WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there. I said it. Nothing personal mind you. But they're too big and lots of times they're too bulky. They've got that funky dial around the outside that doesn't seem to do anything. And I've noticed that manufacturers seem to try to cram more and more dials into that space so that it becomes so busy it becomes a challenge to tell the time of day.
Lots of folks like 'em I know and some of the most iconic watches are divers and I'm definitely in the minority here. And that's OK. I just like a plain watch. Day/date is about as extravagant as it gets and day isn't really necessary.

Next week we'll get into the tachymeters/chronometers. How about a contest to see who has the most dials and numbers rings on their watch?

And no....I'm not criticizing anyone's choice nor trying to belittle any particular style. I really don't like divers but if someone were to gift me...say.. a Rolex Submariner I'd wear that bad boy with pride:)

·
Registered
104 Posts
You had me until the last sentence, now I have to open your eyes. That funky thing around the dial is great for timing eggs, seeing how long you managed to work without distraction and for making nice clicky sounds when youre in public transport. Lastly, have you tried an SKX007, a relatively small diver?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, you are looking for someone to "gift" you a Rolex Submariner.
No No No not at all. I mean if someone were to offer one I'd certainly not turn refuse their generosity. But my preference would be something like an Air King.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I love the overbuilt nature of dive watches but loathe how massive most have become. I have a 7.25" wrist and the SKX007 fits me like it was meant to be there. An 013 might look fine on there too. The bezel is quite handy in day to day life as well. I do agree that sometimes the stylists pen gets a bit.......hectic on some models though.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
there. I said it.
And I agree. There is a handful of divers that I find passable, and they all have in common that they're thin with unobtrusive bezels and more refined dials with numerals.

The typical chunky diver with bold indices and oversized rotating bezel is as boring as a watch can get. Zero refinement, zero originality, and with the instant-gratification appeal of a Big Mac.

In my mind the stereotypical dive watch is a beginners watch. Something you outgrow when you learn to appreciate the finer aspects of horology.

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
there. I said it. Nothing personal mind you. But they're too big and lots of times they're too bulky. They've got that funky dial around the outside that doesn't seem to do anything. And I've noticed that manufacturers seem to try to cram more and more dials into that space so that it becomes so busy it becomes a challenge to tell the time of day.
Lots of folks like 'em I know and some of the most iconic watches are divers and I'm definitely in the minority here. And that's OK. I just like a plain watch. Day/date is about as extravagant as it gets and day isn't really necessary.

Next week we'll get into the tachymeters/chronometers. How about a contest to see who has the most dials and numbers rings on their watch?

And no....I'm not criticizing anyone's choice nor trying to belittle any particular style. I really don't like divers but if someone were to gift me...say.. a Rolex Submariner I'd wear that bad boy with pride:)
So your point is.... .....?

·
Registered
165 Posts

Does this mean you’re a dress watch fan??!! Because I am.... and I feel like I’m in the minority.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Check out the Sin U50

Check out the Sinn U50 41mm x 11.2, or the Orion Calamity 39.5 mm x 11.3

1 - 20 of 199 Posts