WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

141 - 160 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
I don't really dislike divers per say but I do find the public obsession with them a bit weird . I also do find it amusing that 99% of people demand more than 100m water resistance on their watch and yet 0.00001% would actually make use of that. 🤷‍♂️

If I'm going diving. I wear a dive computer. Not a "dive watch". I've never in my life had cause for more than 100m water resist and I spend my whole life in and around water.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
If I'm going diving. I wear a dive computer. Not a "dive watch". I've never in my life had cause for more than 100m water resist and I spend my whole life in and around water.
The point of the dive watch, even since its inception, has never truly been to be a piece of diving equipment. Look at how these watches were marketed even in the 50's and 60's. They were no more intended exclusively to dive than a range rover is meant to be used on rough terrain. Now, of course, the fact that they can actually handle those things holds a certain appeal and means something in the mind of the consumer.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Seikos and Invicta Prodivers offer an icredible "nuts and bolts" type of platform. I DID snd the Invicta off the case side, but opted to leave the crown and seconds hand in that iteration. I'm not ashamed of it being an Invicta at all. The next round will have a two tone blue dial and a red handset though.

I have a few Seikos and likely won't mod them at all. If I scratch the hardlex in the SKX I'll probably do a double domed blue AR coated sapphire....because why not?!
Love it - sounds like you're having fun - and that's what matters! Send some pictures when you have more.
I've been playing around with my seikos - but it sounds like Invicta could be a good option for modding too...

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
When first getting into watches I felt the same way. "What is the point of this inner tube looking thing around the dial?" I would probably say. I mean I knew what the bezel was for, but I would never use it, and didn't see why anyone would really. For some reason I just didn't like the look of a black or other colored ring around the dial. I just wanted a plain bezel, maybe a silver bezel with 24-hour or tach was okay, but definitely nothing with color.

I don't know when I really started to want to try to give one a try, probably a year or two after joining the forums, but there were some with very thin bezels like the SKX or the 2500 Planet Ocean which I thought looked okay. Given the love for the SKX007, I bought one kind of on a whim just to give it a shot. Unfortunately for me that opened up a huge rabbit hole of other Seikos and divers, to the point that I wear maybe 75% of the time these days.

·
Premium Member
8,867 Posts
wot? dont like divers? are you poorly?

IMG_8575.jpeg

Reactions: bigclive2011

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
there. I said it. Nothing personal mind you. But they're too big and lots of times they're too bulky. They've got that funky dial around the outside that doesn't seem to do anything. And I've noticed that manufacturers seem to try to cram more and more dials into that space so that it becomes so busy it becomes a challenge to tell the time of day.
Lots of folks like 'em I know and some of the most iconic watches are divers and I'm definitely in the minority here. And that's OK. I just like a plain watch. Day/date is about as extravagant as it gets and day isn't really necessary.

Next week we'll get into the tachymeters/chronometers. How about a contest to see who has the most dials and numbers rings on their watch?

And no....I'm not criticizing anyone's choice nor trying to belittle any particular style. I really don't like divers but if someone were to gift me...say.. a Rolex Submariner I'd wear that bad boy with pride:)
I dont like:
  • Canyon bicycles
  • Wilson squash rackets
  • solid state amplifiers
  • B&W speakers
  • cauliflowers
  • durian
  • Crocs
  • over-sized sunglasses

Reactions: Simon

·
Premium Member
8,867 Posts
God 1000m That will come in SO handy. :rolleyes:
By all means raise your emoji eyes at me & my divers, but I'd prefer you didn't blaspheme around me

Using things to their max capability is something we rarely do:
how often do you drive your car as fast as it can go?
how often do you play your music at full wollop?
Is anything in our lives ever used to its full capacity ???

Reactions: K. Bosch

·
Registered
28,922 Posts
By all means raise your emoji eyes at me, but I'd prefer you didn't blaspheme around me

how often do you drive your car as fast as it can go?
A very valid point.

I had a 1963 Morris Mini and it’s top speed was about 75mph, therefore one would assume that as the speed limit on the UK roads is 70mph that would be just fine.....

Now just you get one and then sit at 70mph for a couple of hours....... 🙉

Whereas my current car will do 170mph, which one could assume was completely ridiculous given the 70mph limit, however at 70mph it is ticking over at 1500rpm 😊

Reactions: K. Bosch and Simon

·
Premium Member
8,867 Posts
A very valid point.

I had a 1963 Morris Mini and it’s top speed was about 75mph, therefore one would assume that as the speed limit on the UK roads is 70mph that would be just fine.....

Now just you get one and then sit at 70mph for a couple of hours....... 🙉

Whereas my current car will do 170mph, which one could assume was completely ridiculous given the 70mph limit, however at 70mph it is ticking over at 1500rpm 😊
Exactly Clive -
have you used your Daytona chrono to time car laps lately?

Reactions: K. Bosch

·
Registered
28,922 Posts
Exactly Clive -
have you used your Daytona chrono to time car laps lately?
No currently only allowed to drive to work so no laps to be timed.

Used it to tell the time yesterday, but it’s a bit hard to read so I just use my I phone.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
I dont like:
  • Canyon bicycles
Interesting. I know a dude that bought one with a carbon frame. It was a 5k plus bike. So I have to ask why?

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
Interesting. I know a dude that bought one with a carbon frame. It was a 5k plus bike. So I have to ask why?
I exaggerated a little - "wont buy" would have been more accurate. But reasons: more reported issues and the lack of a local bike shop means that I have to ship them a quarter of the way across the world if i need any warranty. And with their newer prices, they arent as much of a deal as they used to be. Lastly, and this is the most unforgiveable of sins, they are fugly (except the all-black variants, which look like pretty much every other bike out there). :)

Reactions: eblackmo
141 - 160 of 199 Posts