Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don’t get the point of knowingly purchasing replica watches

Bear with me just a bit. A friend of mine was tempted about buying a Montblanc replica for a bit more than $100, and we got into a bit of a discussion, with me arguing that it isn’t worth it. My points:
1. Unless it is a Rolex, Omega or Cartier, most people will not notice or even recognize a watch, so there’s no point in buying something that nobody will notice. Most people don’t even know what a Zenith is and how it is different from a Stuhrling.
2. I believe that we purchase watches mostly for ourselves. Yes, we get really happy in the odd chance that someone notices our watches and asks us about them, but in reality we are the ones who love and admire our own watches. There’s no point in purchasing a fake because you would be unable to love it.
3. Even if you purchase a fake Rolex that could get noticed, people are going to realize that you can’t really afford it, unless your clothing, car, etc matches it. Who drives a Yugo while sporting a real rolex?
4. Quality wise, you’d be far better off with a Seiko/Swiss Army than with a so-called AAA replica for those $100.

I get that there are replicas out there made to scam well-meaning buyers (who then find out the scam or proudly wear their watches), but why would anyone knowingly purchase a replica?

·
Registered
7,529 Posts
Re: I don’t get the point of knowingly purchasing replica watches

You've just broken the rules, no discussion on replicas.

·
Registered
14,861 Posts

The world is full of very insecure individuals. They have little self worth, and thus need others to be impressed by them. But they've not done anything worthy of others to be impressed by. So, they'll buy a replica luxury watch, and show it off. It's called "fronting." Little more than adults playing pretend in order to impress others around them. A replica Rolex, an Armani label sewn over the actual one of their cheap jacket, leased luxury car that they're behind on in payments, fake Gucci sunglasses, fake jewelry, etc.

All just adults playing pretend, just to get noticed by others who might envy the phoniness that is barely skin deep, without seeing it for what it is.

Reactions: portauto

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

You've just broken the rules, no discussion on replicas.
If that's the case, I'm sorry. I guess I just misinterpreted the rules.

The way I understood it, the point of the rule is to avoid discussion about specific replica watches.

·
Registered
254 Posts

Am I the only one here who doesn't give a thing of others noticing my watch? I'm actually a little bit embarrassed when that happens. I buy watches for myself because I like them, not because I want others to notice them....

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

Am I the only one here who doesn't give a thing of others noticing my watch? I'm actually a little bit embarrassed when that happens. I buy watches for myself because I like them, not because I want others to notice them....
I don’t really care if nobody notices my watches (I don’t even own really noticeable luxury watches like Rolex or Cartier), but I’ve certainly liked the very few occasions when someone have commented on a watch I’m wearing.

I do find it funny that most people, especially women, are more likely to notice a showy Michael Kors over anything I own.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.