WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
I find them intriguing. Panerai is the most appealing to me because the design is so clean and highlights the numerals that way. I am not a Panerai fan but the Nomos Club appeals to me for similar reasons - you have a dissonant design element - 2 types of numerals - and everything else is laid out symmetrically and balanced and clean. Well executed.

That Tudor - woof. I can’t stand chronograph subdials that cut into the numerals on a dial but that’s the first time I’ve seen a freaking fully spelled out day cutting into a Roman 11. Just awful to my eye. (I am not a designer and my opinion is just my own)

(Edited - nomos not Nokia, thanks spellcheck)

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Recently I got hit with the same itch to have a Cali dial. Also the bronze watch thing bit me. As well this case design. Now.....if only I could find a watch like this but with a black dial and 39mm to 40mm I'd be all set. BTW way I think this is a totally cool watch and the patina you got here looks great.
Don't quote me. But, if I remember correctly, the one X2 posted is right around 40 or so.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Is this a PAM? If so - how is that metal so strangely beautiful like a Damascus blade??

Cali dials can be fun. Depends on the watch.

View attachment 15465520
Update: Found your review - San Martin PAM-homage, nice!

·
Registered
188 Posts
I clicked this thread only because I had no idea what a California dial was. Is this a recent trend or has it been around for a while?

·
Premium Member
3,160 Posts
I'm in with a couple..

I think its like Bronze/Brass cases for me. Nice to have one or two just to scratch the itch. Wouldn't want any more.

K.

Reactions: JohnM252 and ck2k01

·
Registered
10,147 Posts
Is this a PAM? If so - how is that metal so strangely beautiful like a Damascus blade??

Update: Found your review - San Martin PAM-homage, nice!

That's the one. Dang, I really miss it, tbh...

Though fair warning, the damascus cased variant specifically was quite expensive (iirc around $800-900); the watch in the OP there is a different model (same size and proportions, bt regular steel case and regular black dial).

I don't recall if I ever did an actual review of the damascus model.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Love mine!

This is likely my next pickup. The reversed-california dial adds quite some visual interest to the overall design. I love this one!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Don't quote me. But, if I remember correctly, the one X2 posted is right around 40 or so.
Thanks..........I've looked at San Martin's offerings a lot and I'm familiar with these. I really do not like those wire lugs. The case design on that Maranez to my eye is perfect in line and proportions. Just wish there was a smaller version of it out there.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I dig them as a quirky little side avenue.

The first one I made for someone—she was kind of alternative in her style, so the Cali quirkiness seemed fitting:

The second one I had—the combination of all the quirky color and texture elements with a Cali dial really spoke to me:

The one I have preordered. Was instant I’ve never had a left hander before—and it seemed oh-so fitting to try one with a West Coast dial:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
71,371 Posts
I didn’t used to be all that taken by Cali dials but they are growing on me (this thread hasn’t helped) so if the OP is tempted all I can say is “pull the trigger”

·
Registered
355 Posts
I've always been interested by the Cali dial but found them a bit too chaotic for my wrist. What I didn't realize until reading through this thread is how many different companies make a Cali dial and offer them in modern watches. There are a couple in here that are clean enough to make me second guess adding one to the collection.

·
Registered
15,215 Posts
IDK, what's it about them? Weirdly attractive, in a weird way. Like a girl with 3 b**bs or som'm.

·
Vendor
27,721 Posts
Sometimes quirky can be cool...

This is the original NTH Nazario, one of a 25-piece limited edition, inspired by the extremely rare (estimates suggest only 7 to 12 were produced) Rolex Zerographe, a mono-pusher 3-hand chrono from 1937. It was the first Rolex chronograph movement, and the first Rolex to feature a rotating bezel.

The Nazario Sauro, with full-lume rice-paper dial came next, and was one of 75.

It was followed by the Nazario Azzurro, one of 50.

The Nazario Ghost was also one of 50.

Coming next month will be the Nazario Vino Rosso...

41 - 60 of 78 Posts