WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

eBay seller's picture.

It's described as a 21 jewel Sea Gull movement with day/date.

·
Registered
689 Posts
call me crazy but that movement looks like it has something missing could it possibly be a movement converted to manual wind by having had its auto wind module removed ? then again it could just be the finish although there does seem to be quite a few holes on the movement. Hang on a sec is that an ESA logo under the balance wheel or possibly a DG logo. Im not being very helpful am I lol.

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It looks like a manual winding ST-7 to me.
Ok; now I remember :-d I nshould have twigged when I saw the micro adjuster on the regulator lever.

There have been a couple of threads on it. The 21 jewel model is likely the legit one. There were others that had the full ST-7 auto markings but no auto winding bridge.

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
If you look at ebay, you see that the 'manual' ST7's are offered for about $100, and the automatic ones cost at least four times that price. Probably someone found a batch of these old manual versions.
I saw the same with the 29jewel ST5 automatics. These watches were also offered quite cheaply with the autowinder parts removed.

What would be the reason for making these watches? Export versions in the time that some patents were (willingly or unwillingly) violated?

Regards,

Martin

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
yep st-7 manual wind here's mine
274776d1270868917-looking-st7-info-st7movement.jpg
274777d1270868917-looking-st7-info-st7wrist.jpg

I got it about a year and a half ago and I've seen pictures from before that.
What would be the reason for making these watches? Export versions in the time that some patents were (willingly or unwillingly) violated?
From what i remember the idea was to make a high end watch for export but the production costs were high enough that they would have to price it at a similar level to swiss watches in order to make money. after the st7 project was canceled they cased up the watches and gave them away to employees. I have always thought of the manual version as a separate watch rather than just missing parts especially since seagull used different bezzels for automatics and manuals (silver for auto, gold for manual) but who knows.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Be careful with this one... I've posted in other threads in response to this particular seller's offerings. I've purchased a couple in the past, and in both cases, the watches were clearly assembled from parts which did not meet original quality control standards. In other words, the watches (particularly the cases) all exhibited some signs of significant defects, either in the case construction, or chrome plating. In one case, the tube stem hole was mis-drilled, and oval in shape, which made it impossible for a regular stem tube to be inserted.

The cobbled together watch simply didn't have a stem tube!

Be careful.

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
19,271 Posts
That is unlikely. The ST5D uses an auto-winding system originally patented by Eterna, but the patent would probably have lapsed in the 1960s at the very latest. Likewise the ST7 uses the Felsa system, the patent for which would have lapsed at a similar time. In fact the Soviet-built Poljot 'Orbita', using the same system, was being sold internationally by the mid 1960s.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts