WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a new watch. The watch is a Citizen Grand Classic. I absolutely love it! Truth be told, it is the most expensive watch I have bought thus far and I very much want to keep it in good shape. I have a few questions, and though I realize they may be a bit obsessive, I would love if you could answer them. Thank you!

1.) Is it okay to clean smudges from your watch face with a T-shirt? I had a friend say the fibers would scratch it? It is a sapphire crystal face.

2.) Can a fingernail scratch the crystal?

3.) I accidentally got lotion on the band when I was putting some on my hands. Please...I know the responses I will get to this one....but I really was just taking care of dry skin. Will the lotion corrode the stainless steel if I did not get it all off the inside of the band? Is there oil on the hinges of the band that I may have inadvertently wiped off when cleaning off the lotion?

4.) When setting the watch, it says to not perform the date change while the hands indicate between 8:00 PM and 2:00 AM, otherwise the date may not change properly. Does this mean I cannot change the date when it is LITERALLY that time of day or that I just cannot have the hand indicating that time when I do the date. Can i just move the watch to 4:00 AM and then set the date then move the time to say...9:00PM?
Also, it says to turn the crown clockwise in position 1 to set the date to one day before the desired date. It then says to pull out the crown to position 2 and turn the crown counterclockwise to set the date. It ends by saying simply "turn the crown to set the time." Does it matter which way i turn the crown to set the time? For example, if i turn it counterclockwise ( so that the hands move clockwise) to set the time to 9:00 pm, is it okay to turn it clockwise to reverse if I accidentally overshoot the time? Will turning it the wrong way cause damage?
Finally, the reason for a lot of the setting confusion is that in the guide citizen provided me, it says clockwise to set the date to one day before, and then clockwise again to to set the date in position two. I had to actually go online and type in my caliber number to discover that I believe this is a typo as turning the crown clockwise in position 2 does nothing but make the date kind of "stutter" instead of changing.

I am sorry for the stupid questions. I realize they are probably quite ridiculous but when I buy something that I deem to be valuable, I like to take care of it. Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Sapphire should be hard to scratch it would have to be a pretty rough material. I usually just use a microfiber cloth like the ones that come with sunglasses or phone cases. I also don't think a fingernail will scratch it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
I recently got a new watch.
1.) Is it okay to clean smudges from your watch face with a T-shirt? I had a friend say the fibers would scratch it? It is a sapphire crystal face.

3.) I accidentally got lotion on the band when I was putting some on my hands. Please...I know the responses I will get to this one....but I really was just taking care of dry skin. Will the lotion corrode the stainless steel if I did not get it all off the inside of the band? Is there oil on the hinges of the band that I may have inadvertently wiped off when cleaning off the lotion?

4.) When setting the watch, it says to not perform the date change while the hands indicate between 8:00 PM and 2:00 AM, otherwise the date may not change properly. Does this mean I cannot change the date when it is LITERALLY that time of day or that I just cannot have the hand indicating that time when I do the date. Can i just move the watch to 4:00 AM and then set the date then move the time to say...9:00PM?
Also, it says to turn the crown clockwise in position 1 to set the date to one day before the desired date. It then says to pull out the crown to position 2 and turn the crown counterclockwise to set the date. It ends by saying simply "turn the crown to set the time." Does it matter which way i turn the crown to set the time? For example, if i turn it counterclockwise ( so that the hands move clockwise) to set the time to 9:00 pm, is it okay to turn it clockwise to reverse if I accidentally overshoot the time? Will turning it the wrong way cause damage?
Finally, the reason for a lot of the setting confusion is that in the guide citizen provided me, it says clockwise to set the date to one day before, and then clockwise again to to set the date in position two. I had to actually go online and type in my caliber number to discover that I believe this is a typo as turning the crown clockwise in position 2 does nothing but make the date kind of "stutter" instead of changing.

