WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

I gave a watch away the other day....

2K views 35 replies 32 participants last post by  JamyB777 
#1 ·
I gave a watch away the other day to a bartender at our local neighborhood pub. He's a good guy, always has a good joke or a smile for the patrons, rememberers what folks drink and has it ready for you between when you walk in the door and make it to the bar. I liked the watch, but I wasn't going to wear it, I have too many others I like more. Every time I've seen him since then, he has been wearing it. It makes me feel good. He really appreciates it, way more than I would have. He looked it up on the internet and knows way more about it than I ever did. Making a few bucks selling it would have never brought the same satisfaction as seeing the guy who apparently really loves it wearing it every day. Honestly, this has been one of my more positive watch experiences.

#4 ·
Good man. When I need to consolidate, which I’m in the process of right now, I generally decide if a watch is worth less than $200 it’s better to give it away. I try not to worry about whether the person ever wears it, but I have found on many occasions they will. I think it’s easy to lose perspective and forget that a $100 watch to some people is very cool and likely the nicest one they have ever had.

#11 ·
Bingo! This exactly. I‘m a middle school teacher and sometimes give affordable watches away to amazing students who deserve them. Some of those watches I bought here on WUS, so thanks for selling them to me. :)

#28 ·
There is something mysterious inside all/most of us that only wants to see other people be happy, in a good way, even if that gains us little or nothing directly.
If you haven't already, check out a book called "The Sum of Us." Some people would choose to be unhappy themselves, rather than see someone else happy.

Well done, OP. Kings to you.

#9 ·
You did a Nice thing OP 👏

#31 · (Edited)
Best situation - there's someone who could enjoy a watch that's no longer in rotation - it's the best selfishness because everyone feels great which is worth more than most watches - [difficult to find people like your bartender as most people don't care - fun to find someone to share with :)]
View attachment 16823764
(Apologies to JerklotZ on this side-note)...

:cool:You wouldn't happen to be giving away any Beskar cased watches, would you?

#14 ·
Awesome! I find my self in this situation many times as well. More often than not, people see how many watches I have and are looking for a freebee! It does feel great to see them getting use out of it. Although there were a couple of times the gifted watches never got any wear, they were appreciated. Then there are those that were brought back because the battery had died!! FREE service TOO? Well, nothing is ever free, so...

#16 ·
Outstanding. @Jeklotz great selfless act. What may seem like the smallest gesture sometimes has some big ripples.

If anyone is ever interested in gifting a random act of kindness in the WUS community, there is a Pay it Forward thread.
Not quite the same as the OP's act, but it still gives a chance to make someone's day.

#18 ·
Very cool, yeah, it's nice when others appreciate what you give them.
Now, if anyone would like to give me a Speedy, I'll make sure to wear it proudly, thanks!

#32 ·
Well done! I remember most compliments I receive on watches because they are so few. Did he comment on any of your watches previously or on that specific one?

Recently, I received a compliment out of the blue at a bar from a good friend of mine (and executor of my will). Upon my demise, he will be receiving that one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.