WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I sold my 7 month old Aquis 43.5 a couple of weeks ago and I thought I never would. I absolutely loved the watch but it always looked just a tad large on my 6.75" wrist. (I do believe someone with a 6.75" wrist can pull off the larger size but of course it's a matter of taste.) As beautiful as it was, it would jump out at me when I glanced down at it or caught a look in the mirror! Plus it felt like I had to be more careful of scratches at that size.

So I contacted Jay at Topper and she ordered me a 39.5 (I thought about the 41.5 but I really wanted black on black and the 41.5 is only available with blue dial). It came from the factory in a week! As many here know, Topper offers an amazing watch buying experience. I'm very happy with the new size. It feels like a classy tool watch that has strength but also an understated elegance due to the classic size.

I took a similar photo to my original watch (below, new desk) to try and show the comparison between sizes. Also, I've included some more perspective photos of my new 39.5. (it's running at a nice +4 spd so far!)

·
Premium Member
6,790 Posts
Thanks for sharing your story along with your pics and experience with Toppers in helping you out. To be honest, the 39.5 Aquis looks real good on your wrist. Enjoy your new Aquis diver. (y)

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
It's perfect! Congrats!!

Reactions: ACL-Watch

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for sharing your story along with your pics and experience with Toppers in helping you out. To be honest, the 39.5 Aquis looks real good on your wrist. Enjoy your new Aquis diver. (y)
Thanks, I'm glad I downsized. I think the reason I went with the 43.5 first is because it was like getting "more watch" for the money! :D But alas, I was wrong...

·
Registered
36 Posts
The 39 looks great! As long as you are happy - wonderful! I wonder if there is any chance that Oris will consider the GMT in 39.5. My next purchase will most likely be the Aquis GMT. Would love that in a 39.5!

Do enjoy! Your post adds to the mounting information that Oris Aquis will be my next watch purchase. Note to self, add more to watch savings account!

·
Premium Member
68,144 Posts
I’ve got the same size wrist and would have been more than happy with the larger size. However, it’s how you feel about a watch that’s important. Congratulations on the 39.5.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 39 looks great! As long as you are happy - wonderful! I wonder if there is any chance that Oris will consider the GMT in 39.5. My next purchase will most likely be the Aquis GMT. Would love that in a 39.5!

Do enjoy! Your post adds to the mounting information that Oris Aquis will be my next watch purchase. Note to self, add more to watch savings account!
Thanks, the 39.5 was the right move for me; it feels great on wrist without reminding me that I'm wearing it at all times like the 43.5 did. I also agree with you that I hope they do a GMT Aquis in the 39.5 or even the 41.5 if need be. Maybe a Carysfort Reef compact model? :D(y)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’ve got the same size wrist and would have been more than happy with the larger size. However, it’s how you feel about a watch that’s important. Congratulations on the 39.5.
Thanks! And I totally agree with you. The larger size can work for my wrist size or even a little smaller due to the lugs and fairly thin case height. For me it just had a bit too large of a look out of the corner of my eye and always felt like I needed to think about where my wrist was to "protect" it from dings, if that makes sense.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Definitely looks better proportionally.
Thanks, I agree. Also, the 39.5 has more dive-watch like dimensions proportionally speaking. The 43.5 seems a little thin relative to its case diameter even though that's what makes it more wearable for its size.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks great. I’m still waiting on Oris to get on with it and give us a black on black 41.5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! I was waiting on that one and then I thought 'hmm, I wonder if the 39.5 would work for me?' I'm glad I tried it; I find myself wearing the 39.5 a lot whereas I only wore my 43.5 once in a while. I think it's a Sub killer! 😊

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Thanks! I was waiting on that one and then I thought 'hmm, I wonder if the 39.5 would work for me?' I'm glad I tried it; I find myself wearing the 39.5 a lot whereas I only wore my 43.5 once in a while. I think it's a Sub killer!
The 39 does not look too small on you at all. Looks perfect. Which is a bit surprising to me, because when I have tried on the 39 it looked a bit too small on me even though my wrist is only 6.3”. But my wrist is flat and thus relatively wide, I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The 39 does not look too small on you at all. Looks perfect. Which is a bit surprising to me, because when I have tried on the 39 it looked a bit a small on me even though my wrist is only 6.3”. But my wrist is flat and thus relatively wide, I think.
Thanks, I agree. It's interesting that when I first put the 39.5 on it looked a bit small to me. (my wrist is also a bit flat) Maybe because I had been wearing my 43.5 a lot before I sold it. Then I started comparing the new Aquis to my other divers and dress watches. After a few days I couldn't believe I'd had the 43.5 for so long.

It's funny that you get used to whatever size you wear but the larger Aquis always felt like I "knew" the watch was on me. (even though it was very comfortable 😊)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was concerned 43 would be huge when I bought mine. When I tried the 39 on first it seemed to wear really small. Ultimately went with the 43 and love it, can't go wrong either way.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was concerned 43 would be huge when I bought mine. When I tried the 39 on first it seemed to wear really small. Ultimately went with the 43 and love it, can't go wrong either way.
You're right, it's a very versatile watch regarding the size. I've had 42's that wear a lot larger. I love watches with shorter lugs that turn down. (they should all do that!) My 43.5 was great but for me the 39.5 just seems custom! 😃

1 - 20 of 22 Posts