I am sorry for the stupid questions. I realize they are probably quite ridiculous but when I buy something that I deem to be valuable, I like to take care of it. Thank you in advance!
1. no problem unless you have diamond paste embedded in your shirt, which oddly enough I actually have on occasion

2. no

3. lotion is VERY unlikely to cause any issues with a SS bracelet. I personally wouldn't be the least concerned

4. the watch doesn't know the "literal" time, move the hands outside the "danger area" and change the date as you see fit

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hey there man. First thing first, congratulations on your watch! I really love it when hearing someone loves their watch that much. As for your question, I'll try to answer, and if I'm mistaken, I'm sure some others will correct me just fine.

1 & 2. No. The sapphire was chosen as the crystal for a reason, its scratch resistant. Not your t-shirt nor your fingernail would be able to put a ding on it. Not unless you have a diamond as a fingernail, that is.

3. What movie you were watching when applying the lotion? Lol jk. Anyway, not that I know of. But I don't really know about this one. Let's see if someone else can answer this.

4. Again, correct me if I'm wrong, but it's not between 20:00 and 02:00, it's between 22:00 and 02:00. And it's the latter (your question) Say it's 11:00 pm in your time zone and you want to change the date, just move the hour hand to 5 am (which then would automatically change the date), then you can freely move the date. Once you got it, move the hour hand back to its former position. And try to avoid moving the minute hand backwards, it could damage your watch movement (unless it's only a few minutes)

Now let me apologize in advance if I made any mistakes in my sentences. I'm not an English native speaker.

Hope this helps, buddy!

·
Registered
36,329 Posts
Do not ever drop your watch on a hard surface from height. It will not survive in working condition. Have 2 broken Citizen. One was dropped and the other worn at sea racing a performance sailboat. Neither watch ever worked again.
Citizen are fragile watches in my experience.

·
Premium Member
9,676 Posts
I recently got a new watch. The watch is a Citizen Grand Classic. I absolutely love it! Truth be told, it is the most expensive watch I have bought thus far and I very much want to keep it in good shape. I have a few questions, and though I realize they may be a bit obsessive, I would love if you could answer them. Thank you!

1. NO. I agree with the point
of using microfiber when it's convenient, but cotton isn't going to scratch that crystal. BTW: the problem, I gotta believe, can't be the cloth; it could be any dirt *in* the cloth, which any of us might pick up accidentally along the way. And sapphire's harder than quartz...which is what sand basically is.

2. Fingernail...no.

3. I don't think so. The bracelet material has to aniticipate a much harsher substance: perspiration, which is salty. They won't put any oils onto it; those would be rather noticeable on your skin...or on the cuff of your shirt.

4. I expect you could do that, yes. Me, I just don't care about date. :) Because I'm too darn lazy to change it most every month. Or, alternately, just try to get into the habit of fixing the date when you get up, assuming you don't have some unusual personal schedule, such as graveyard shift.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Nice watch, it was on my radar for a while as a potential future purchase.

Sapphire has a Moh's hardness of 9. Your fingernail has a hardness of about 2.5 on the same scale. You have no chance of scratching the glass with a fingernail or a cotton or rayon shirt. Steel is a different story, you will over time notice almost microscopic scratches on steel, purely from continuously rubbing against a fabric sleeve. This will happen no matter how careful you are with your watch.

You should have taken off the watch and let your moisturizer dry thoroughly beforehand, but I doubt you've done any noticeable damage to your watch. It's 100 meters water resistant, why not let it sit in a basin of room temperature water for a few minutes just to be sure that you've removed as much as possible.

Your final question amuses me somewhat. Of course they mean when the hands are between 8:00 PM and 2:00 AM. Ever wondered how Time Zones work? Clearly not. Did you you honestly think that Citizen calibrates each watch for each Time Zone so the date change cannot be done when the actual time is between those hours?

Don't turn the hands anticlockwise by more than a few minutes and you should be okay.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Time wizard, I get why you would be amused by the last one haha. I realize the watch has no sensors for that. The way I was thinking of it was that if you set the date then tried to set the time to a certain time between 8 and 2 afterwards, that it would mess with the date calibration. And I was pretty sure about the hardness of the crystal, but I just wanted to make sure the sapphire crystale advertisement wasn't some marketing ploy. And it wasn't that the moisturizer was on my hand when I put it on. I was rushing to work and squirted some in my hand and missed, making it land all over the band. I also figured you could turn it anticlockwise a few minutes which is good, otherwise you'd constantly be resetting the date to get it right haha!

Also, I would definitely recommend the watch. It is beautiful in person. The pictures really don't do it justice (though it even looks nice in the pictures too!). The watch has a very nice gleam when the light hits it, making the black face seem almost blue (then again I'm, colorblind, so what do I know haha).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just looked online a bit and it said that most watches made today are built so that moving the hands backwards won't damage the watch. It says this is because many customers would inadvertently do it with a new watch and it is done to prevent potential damage. If it wasn't for the damn directions being wrong in the packaging and saying turn the crown clockwise in both crown positions, I would have never turned the hands backwards anyways. I am just nervous that in doing so, I could have ruined the accuracy of the watch or damaged a mechanism? Nothing seems to be wrong as of yet.

·
Premium Member
9,676 Posts
Citizen's web site pictures are universally horrible.

For my taste, it's too big at 42mm, and almost certainly far heavier...an auto in stainless, and on stainless generally means heavy. But it's definitely getting into the level where quality finishing becomes a presumption.

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
My only concern with all the answers for 1) is that if your sapphire crystal is coated with anti reflective material, the AR coating may scratch - maybe not with a shirt, but certainly more easily than bare sapphire.

As as for cleaning the stainless steel, I'd recommend giving the bracelet and case a good scrubbing with soap and water every week or two (assuming it's water resistant).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It is actually anti reflective...I never though of that. I was always confused how my old watch scratched and it must have been the same issue.

And I have heard that about the stainless steel that it is good to scrub with soap and water. My watch says it is 300m waterproof, but i am always reluctant to test that haha. The soap isn't bad for the watch? And I know stainless steel is meant not to rust, but continued exposure to water will make it EVENTUALLY rust correct? Or am i wrong on this?

·
Registered
4,748 Posts
Ancient forum lore suggests that the best way to protect a watch is by posting pictures of it within one of your threads. It's believed that by doing so, you're keeping the "spirit" of the watch protected from external forces.

It's true....and it works. You just read the post about a forum member having two Citizens crap out, right? It's because he never posted any pictures.

Don't tempt fate. Post a pic....before it's too late.

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
It is actually anti reflective...I never though of that. I was always confused how my old watch scratched and it must have been the same issue.

And I have heard that about the stainless steel that it is good to scrub with soap and water. My watch says it is 300m waterproof, but i am always reluctant to test that haha. The soap isn't bad for the watch? And I know stainless steel is meant not to rust, but continued exposure to water will make it EVENTUALLY rust correct? Or am i wrong on this?
IF the AR is on the outside it can be scratched but again not with the cloth but what may be embedded in the cloth.

Cleaning a SS watch with soap and water is not an issue, I have watches that have seen hundreds of showers in their life. Salt water can cause corrosion but rinsing after diving is good SOP and a quick rinse after a particularly sweaty day isn't a bad idea but corrosion from sweat usually takes decades to manifest itself. You don't need to be overly manic with SS watches, I have dive watches and beaters that have seen over a decade of use that borders on intentional abuse and no sign of rust or corrosion on any of them.

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
It's true....and it works. You just read the post about a forum member having two Citizens crap out, right? It's because he never posted any pictures.
While I get where you are going... the idea yankeexpress has a watch that hasn't been shown multiple times on the forum beggars belief. :)

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
Didn't realize it is so durable!
Keep in mind the outside is basically a chunk of stainless steel and some artificial sapphire both of which can cope with many conditions your wrist would require a hospital visit for. Accept the steel will get scratched and get on with living YOUR life not the life of the watch. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.