WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,160 Posts
yes, but when the one in the middle is a different shape?.....

·
Registered
517 Posts
Not a fan of Roman numerals, therefore I am out.
I'm with you there. Roman numerals don't do it for me.

BUT... The Nomos inverse layout with Romans below somehow does. It might be that I don't like to look of the X-XI-XII's, I can't really put my finger on it

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
I never had any interest at all until this year.l, when I came across first the NTH Nazario Ghost and then the Timex Camper from Japan.

These two both appeal to me for reasons I can’t really articulate.

The Ghost would already be mine if I hadn’t just bought a Nacken earlier this year which is more versatile in my mind. But the outlined numbers in white are really striking and interesting, and not something I’ve seen anywhere else.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
These dials trigger my OCD... like really hard.

Even after reading the origin story, I just don't get the appeal. I'm just really fussy about elegant and rational design.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
These dials trigger my OCD... like really hard.

Even after reading the origin story, I just don't get the appeal. I'm just really fussy about elegant and rational design.
The only functional/tool logic I’ve heard for the California dial is clueing as to which side of the dial is up.

But in reality, I’ve found my interest in/appreciation for quirky or odd watch designs has increased over time.

For me, it’s been a later stage development, well after I was deep down the WIS rabbit hole, and only after many prior phases during which I definitely didn’t vibe with quirky/odd watches (that now speak to me as an interesting collecting direction).

Case and point: when I first came across the California dial design, my reaction was “that’s kinda fugly.” Fast forward some time, and I’ve had two with a third on the way!

Apple designers clearly went on this same journey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: MegaMan1

·
Registered
720 Posts
I was eyeing the Glycine Incursore, but ended up scratching the Cali dial itch with a Parnis flieger.

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
......But in reality, I’ve found my interest in/appreciation for quirky or odd watch designs has increased over time......
Yup. If I owned one watch, it wouldn't be a California dial. But, I own, uh, more than one. So there's a quirky Cali dial in the box. Along with an orange watch, and a bright blue watch, and a.......

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I dig them as a quirky little side avenue.

The first one I made for someone—she was kind of alternative in her style, so the Cali quirkiness seemed fitting:

The second one I had—the combination of all the quirky color and texture elements with a Cali dial really spoke to me:

The one I have preordered. Was instant I’ve never had a left hander before—and it seemed oh-so fitting to try one with a West Coast dial:

What is that white one? Its pretty cool!

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
What is that white one? Its pretty cool!
Indeed! NTH Nazario Sauro.

Cool “nod to history” reference with this one.

Also realizing I never updated the thread with my formerly preordered/now well enjoyed Serica 4512.

·
Banned
2,448 Posts
Watches have become an illness with me since the pandemic struck. I find myself now oddly obsessed/attracted/admiring California Dial watches and the more unique the better.
I'm considering this one.

What are your all thoughts on Cali Dials in general and I just can't quit looking at this one. May satisfy two fetishes, bronzo and unique Cali dial.

View attachment 15465452
I only have the one, and was unsure when I bought it. It has since grown on me, and I love it. The NTH Nazario Ghost

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had the same obsession/attraction to the California Dial. In my case, I was also looking for a vintage Tudor and I bought this one to satisfy both urges. Obviously a redial, but one theory from the above linked article is this: In the 1970s, when the vintage watch boom started, a LA based dial refinisher, Kirk Rich, did some dials with this design. They became popular & many vintage watch stores in California sent their dials to KR. So dealers in the rest of the US & the rest of the world began to call them the 'California' dial."
View attachment 15465577
I REALLY did not need to see that! I always thought California dials were cool. I even thought about getting a Bubbleback a few years ago, but eventually went with something newer. I recently had that itch show up again, leading me to pick up an NTH Nazario. But as I’m thinking of adding a dress watch, a Bubbleback might be a nice option. I might not want to wear one every day banging around, but meetings and nice dinners wouldn’t pose too much of a risk.

And I appreciate your comment about the redial. I have a 50s Croton that I’m almost certain is a redial. I’m not trying to pass it off as original and it’s not for sale, so I just enjoy it!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had the same obsession/attraction to the California Dial. In my case, I was also looking for a vintage Tudor and I bought this one to satisfy both urges. Obviously a redial, but one theory from the above linked article is this: In the 1970s, when the vintage watch boom started, a LA based dial refinisher, Kirk Rich, did some dials with this design. They became popular & many vintage watch stores in California sent their dials to KR. So dealers in the rest of the US & the rest of the world began to call them the 'California' dial."
View attachment 15465577
Also, forgot to ask, what size is that? I’ve noticed many are 32mm cases, but a small number are 34/36mm. And how large is your wrist? Unfortunately, something of that vintage is likely going to be a “buy, then try” situation. Can’t just go to a dealer and try one on. And it’s an odd case shape, so looks like it would be hard to estimate from another watch.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Indeed! NTH Nazario Sauro.

Cool “nod to history” reference with this one.

Also realizing I never updated the thread with my formerly preordered/now well enjoyed Serica 4512.

Awesome watches mate! Cheers...

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I found Cali dials rather awful until I spied one of these Cobra de Calibre's on a WRUW thread years ago. The owner of the company designed the font and made a few watches using it. I can't remember how many, but it doesn't matter. I tracked one down and it's one of the stars of my collection.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts