WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently sold my Bond titanium SMPch and decided to get another chronograph to take its place. I thought about just getting a Moon watch and being happy with it, but... I had one in the past and while I really like it, it was just a tad too ordinary for what I wanted.

But I saw this crop up on ebay and it was just what I was looking for... I had always wanted one of these and considered them sort of a personal grail, since there's no other Omega like it. And I was a bit bummed that I missed out on a couple Flightmasters before but this is enough like one that I can say I'm satisfied. :)

And I've always been fascinated by the tuning fork movements... and having a chronograph tuning fork is just too cool. b-)

This one didn't come on the lobster bracelet though :-(, but it's on the original Omega padded leather strap. It's pretty shot though and it smells like smoke. I might put the mesh on it, since I know tracking down a lobster band might be hard and definitely expensive. And the day wheel doesn't turn right, but I'm sending my SM120 F300 across the pond for a new crystal and might send this one with it.

Though I'll put up with these minor things with it considering I got a pretty good deal on it... $800 even. b-)

Unfortunately, today the mail didn't decide to come untill nearly 8:00 PM! :-| I hadn't been so anxious in a long time. So sorry, these pics are kinda crap but the sun is starting to go down.

Here she is:

And I got these goodies the other day, but the travel case just came today as well. The little flash drive was a bit of an impulse buy :oops:, but I like it and could use it. I bought this leather Omega case for about $35 (the auction title was only one word - omega :-d) so I can use it for travel... |> So I put the SMP trio in it.

watch-u-think? :)

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Franklin, QT, and Tron. :)

Well I spent like the last hour or so with the band... I took off the old strap (it was difficult). The endlinks that were on the leather strap sort of wrap around the little lugs on the watch, sort of like a shell (I understand the lobster bit now :-d ) I originally just put the mesh on the little lugs, but it was a little loose and it looked terrible. Then I had an idea...

I separated the leather strap from the two little "shell" endlinks. The next part took a little creativity, but... I sort of forced the mesh ends into the endlinks. It didn't bend the mesh links or anything (or atleast not very much, I got the springbar through ok), but it was a really tight fit. Then there's a little gap where I had to manipulate the springbars into the lugs... took me forever but I got it and I'm pretty pleased with how it came out. Here's a couple crap pics I took just to give you an idea... will take some better ones tomorrow.

The bad news? I seriously doubt I'm ever getting that mesh band out of there again. :-:)-d Or how I'm even going to ever get that band off. But I like how it turned out, almost as much as I'd like an original lobster band, so I guess it's worth the sacrifice.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
The mesh looks fierce :-!
Tuning fork movements are great, I have two. The 1255 is the Rolls Royce of tuning fork movements. :p That chrono second hand sweeps around the dial smoother than any mechanical.

- Jake

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
That looks sharp, that watch aint gonna let that cool strap go. :-!

Very nice indeed.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Wow, even without the bracelet, I think you absolutely stole that Lobster, Hippo. Unfortunately, you might have to get used to the issue with the day wheel, which is a common issue. The day and date wheels are made of plastic and are easily damaged. At this point, they're virtually impossible to find. Even still, you have a very interesting and, in my opinion, one of the most unusual Omegas out there.

Enjoy that hummmmmm...

eric

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys! :)

Yeah, taking risks on ebay does occasionnally pay off... In this case it was from a seller with 3 feedback and the auction ended at like 4 am. :-! That and they seemed quite intent to only ship the watch within the States, even though they posted a question on the listing of someone offering them $1200 for it, but they were in France. But I managed to nab it at the opening bid so mine it is... b-)

Didn't know the day wheels were that hard to come by though... :-( And it's different than the one you could find on a 1260 so I couldn't just nick one from one of those... Always wondered why the text and window was smaller on the Speedsonics though. :think:

But I was surprised it was in English, a lot of them I've seen aren't.

I can get the day to turn, but it only does it every 2 days or so. Or just whenever it feels like. :-d

The rest of the watch is in pretty good shape though, it looks like it was re-brushed at some point but it's better than I could do on such a rounded case. The crystal's got some little surface marks but I can live with it, and the bezel's got a little ding between the 10 and 11. But I'm totally happy with it and I'm surprised how well my little mesh band "conversion" came out, since I was expecting it to fail miserably. :-x

·
Registered
8,173 Posts
That is super cool!b-) Looks great on mesh too.:-!

- Hiro

·
Registered
178 Posts
Great buy at that price...first one i have ever seen with the original Corfam strap...they did come with this option...hope you didn't destroy it!!!

As for finding a lobster bracelet...good luck...these are no longer available and Omega don't even have any links!!...also the day wheels are now obselete....and as you correctly mentioned are unique to the ESA Cal 9210...the date wheels however are the same as the ESA9164's....

There is a good chance it may not actually be damaged....they have a tendacy to stick....do not however keep attempting to turn it over,,,you will definately damage the flimsy plastic wheel, or worse still the dual cam actuator...

I have just had one of these done for another collector...i think you will agree it looks pretty good...

also some pics of my very scarce f300 version...a bit smaller than the Chrono..and it shows on the wrist...to the point whereas try as i might, i just cannot gel with it at all.

Regards Keith

PS..You are welcome to send it over with the SM f300...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hippo, the way you got that mesh in with those end links looks great! I like the look of mesh but usually the way they connect to the watch looks like aftermarket after thought and comes off looking cheap and unfinished IMHO.

Thanks to Keitht for the pix 'cause I was wondering what a "lobster" bracelet was.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys!

I was hoping you'd see this thread Keith, sorry I haven't sent the Seamaster on yet but I won this the other day and wanted to send them both at the same time. I'll send them out today or tomorrow. :)

That's a cool Seamaster by the way, I've never seen one like that before... But didn't they make a Megasonic Seamaster with a lobster bracelet too, or is my imagination making that up?

I kept the Corfam strap (and original springbars, they were too thick to fit in the mesh), I didn't damage it any more but it's pretty shot as it is... It's navy blue but it's crumbling a little, and the inside lining has separated from the outside. But I can see the original adhesive strip that kept it together, and the original clasp looks great (even though like the rest of the watch I suspect it's been re-brushed). I was considering putting some of the leather lotion I put on my car seats on it to see if that would rejuvenate it some, but I'm worried that might harm it considering that it isn't real leather... :think: But regardless I'll certainly save it.

Thanks for the complements on the band too, number6. :) I've pretty much given up hope of finding a lobster band for it, but I figure this is the next best thing and I like it. It looks a little odd when I'm wearing it, but I looked in the mirror while I was wearing it and from a distance it looked pretty cool.

·
1,124 Posts
As for finding a lobster bracelet...good luck...these are no longer available and Omega don't even have any links!!
I purchased links from Otto Frei last year. It helps a great deal to have the numbers, which I did. It was not in their catalog, but I had the links within 2.5 weeks.

Putting them on . . . that was another matter

Sam aka Hewybaby

1 - 20 of 24 Posts