WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
To make a long story short, a prospective kid from Mexico, who will likely end up going to my college, has been staying in my room for the past few days. Glancing at his wrist, I was positive he was wearing a Black Bay, but I didn't ask right away for fear of making things "weird."

I did eventually inquire, however, and he let me take handle/see my first Black Bay in person. :-! Initially, he told me his dad lent it to him, but I later found out it was an unexpected Christmas present (I guess he was embarrassed). His dad is man of fine taste.

Tudor needs to get back to the U.S. pronto so I can get my hands on one of these beauties.

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have been eyeing these for a while now. The design is outstanding, my question all along has been does the sum of the parts equal the asking price. I love the way it looks and I am sure the construction is great being that it is Tudor, but are the parts used worth the 3k+ asking price?

·
Registered
421 Posts
A buddy of mine has one on leather and on bracelet. My AD had another 2 (on bracelet and leather), sitting beside a Pelagos. All very pretty watches.

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I love the way it looks and I am sure the construction is great being that it is Tudor, but are the parts used worth the 3k+ asking price?
Absolutely. In fact, there was a thread on it not too long ago.

Anyway, turns out the kid is a bit of a WIS. I showed him the three watches I have at school, and he knew what automatic movements were and the like. I'm sad I'm graduating and won't be at in college while he is too. Haven't really met another WIS in real life other than my father and a few other older people.

·
Premium Member
22,605 Posts
I have been eyeing these for a while now. The design is outstanding, my question all along has been does the sum of the parts equal the asking price. I love the way it looks and I am sure the construction is great being that it is Tudor, but are the parts used worth the 3k+ asking price?
I paid $2800 for my Black Bay on bracelet, and the obvious comparisons at this price point are the Breitling Superocean and the older (non-ceramic) Omega Seamaster Professional 300M. The fit and finish of the Tudor Black Bay is at least the equal of these watches, and is almost comparable to that of my Rolex Ceramic Submariner No Date.

These are some photos of my Black Bay, and some size comparisons with the Rolex 114060.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Ooh, those pics show that the BB has almost no "bump" on the caseback. I've always hated that bump -- makes the watch sit funny if it's too pronounced. Just another plus for the BB as far as I'm concerned.

I really like this watch. There just something very pretty about the colour combination and general style. To me, though, that distressed OEM bracelet is really what "makes" the watch. It complements the tool-ish aesthetic and colour palette perfectly.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
The Black Bay might just be the very prettiest diver that I just don't think I could ever buy. It's beautiful, vintage, unique but something about the color combination just makes it impossible for me to consider pulling the trigger on. Yet, I respect it none the less as a great looking diver. It's sort of a werid love/hate thing...

·
Banned
2,843 Posts
To make a long story short, a prospective kid from Mexico, who will likely end up going to my college, has been staying in my room for the past few days. Glancing at his wrist, I was positive he was wearing a Black Bay, but I didn't ask right away for fear of making things "weird."

I did eventually inquire, however, and he let me take handle/see my first Black Bay in person. :-! Initially, he told me his dad lent it to him, but I later found out it was an unexpected Christmas present (I guess he was embarrassed). His dad is man of fine taste.

Tudor needs to get back to the U.S. pronto so I can get my hands on one of these beauties.
Love it too. I am also very fond of the Pelagos and, talking about non-divers, the Heritage Chrono. Btw, isn't Tudor supposed to be back in the US in summer? You might have your chance really soon, then! :)

Reactions: ImitationOfLife

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mleok, thanks for the photos and the size comparison next to your Sub. Even though the Tudor is only 1mm bigger, it sure makes a difference.

Your Sub looks great--the ceramic bezel is a beauty.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Been away from reading forums for awhile and just encountered this model after looking through Tudor's current line-up.

The BB has almost everything that I want in watch that I was originally looking for from a Rolex. I prefer vintage Rolex for their domed crystals (check on BB), flatter bezels (check!), and matte dials (check!). I was going to save up $4-5K for a good 5513 Sub or 16750 GMT, but now the Black Bay has definitely shot to the absolute top of the want list.

When is this coming to Canada (or US)?

Retail is 3,000 Euro?

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
I think Tudor really hit a home run with the BB and the Pelagos, though sadly, a Rolex AD I talked to locally said there hasn't been enough local interest for them to justify bringing in.

Fine with me, just means my Pelagos will remain slightly exclusive in this zip code!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts