WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might get a lot of flack for this... but here goes. I'm all for live and let live, and let others do what they please, after all they shelled out the money so they have that right, obviously. However, after all the posts showing 007 mods I feel like giving my opinion. The SKX007 is the perfect watch in my honest opinion, the design is amazing, the quality is insane for the money, and overall it is an essential part of any collection. Some mods I think look good, such as a domed sapphire crystal, or the PMMM. But when I see a 007 that just isn't a 007 anymore I can't help but wonder why the owner even bought a 007 in the first place. No offense to anyone, but I'd like to hear from the people who have totally redesigned their SKX007's, why did you do it? What about the original design didn't you like or did you feel could be made better? Again, this isn't meant to bash those who have modded their 007's, I'm just genuinely curious as to what inspired these mods. For example I saw an SKX007 that was modded so heavily it looked JUST like a Marathon TSAR, so I couldn't help but think why not just buy a TSAR? I'm sure the amount of money it took to mod it, plus the cost of the watch would equal the cost of a used TSAR. Again, I can't stress enough that I'm not trying to bash anyone, I just want to know you guys' motives behind your mods.

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
Why mod the 007? I'll play.

The stock 007 is a nice basic dive watch but is compromised by the need to keep the pice low (a Monster is better quality a better dive watch, and only a bit pricier if you want to keep your Seiko stock).

Things that can be improved on the 007:

Flat, thin, uncoated cyrstal
Average brushing and polishing
Cheap and nasty bezel insert
Rubbish strap

Solutions:

Fit thick double-domed sapphire
Blast and Cerakote the case
Fit engraved bezel insert
Replace Z22 with NATO or Will Jean MM300 repro strap

You end up with something like this:

After handling this (sadly now departed) mod a stock 007 feels and looks decidedly average.

You DID ask!!!

·
Registered
992 Posts
The bezel inset and dial are pretty crappy IMHO and the bezel action is marginal. I own one but honestly rarely wear it since I have higher grade Seikos like Sumos and Sarbs. I have wondered if I should sell it or mod it. The base watch is great and lets you add a new dial and bezel insert and have an awesome watch.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Im sorry but as for me I have to agree with the OP of this thread. I have to reply to another comment. Marginal Bezel Action at best???Seriously? Ive handled a Rolex Sub and HAVE to comment the Bezel action on the 007 feels smoother by a mile. The only thing I would ever consider changing on both my 007 and 009 would be switching to a Sapphire crystal. I agree with the OP to me the 007 and even The 009 are both perfect the way they are. If you don't care for the stock Z22 Wave strap and still would like to have a rubber strap try an Isofrane. Or do like I have and get a Z22 Flat Vent. Which is miles more comfy than the wave strap. Or try a Super Oyster for a bracelet. I seriously don't see anything wrong with the stock bezel insert either. I know everyone is entitled to their own opinions but for a 150 to 200 dollar Auto Diver you most definitely can't go wrong with the 007 or 009.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 Active

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
There is clearly a market for it. And if you can - why not?
I have one and choose to keep it stock with Jubilee, I like it and don't care if others don't.
It's my watch, no one else's.

If you want to, mod away. If you don't then don't.
No biggie either way. This is a hobby after all.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I probably shouldn't comment here because I don't yet own even one Seiko - but I have modded twenty or so G-Shocks. From my own point of view, I find it very difficult to justify modding a brand new or near mint watches of any brand, and with new G-Shocks I have always limited myself to undertaking reversible mods, i.e., changing modules, straps and/or bezels. However, there are many, many beaten up / abused / broken / neglected watches out there - and, generally speaking, they are cheap as chips. Such watches provide modding enthusiasts with the opportunity to play at Dr. Frankenstein, and revive such beasts with bodyparts from various sources.....they can create the look they want, and obtain a virtually unique watch for themselves - and, let's face it, why on earth would anyone want to restore a really common watch model to it's original state.

New watch mod - Kermit Tribute GF8250 Frogman

Old watch mod - 15 EUR Casio DW6900 Frankenshock

Before

After with mirror LCD, no-bubble hydro conversion, polished stainless and scarlet dye-job.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I like the 007 and the 009 and agree with the OP on all it's fine qualities.

The fact that it lends itself easily to modification is such an added bonus imho!
I'd like to point out that when I mod an 007 it's not because I dislike anything about it.
Echoing what somebody has already said, it's FUN! Simple as that.

I own an all original 009 on stock Jubilee and love it to bits!
There are also 2 007s in my wathcbox which are properly 'molested' which also get lots of wrist time - even the wifey likes 'em.

Don't you just love this hobby?! :-!

·
Banned
2,637 Posts
For some they think their mods are improvement to the 007, like Jason mentioned but I don't agree at all considering some of those mods ruin it imo.

And once again JR mentions about how great he thinks a "Monster" is, which is totally a subjective and definitely NOT a true statement to allot of people including myself.

·
Banned
2,637 Posts
For me mods like a sapphire crystal, more robust bracelet are mods that make the og look that much better. But in the stock configuration it has a cool classic look to it and isn't expensive.

But people usually mod a watch to put their "mark" on it (think of a dog and a fire hydrant) to make it more of a personal connection. But we don't have to all agree on what works. I definitely don't.

