WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I went a got myself a Rolex. When my watch quest began, I knew I wanted several watches, and though Rolexes were among the watches under consideration - mainly b/c of the brand's reputation - I didn't think I would get one. Rolex Oyster models are plainer than I generally go for in jewelry.

All the same, I tried on several and something about them just clicked. The quiet styling has an elegance of it's own. Plus, the one I chose, the Explorer, wears like a much thinner watch than its case thickness suggests it would. That thinness adds an unexpected degree of elegance to what otherwise a fairly nondescript watch, & I love that.

Of course, it has all the design & build qualities for which Rolex is renowned. I suppose I will come to appreciate them in the years to come, although a few I noticed already.

For instance, the precision of the cut on the edges of the bezel bottom is razor sharp and yet not actually sharp enough to cut you. The beveled edge of the crystal appears as sort of a "chapter ring" in the dark, yet the bevel is sufficiently narrow that the ring isn't distracting. (My Ball has a similar effect, but its bevel kinda amplifies the light coming off the tritium tubes that are part of the baton markers.)

So, here I am w/a Rolex & I'm loving it.

Oh! Almost forgot. Another nifty thing about having a Rolex is that I no longer feel like I need to compare my other watches to a Rolex b/c I have a Rolex. Now my other watches can just be what they are rather than "as good as" or "as good as, except..." or "for the money" watches. I guess that's more about me than the watches, but somehow, getting the Rolex makes me like my other watches even more.

·
Registered
214 Posts
So, I went a got myself a Rolex. When my watch quest began, I knew I wanted several watches, and though Rolexes were among the watches under consideration - mainly b/c of the brand's reputation - I didn't think I would get one. Rolex Oyster models are plainer than I generally go for in jewelry.

All the same, I tried on several and something about them just clicked. The quiet styling has an elegance of it's own. Plus, the one I chose, the Explorer, wears like a much thinner watch than its case thickness suggests it would. That thinness adds an unexpected degree of elegance to what otherwise a fairly nondescript watch, & I love that.

Of course, it has all the design & build qualities for which Rolex is renowned. I suppose I will come to appreciate them in the years to come, although a few I noticed already.

For instance, the precision of the cut on the edges of the bezel bottom is razor sharp and yet not actually sharp enough to cut you. The beveled edge of the crystal appears as sort of a "chapter ring" in the dark, yet the bevel is sufficiently narrow that the ring isn't distracting. (My Ball has a similar effect, but its bevel kinda amplifies the light coming off the tritium tubes that are part of the baton markers.)

Oh! Almost forgot. Another nifty thing about having a Rolex is that I no longer feel like I need to compare my other watches to a Rolex b/c I have a Rolex. Now my other watches can just be what they are rather than "as good as" or "as good as, except..." or "for the money" watches. I guess that's more about me than the watches, but somehow, getting the Rolex makes me like my other watches even more.
Congratulations!

Don't forget to post in the Rolex forums. You will likely get more responses there.

·
Banned
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Congratulations!

Don't forget to post in the Rolex forums. You will likely get more responses there.
TY

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
MD, unfortunately, Rolex are not considered high end. Even though they may be good watches, they are not the best watches in the world, a common misunderstanding by the masses.

That said, nobody here will be looking down at you for having one. In fact, most people will be pleased you’re happy with it. It’s just that the Rolex forum will be more receptive. Try there and post some photos.

·
Registered
38,571 Posts
Hmmmm, me thinks I hear the 'war drums' in the Rolex Forum.
MD, unfortunately, Rolex are not considered high end. Even though they may be good watches, they are not the best watches in the world, a common misunderstanding by the masses.

That said, nobody here will be looking down at you for having one. In fact, most people will be pleased you’re happy with it. It’s just that the Rolex forum will be more receptive. Try there and post some photos.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Great watch! I have actually contemplated buying a DLC coated Explorer 1 (36 or 39mm) just because it's a great all arounder, and the DLC coating adds an extra stealth to it to prevent anyone from thinking it's a Rolex (which I value in my specific case for perception reasons in the spheres I find myself most of the time).
It's good to appreciate a good watch when you have one, no matter the price point.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Congrats! I also have an Explorer (114270). Although I tried to encourage you to consider a Reverso Duo, both are great watches. (I have a Reverso as well, but wear it on different occasions.) I think the Explorer I is a great everyday watch, particularly for the summertime. It can also work with business wear, and thus has followed me to a few conferences and weddings. While I have proper dress watches, I prefer to bring something sturdy when traveling to a wedding.

·
Banned
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Congrats! I also have an Explorer (114270). Although I tried to encourage you to consider a Reverso Duo, both are great watches. (I have a Reverso as well, but wear it on different occasions.) I think the Explorer I is a great everyday watch, particularly for the summertime. It can also work with business wear, and thus has followed me to a few conferences and weddings. While I have proper dress watches, I prefer to bring something sturdy when traveling to a wedding.
I ordered the Reverso too.

"...bring something sturdy to a wedding."

LOL. I'm guessing it's the wedding reception that requires something sturdy. LOL

·
Banned
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

LOL. I'm guessing it's the wedding reception that requires something sturdy. LOL
TY for the congrats.

·
Registered
471 Posts
This part^...I am not a regular in these parts, but I totally appreciate your honesty. You expressed a feeling I can relate to, interesting how my perception changes as I move through this "hobby". Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
MD, unfortunately, Rolex are not considered high end.
Nothing unfortunate about it - of all the brands in the world, Rolex is the least likely to need to be considered high end. A Rolex is a Rolex is a Rolex.
Congrats to OP on the explorer, smooth bezel no-date is the way to go imo!

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Explorer is a classic , 39mm is a nice size as well. There is a thread on this forum that discuss what is considered high end and whats not. If I remember correctly there wasn't a total consensus about it on that thread, some used a $ number as a parameter and said that if is above 12-13k , some others said that is about the movement , history of the brand etc...
But I think the fact that there is a Rolex Forum and a forum call High end watches tells you that the watchuseek forum is telling you in a subtle way that Rolex is not High end in their eyes.\
Who cares, enjoy your watch, hope you got the newer version , heard the lumen on that on is great
cheers

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Explorer is a classic , 39mm is a nice size as well. There is a thread on this forum that discuss what is considered high end and whats not. If I remember correctly there wasn't a total consensus about it on that thread, some used a $ number as a parameter and said that if is above 12-13k , some others said that is about the movement , history of the brand etc...
But I think the fact that there is a Rolex Forum and a forum call High end watches tells you that the watchuseek forum is telling you in a subtle way that Rolex is not High end in their eyes.\
Who cares, enjoy your watch, hope you got the newer version , heard the lumen on that on is great
cheers
There's also an ALS forum here....

If there are any typos in this post, I blame Tapatalk!

·
Banned
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
cheers
TY.

I got whatever is the most recent iteration.

The lume on it is okay, but inadequate for my demands (I bought an H3-lumed watch for the occasions when I need good bright lume all night long.). I suspect for most users, however, that it's just fine. FWIW, the lume on the Explorer strikes me as neither better nor worse than the lume on my Bremont S501, but notably better than the lume on my Seiko Alpinist. I just picked up my AP RO today, so it remains to be seen how Explorer's lume compares to that of the RO. In any case, I didn't buy any of my pricey watches for their lume; whatever lume they have is fine for the uses to which I intend to put those pieces.

Funnily, my broker was more interested in telling me about the lume on the watches he profferred to me than I was in learning about it. LOL He's pretty tuned-into what WIS types want and care about, and initially he mistook me for a WIS, so I guess that's why he was "selling" the illumination virtues of the watches he showed me. (To his credit, I have noticed on WUS that many people remark about the lume on various watches.)

Nothing unfortunate about it - of all the brands in the world, Rolex is the least likely to need to be considered high end. A Rolex is a Rolex is a Rolex.
Congrats to OP on the explorer, smooth bezel no-date is the way to go imo!
TY

I'm quite pleased with the Explorer, and I'm good with no-date watches because often enough, I can't see the numeral(s) anyway.

This part^...I am not a regular in these parts, but I totally appreciate your honesty. You expressed a feeling I can relate to, interesting how my perception changes as I move through this "hobby". Thanks for sharing!
YW & TY2.

Glad you found my remarks helpful or "something."

·
Registered
163 Posts

You never know when you might need to lift a 200 lb person in a chair at a wedding. A few months ago, I went to a non-Jewish wedding, and for whatever reason, they decided to dance Hava Nagila despite the lack of cultural connection. I gathered a bunch of people, and we lifted them into the air anyway.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts