WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

121 - 140 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
there. I said it. Nothing personal mind you. But they're too big and lots of times they're too bulky. They've got that funky dial around the outside that doesn't seem to do anything. And I've noticed that manufacturers seem to try to cram more and more dials into that space so that it becomes so busy it becomes a challenge to tell the time of day.
Lots of folks like 'em I know and some of the most iconic watches are divers and I'm definitely in the minority here. And that's OK. I just like a plain watch. Day/date is about as extravagant as it gets and day isn't really necessary.

Next week we'll get into the tachymeters/chronometers. How about a contest to see who has the most dials and numbers rings on their watch?

And no....I'm not criticizing anyone's choice nor trying to belittle any particular style. I really don't like divers but if someone were to gift me...say.. a Rolex Submariner I'd wear that bad boy with pride:)
And your point is?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
It's just interesting conversation about various preferences and it's all in good fun. We get to see some cool watches and poke a little fun at each other. I'm not asking someone to offer me a Rolex, or anything else, for that matter. Like this post or not don't care. Participate or not, again, don't care.

As for what I like....the Sinn 556 is a good example and on my list for future purchase. The Hamilton Khaki field is another. But that Porsche Design IWC.. oooooohhhhhh. I do like that one.

·
Registered
823 Posts
James Bond wears a diver. Those of us who may have to parachute out of a jet-pack into the ocean at any time tend to prefer them. If the high-point of your day is running down to the coffee shop to fetch a latte for your boss, I can see where one might choose a dress watch. It's very much a "to each his own" type of thing.

·
Registered
94 Posts
James Bond wears a diver. Those of us who may have to parachute out of a jet-pack into the ocean at any time tend to prefer them. If the high-point of your day is running down to the coffee shop to fetch a latte for your boss, I can see where one might choose a dress watch. It's very much a "to each his own" type of thing.
This.

I was recently gifted an Orient dress watch. It was a gift from a nice lady who occasionally wears men's watches. I try to avoid the sort of places or events where a dress watch is expected, but I'll find a place to wear it.

OTOH, I love divers and chronographs. Count me among those who think a watch should offer at least one function aside from telling the current time, whether that function is used or not. If I had a bunch of stuff to haul around every day, and I had to choose between a minivan or station wagon and an SUV, I'd take the latter.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Good for you. There are plenty of watches or features I don't like too.

Don't let it bother you if everyone else likes them though. It's no big deal.
Unfortunately, that’s not the world we live in now. If someone doesn’t like something then none of us are allowed to have it. I happen to be offended by people who are offended.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
I figure this makes as much as anything else in this post...... don't like dive watches.. no worries try patent pending "Don't buy them" ... I don't like dress watches using my "Don't buy them" technique I have avoid having a dress watch successfully for over 50yrs now...

·
Registered
403 Posts
OP, Why would anyone want to gift you a watch? And a Submariner too. Very specific it seems. Sounds like you're just gonna flip it.

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
Why is your opinion more valid than the person whose collection it is? You do realize people have different opinions on watch collecting, right? And that these opinions are as equally as valid as yours.
It's not, I just find it very odd. More hoarding than a collection.

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
I mean - it's one dimensional to you, but the owner certainly must see subtle variations and oddities that make the collection worthwhile. I know some guys on here have a collection of numerous Doxas, where the only noticeable difference for someone who isn't 'into Doxas' would be the face color and the name. But within that collection there are subtle variations - an HEV here, a slightly larger face there, a 'true' BOR bracelet in one case versus a fake one in another. Titanium versus Stainless Steel. And so on and so forth. And they wear them all - as the mood strikes.
Not sure about that. Many have 2-3 of the exact model. Hoarding instead of collecting in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Divers Do It Deeper

Reactions: Pilot2

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
Not sure about that. Many have 2-3 of the exact model. Hoarding instead of collecting in my opinion.
I don't think I've seen anyone like that. Maybe two of the same model, if it's rare, or one has sentimental value, so they can rare one and keep the second safe - but multiples of the same model and that's it? The exact same model - no variations or changes between them?

And if these creatures do exist (which I'm not admitting), they're only doing this with dive watches?

Reactions: K. Bosch
121 - 140 of 199 Posts