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
I never modded my monsters but I can understand why. It's cheap (in price) enough to do and it gives the watch a little individuality even though they are pretty rare to see out in the wild where I live already.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Different strokes for different folks! It's yours to do what you please. Most of mine are all stock,only because ya can't seem to get a hold of any Murphy bezels at this time. Same reason they make custom wheels for cars and trucks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I might get a lot of flack for this... but here goes. I'm all for live and let live, and let others do what they please, after all they shelled out the money so they have that right, obviously. However, after all the posts showing 007 mods I feel like giving my opinion. The SKX007 is the perfect watch in my honest opinion, the design is amazing, the quality is insane for the money, and overall it is an essential part of any collection. Some mods I think look good, such as a domed sapphire crystal, or the PMMM. But when I see a 007 that just isn't a 007 anymore I can't help but wonder why the owner even bought a 007 in the first place. No offense to anyone, but I'd like to hear from the people who have totally redesigned their SKX007's, why did you do it? What about the original design didn't you like or did you feel could be made better? Again, this isn't meant to bash those who have modded their 007's, I'm just genuinely curious as to what inspired these mods. For example I saw an SKX007 that was modded so heavily it looked JUST like a Marathon TSAR, so I couldn't help but think why not just buy a TSAR? I'm sure the amount of money it took to mod it, plus the cost of the watch would equal the cost of a used TSAR. Again, I can't stress enough that I'm not trying to bash anyone, I just want to know you guys' motives behind your mods.

Cool_story_bro.jpg

·
Registered
957 Posts
For some they think their mods are improvement to the 007, like Jason mentioned but I don't agree at all considering some of those mods ruin it imo.

And once again JR mentions about how great he thinks a "Monster" is, which is totally a subjective and definitely NOT a true statement to allot of people including myself.
With any of the Monster's you either love them or hate them. I personally have 3 versions of the Monster. While I like the Monster I still tend to wear and love my 007 and 009 way more. I will say this. One thing missing from the 007 and 009 which if I did nothing else to it is for it to have drilled lugs like the Monster has. And the reason why is its way way easier to do a stap change on one with drilled ligs. Question. ... has anyone here modded their 007 or 009 with drilled lugs?? If so please post a pic of it.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
To the OP: most modders do it for fun. Just about everyone "mods" these in some way: different straps. I think most do it to fix a feature they feel is lacking. And there is a smaller group that take it to the extreme. Usually, I bet you will find these same people can appreciate and may even own a 007 in stock form. Then they may find a deal on one, and want to experiment.

Why should someone not mention their opinion? You're certainly entitled to yours :roll:. I'd have to agree with JR though.

From a purely technical aspect, I would agree the "Monster" is actually a better dive watch.
  • Domed crystal is better underwater as it will less likely act like a mirror (a flat crystal can do this easily, making the quick check of elapsed time take longer).
  • Domed crystal is stronger
  • The Monster bezel is better. It's one-piece stainless, so not prone to the insert coming out.
  • The Monster has a shrouded bezel, protecting the initial setting.
More subjectively, the Monster adds to this with some things I feel make it the overall "nicer" watch, but it doesn't fit everyone's taste:

• I feel the case of the 007 family is nice, but if one looks at the case and bezel of a Monster, it must be noted that it would require more finishing to produce the watch.
  • I'm sure most would agree the Monster bracelet beats any other stock 007 bracelet made in terms of quality.
  • The current Monster line (SRP models) now have applied indices and hacking/handwinding...those are quite significant improvements.

None of this means the 007 is bad. If there were a few things that could be changed, I'd say the following would make it very nice: either use applied indices so the dial markers have chrome borders, or use white-framed hands instead of plated; domed crystal; border the day/date window opening.

Reactions: jason_recliner

·
Banned
2,637 Posts
Guess I am different because I don't "hate" the Monster but I dislike them and the big reason for this is people like JR have repeatly thrown into conversations about how great a Monster is. So it is a aquired dislike.

Drilled lugs on a 007/009 would rock but the price would go up so this wouldn't work for allot of people who bought it due to price.
With any of the Monster's you either love them or hate them. I personally have 3 versions of the Monster. While I like the Monster I still tend to wear and love my 007 and 009 way more. I will say this. One thing missing from the 007 and 009 which if I did nothing else to it is for it to have drilled lugs like the Monster has. And the reason why is its way way easier to do a stap change on one with drilled ligs. Question. ... has anyone here modded their 007 or 009 with drilled lugs?? If so please post a pic of it.

·
Premium Member
4,116 Posts
Its reminds me of the true "Muscle Cars" of the 50's and 60's. Cheap and easily modifiable into race cars. Same thing with Hondas and the less expensive Japanese and German cars. Seiko built these to make a great watch for not a lot of money. Perfect platform for modding and if you screw up, guess what? Buy another...

People will always like to customize and if the budget is right for the watch they are modding, go for it. Clearly, the 007 is NOT perfect for everyone, but to each his own. My opinion, they should have included Sapphire from the factory given its modest price increase over harldlex. But, they made design choices for their target market...

1 - 20 of 71 Posts