WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello watchuseek forum! Thought I would see if anyone here could help me.

As noted in the title, I have an idea for a watch that I would like to have made, then sell it to a specific market. It would be a digital watch with some specific features that are not necessarily common in current watch models. I have put quite a bit of time into this idea, drawn up specs, spoken with close friends about it, I have even paid some mechanical and electical engineers to start putting together some specs on it. I am just having a hard time getting this watch to actual production, and I was wondering if anyone here would have any advice or resources that I could look into?

I have spoken with the CEO of Cadence Watch company, and he said they don't often do contract work like this, and I am not wanting to liscence my idea out to them at this time. I am also speaking with firms like the PRG protoyping group, and it seems they could help get a (nonfunctioning)protype made, but since they don't specialize in watchmaking I am wary to use them.

Has anyone delt with this before? I am sure there is a way to get this done, I just need a little help to get going in the right direction. :)

Thank you in advance,
sanders4069

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
As you want a bunch of unusual complications in a Quartz watch, that means you need to custom taylor the movement.
Not easy.

Btw, which complications do you want in it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As you want a bunch of unusual complications in a Quartz watch, that means you need to custom taylor the movement.
Not easy.

Btw, which complications do you want in it?
Some features would be a flashlight (kinda like here). Others would be a metronome, or a count-down timer. Can't most of those features simply be programmed into the microprocessor? Design features are measurements (inches/centimeters) on the band, and a rotating bezel that when rotated initiates a specific function on the watch. There are more but that is the general idea of the stuff I am looking at.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I hate to be "that guy" but those are apps easily downloaded on cell phones. And since everyone already has cell phones I'm not sure you are going to have much luck with this.

I'm not a huge fan of guys who say "I hate to be that guy"... I will probably never use that phrase again. But I fear you may be spending alot of time and energy and I hope not money on this. Also a flashlight would kill a watch battery in no time at all.

Have a great day!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hate to be "that guy" but those are apps easily downloaded on cell phones. And since everyone already has cell phones I'm not sure you are going to have much luck with this.

I'm not a huge fan of guys who say "I hate to be that guy"... I will probably never use that phrase again. But I fear you may be spending alot of time and energy and I hope not money on this. Also a flashlight would kill a watch battery in no time at all.

Have a great day!
Thanks for the reply. I am aware of the new watch tech coming out, as well as smart phone abilities, and I am under no illusion that what I have in mind will be ground breaking technology. But my watch will have a specific purpose, and I am very confident in the idea. With that in mind, one thing I am not sure about are things like how the flash light will affect the battey. The light will mostly only be used for a few seconds at a time, but this is definately something I am keeping in mind. Thanks for the input.

-sanders4069

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
I recommend that you design in a compartement separated from the movement, containing several connected batteries for the light. You do not want to use the same battery, as draining the (one) battery will make the watch and its functions non functional.
bezel operated functions: Excellent idea. You need to have several pressure switches inbuilt in the case, and one " prong" underneath the bezel.

A molded plastic case will be hugely cheaper than a metal case

The cm/ inch measure - Breitling made a watch that had that feature.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Now that I think about it didn't Tom Cruise wear a watch in Minority Report that had a bezel function selector? I think it even had a countdown timer. I know thats a prop from a film but maybe its worth a look to you.

·
Registered
13,995 Posts
If it helps MTM has several watches with falshlights integrated into the dial. Their customer service departement told me the flashlight runs on a seperate battery from the movement. I think it's an awesome feature. I would read everything you can find on the Tissot T-Touch to see how they cram all those features into their watches.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If it helps MTM has several watches with falshlights integrated into the dial. Their customer service departement told me the flashlight runs on a seperate battery from the movement. I think it's an awesome feature. I would read everything you can find on the Tissot T-Touch to see how they cram all those features into their watches.
Awesome, thanks for the pointers. I will look into those.

·
Premium Member
21,707 Posts
With the exception of the flashlight, everything else you're envisioning could be implemented as an app for the new Pebble E-paper watch, which was a Kickstarter project.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts