WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Vostok Komandierski for a work/beater watch and immediately hated it. In the picture, it looked like the numerals were white paint on a black dial. When I opened it, the numerals were silver foil stuck on a black dial. Me no like. It came with a crappy NATO strap that was child size. When I took the strap off, the points and edges of the lugs were sharp enough to saw through the strap. The piece of junk got tossed in a box and left unworn.

Fast forward a year or so and I was fooling around with with my box of broken toys and picked up the Rooskie. I knocked down the rough edges with the diamond file of my Leatherman Wave. Then I fished around and found the OEM Seiko rubber dive strap for Seiko dive (SPB053 and SBDC053) watches that Mark from Long Island Watch was pushing as a rubber alternative for the Seiko Sumo. It's fine in that role if you don't mind the gap between case and strap large enough for pets and small children to slip through. The 20mm dive strap totally looks the business on the Vostok, though and super comfy. I tried it on after installing the strap and have been wearing it ever since.

The numerals look like white paint, metallic reflective, or disappear completely depending on the light. The dial has really grown on me. The Vostok even keeps better time than the [email protected]#$%& Sumo. What's not to love for $80? I decided I like it so much I bought a K-43 Kirovski and a 24hour Komandierski.

Just what I needed, another rabbit hole to fall into.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I wouldn’t mind one myself. They look like fun watches to own.

·
Premium Member
2,734 Posts
In Mother Russia, watch wears you.

I've yet to dive into the Vostok rabbit hole....

·
Registered
406 Posts
I bought a Vostok Komandierski for a work/beater watch and immediately hated it. In the picture, it looked like the numerals were white paint on a black dial. When I opened it, the numerals were silver foil stuck on a black dial. Me no like. It came with a crappy NATO strap that was child size. When I took the strap off, the points and edges of the lugs were sharp enough to saw through the strap. The piece of junk got tossed in a box and left unworn.

Fast forward a year or so and I was fooling around with with my box of broken toys and picked up the Rooskie. I knocked down the rough edges with the diamond file of my Leatherman Wave. Then I fished around and found the OEM Seiko rubber dive strap for Seiko dive (SPB053 and SBDC053) watches that Mark from Long Island Watch was pushing as a rubber alternative for the Seiko Sumo. It's fine in that role if you don't mind the gap between case and strap large enough for pets and small children to slip through. The 20mm dive strap totally looks the business on the Vostok, though and super comfy. I tried it on after installing the strap and have been wearing it ever since.

The numerals look like white paint, metallic reflective, or disappear completely depending on the light. The dial has really grown on me. The Vostok even keeps better time than the [email protected]#$%& Sumo. What's not to love for $80? I decided I like it so much I bought a K-43 Kirovski and a 24hour Komandierski.

Just what I needed, another rabbit hole to fall into.

View attachment 16024247
Awesome post, keep’em coming

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Vostoks aren't joke watches. I don't think anyone here considers them jokes.
You either love them, or you fear them.

·
Registered
974 Posts
So glad you are finally enjoying one of the finest timepiece designs ever to come out of the Soviet Union. I have two Amphibias myself, and the urge to collect one of every color is something that has to be actively resisted.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Vostoks are fantastic, IMHO. Glad you've come to appreciate yours. They're cheap enough you don't feel bad regulating them or even working on them yourself. And they're surprisingly robust and can be very accurate if you get a good one. After all, some of the equipment they're made with today most likely came from Glashütte during WW2 when the Russian Army stole an entire watch factory and transported it to Moscow. Buying a Vostok is like buying a brand new vintage watch :)

Reactions: noregrets

·
Registered
474 Posts
Vostoks aren't joke watches. I don't think anyone here considers them jokes.
To be fair, they were at one time about 20 years ago and prior. You could get the Komandirskiye models anywhere in Soviet Russia for the equivalent of about $5 at the official exchange rate (I wanna say about 25-30 rubles at the time). And you got what you paid for. They usually started falling apart as soon as you wound them. I purchased 4-5 on my first trip in 1990 and I think one simply stopped after a week, another had a hand fall off inside, etc, etc. They looked great (and like a great souvenir to bring home), but they were really crap. Obviously, a lots happened since them, and there are some great Russian watches now, but they were pretty much about as useful as a gag watch 20 years ago.

·
Registered
Seiko, Orient, Aragon, Deep Blue, Bulova, Swatch, Gruen Pocket Watch, Illinois Pocket Watch, Vostok
2,863 Posts
Vostoks are cool watches. Cool enough I bought one a few years ago. Love it.

Sent while sitting on my toilet using Kakatalk easily flushed after a single wipe.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
My first mechanical watch was a Komandirskie that I got from my grandpa when I was 12. He was a weapons designer who worked for TsNIITochMash and took me to the store with the specific purpose of getting me a Vostok - I got to pick out the design that I wanted. I wore it for a really long time with no issues, never even polished the crystal. People see "acrylic crystal" and "chrome plated brass" with a $50 price tag and assume it's just a joke/disposable toy, but it works fine.

Watch Analog watch Clock Rectangle Watch accessory

1 - 20 of 45 Posts