if near a running PC. Try to get an AM radio station next to a PC. They put out a lot of interference.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
It works on a radio waves, so any antenna designed to pick up radio signals could help amplify the signal if the watch is touching it. My dad's waveceptor (same module as this Giez) didn't receive a signal for 2 months, but has received signals regularly ever since (albeit with regular breaks in between of 4-5 days). He just wears the watch to bed without even bothering to aim it at a window etc. The signals definitely have a better chance to be received during the early hours of the morning.

One theory that I've heard is that satellites use atomic clocks (built in) and can also transmit time signals themselves...this could explain why we regularly get the signal so far away from Japan at regular intervals, although ham radio signals can travel round the world off the ionosphere at night too if conditions are good. I'm wondering of LA's smog is preventing strong signals coming through. :think:

I wouldn't worry about it. It won't be something wrong with the watch. LA is notorious for poor signal reception. A watched pot never boils and all that. o| ;-)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I tried it again, but I know I was too early in the evening. I am going to wait it out and pray that one day it will just grab the signal in the middle of the night. I'll wear it to bed when I can. I'll just have to explain to the wifey why I did... She already thinks I'm nuts 'cause I keep staring at my watches all day long as if they were any different than the month before... ;-)

·
Registered
747 Posts
I line up my 4 Casio atomic watches on my window sill with the 12 o'clock position towards the window glass everynight and I always get the max signal reading on the first try at midnight. I live in northeast Texas. It's just great to see all four showing the same time in sync down to the second. b-)

edited to add: One time I was down in Austin and did not leave the watch I was wearing by the window and it did not get a signal.

·
Registered
496 Posts
My only advice to you is to be patient and it will sync!!!

I live in Seattle Wa and when I got my GIEZ1000 from Seiya earlier this year it would not sync (manually or overnight) for several days after I got it and set it up. Now it syncs as regularly as my other atomic solar Gs.

When I got mine it was of course not set up to receive a US signal. I set the home location and configured the DST setting to my liking, then I tried manually syncing it many times, all failures. I was starting to think I got a bum watch, but I stuck it out, and within the week it started syncing. :-!

·
Registered
336 Posts
One of my atomics (GW-002KA)syncs inside a fire-proof safe located in my basement every night. I don't know how it can recieve a signal in there, but it does.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
I suspect one of the issues with a new analog atomic (which has been in storage for weeks/months) is that it probably won't have the battery reserves to operate the receiving function, or it uses up too much power on the first few tries and takes the battery down to a level that prevents the full receiving process from being completed. If it's trying to receive every night without enough power reserve, it will just be draining the battery even more.

Solution...make sure your new Giez is fully charged up asap!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts