WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Banned
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up my AP RO today. The model I bought is the 15450 (37mm) in SS with a grey dial.

Sizing - Know b4 you buy:
  • If you have large wrists (I don't) and go for the 15450, be sure to order an additional link. My wrist is 7 inches, and out-of-the-box, the watch is tight, too tight.

You can buy a single link or you can buy a link and a half, the latter configuration being one whereby you can remove the whole link and add the half-link to your bracelet (or you can add the whole link or both). The AP boutique will give it to you for free, but it still has to be ordered, so if you know that upfront (I didn't) when you order the watch, they can arrive together and you can avoid a trip somewhere (any old watchmaker, the boutique, etc.) to have the link installed. (If you have the tool needed, you can do it yourself. I haven't such a tool.)
  • As for whether the 37mm is too small overall...It's not. Not at all. On the contrary, it's perfect!
Appearance:
  • This bad boy reflects a lot of light. The base of the case, the rehaut, the edges of the "railroad track" small links, the angled sides of the "porthole," the screws and the edges of the large links, along with the markers, logo and hands are all polished and they catch and reflect oodles of light, making the watch eye-catching. Even the RO's brushed surfaces seem a little bit more reflective than are the matte surface of, say, the Rolex Oyster bracelet and case.

The result is that this is a watch to wear when you're tony, IMO. I wore a running jacket and pants when I picked up the watch and, looking in the mirror, I couldn't help but feel the watch was wearing me, not the other way round. When I got home, I tried it with several outfits (jacket and slacks, long sleeved shirt and jeans, suit, and dinner jacket w/white shirt and links) and it's fine with those clearly not sporting outfits. (Maybe the RO is fine with swanky sports outfits too, but I don't have any such threads, so I'll never know.)

FWIW, peeping partially out from under the cuff of a sweatshirt, the RO is just fine. It's just when I had my sleeves pulled up from having just finished running and could see the whole watch vis-a-vis my whole (grubby and cheap) workout outfit.
  • IDK how tall the case is, but it sits nice and low on my wrist, making it look fittingly elegant. That's what it's supposed to do.
  • If you want some color, well, the bezel screws may occasionally give you small touches of it. For instance, the ceiling in this room I'm in is blond wood and the screws are reflecting their hue, making the watch sort of appear to have yellow-gold screws rather than white-gold ones. I suppose on a sunny cloudless day, they may appear blue when you're outside.
Functionality:
  • The text of the date is tiny & the black numerals, juxtaposed against adjacent silver dial & silver/grey date wheel background, are hard to see, even wearing my glasses. C'est la vie; I didn't buy it for the date, so this doesn't matter to me; moreover, I knew I couldn't see the date when I tried on a RO before ordering mine.
  • My version is not a high-contrast one. The highly reflective nature of the hands and markers combined w/the grey dial make it hard, in certain lighting conditions, to see the end of the minute and seconds hands when they're just before or after a baton. The glare from the marker just gets in the way. It's not that the hands can't be seen; it's that the very ends of them are hard to distinguish against the background. You have to tilt one way or another to make out the ends.

That said, this isn't a real problem for me because there's nothing I'm gonna be doing that, while wearing the RO, demands I have the most precise reading of time. I can see the hour and most of the minute hand in any lighting situation I'll be in and that's plenty good enough.

Use-Pattern:

• Could I wear this watch everyday? Pretty much, yes. The only reason I wouldn't wear it on a given day is because I'm so far dressed down that the watch too much outshines the rest of my attire. I wouldn't wear the watch backpacking, but I wouldn't have an issue wearing it to play tennis, bike or participate in other non-contact sports. By AP's reckoning, it's a sport watch, so I'm gonna use it as I see fit, save for in the most extreme of activities.
Feel:
  • This watch, with its ingot links, feels solid and yet, holding the bracelet in my hand, I notice it has a fluidity of articulation, likely accruing from the near silence with which the bracelet links move, that I haven't encountered in other watches. There's a softness to the way it feels. (Obviously, as the thing's steel, it's not soft at all.)
  • The bracelet is mostly smooth feeling; however, the edges of the openings of "railroad track" links, those links themselves, and the clasp are "razor" (laser?) sharp.
  • Now I see a point of the beveling on the link edges and the case bottom: it keeps the watch from being uncomfortable when it's snug against one's wrist. You'll recall I mentioned that the bracelet is too small for me. I can put it on, but it's a tad tighter than it should be...not uncomfortably so when my wrist is straight out, but too tight when my wrist is bent. I can see how, were the edges "razor" sharp like on some other watches, that'd be very uncomfortable after not much time at all.
So those are my initial thoughts about the watch. Once my link and half arrive, if something of note (and that doesn't strike me as something that's been said over and over before) comes about, I'll share it.

·
Registered
404 Posts
So do u actually like it??? Its a pricy 3 hander in SS that is arguably very small, i dont seem to get the feel like this is a love affair, had you tried it on multiple times to get a feel for whether it truly fit you as a whole???

·
Banned
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So do u actually like it??? Its a pricy 3 hander in SS that is arguably very small, i dont seem to get the feel like this is a love affair, had you tried it on multiple times to get a feel for whether it truly fit you as a whole???
Yes, I like it.

·
Banned
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"Love affair"

No watch will, for me, be a "love affair" thing. I'm not into watches; I merely wanted a few nice ones that I liked enough to buy because they put some panache in my wardrobe. When my Reverso arrives, I will have accomplished that, and that will be the end of my journey; I will then be merely a guy wearing a nice watch.

There are a few watches I've seen that I do really love, but insofar as I'm not willing to pay what I must to buy them, I got over them.

·
Registered
946 Posts
May I ask, whether you bought it from an AP boutique or went gray instead? I know it is extremely hard to get on a list for this model, at least so I’m being told. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,385 Posts
I found that taking a soft leather chamois to the inside of mine and gently rubbing it back and forth helped ease the scratchiness of the inside of the bracelet over time. Interestingly, I had to do this with my Globemaster bracelet as well.

Congratulations on your purchase.

Regards,
Alysandir

Reactions: MDNoobie

·
Banned
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I found that taking a soft leather chamois to the inside of mine and gently rubbing it back and forth helped ease the scratchiness of the inside of the bracelet over time. Interestingly, I had to do this with my Globemaster bracelet as well.

Congratulations on your purchase.

Regards,
Alysandir
TY for the congrats & for the tip re: the chamois cloth.

·
Banned
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
May I ask, whether you bought it from an AP boutique or went gray instead? I know it is extremely hard to get on a list for this model, at least so I’m being told. Thanks!
Let's get one thing clear: AP, right now, at least, has no ADs. It has shifted its distribution model to boutique-only. This every new AP currently sold, and that isn't NOS in an AD's inventory, is sold via an AP boutique. In other words, AP boutiques are acting as both retailers and distributors.

I bought it from The Little Treasury, which is one of WUS' sponsors & an AD for a number of watch brands. Moreover, I got the watch (15450) at a fine price. Steve did note, however, that his supplier was surprised that he was ordering the 37mm instead of the 41mm. Perhaps the 41mm is the scarce one, though I didn't get the impression that it was.

The owner of the store told me he could get the watches I wanted even though he didn't carry them, & he's come through w/a week's turn-around.

I spoke w/the owner of an expressly grey market shop & he shared that the shortage for certain watches is essentially fictional, in a manner of speaking. (It's real vis-a-vis economic theory.
If that means nothing to you, ask, & I'll explain it.) I shared the nature of what he explained in another thread I created in the High-End Watches subforum on WUS.

·
Banned
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I just discovered that my RO is one an AD (maybe an AP boutique) sold to non-AD/-AP boutique retailer about 9 months ago.

I found that out by registering my watch with AP to get the warranty extension.

So, my watch was a NOS watch in someone's inventory. I presume that is why I was able to get it both quickly and at such a great price (notably lower than the MSRP).

Fortunately, IDC that the watch was NOS. Too, I like that the model I bought (15450) isn't the one everyone else wants, for that reduced my exposure to price-boosting market forces. And besides, the 37mm one is the right size for my wrist (7"), given the watch's architecture.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I think "very small" as a descriptor here is hilarious. If that's what "very small" looks to you on his wrist, then you are probably used to wearing dinner plates on yours?

·
Registered
14,910 Posts
That dial hue is pretty, congrats on a stellar choice, 15450's rock on smaller wrists like mine and yours . . .

Attachments

·
Registered
359 Posts
No watch will, for me, be a "love affair" thing. I'm not into watches; I merely wanted a few nice ones that I liked enough to buy because they put some panache in my wardrobe. When my Reverso arrives, I will have accomplished that, and that will be the end of my journey; I will then be merely a guy wearing a nice watch.

There are a few watches I've seen that I do really love, but insofar as I'm not willing to pay what I must to buy them, I got over them.
I must say this is a remarkable watch purchase albeit it was purely for sartorial reasons. RO is a grail piece for a lot of watch aficionados. I can only imagine what kind of collection you’d probably own were you a true watch fanatic. Question for you is why write, entertain comments, and discuss watches when it sounds as though watches are mostly an accessory to you?

1 - 20 of 77 Posts