WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Background:
I made a previous thread asking which watch i should add and based on that thread many identified a chronograph of some sort as missing from my collection. Ultimately I agreed with this and settled on the Daytona. To give you some background I had initially purchased a No Date Sub, gotten cold feet and canceled it, then moved my deposit over to the Daytona. Last week I was put in touch with an individual who wanted to sell his black ceramic Daytona. Apparently he's never really worn it due to the fact it was too small for him. We've talked extensively and will be doing the exchange at the AD where he purchased the watch on Wednesday. This leaves me with the deposit at the AD of $7000 that i would like to spend on another watch.

Question:
This leaves me with one final spot left in my watch box. If this was your collection what would you add as the final piece to best balance this collection out.

Requirements:
-Can't get rid of any current watches (i realize i have a mix for affordables and more expensive watches, however some of the cheaper ones have sentimental value)
-No beater watches (If i'm doing anything where a beater would be necessary such as gym, gardening, etc. i prefer not to wear a watch)
-All my current watches are on bracelets. Something on a black leather strap would be nice, but isn't a must have.
-While I'm open to dressy watches, I have no need for a pure dress watch. (I never wear a suit).
-Nothing unnecessarily big or small (38-42 is my sweet spot)
-Budget under $7000 (Mechanical/Quartz, German/Japanese/Swiss, etc...pretty much anything goes as long as it fits into the budget)

My current collection:
Seiko SARX033, Rolex Explorer 1, Oris Aquis, Rolex Daytona

watches.jpg
*I will not be picking up my Daytona until Wednesday. As such, the picture of the Daytona was found on google and is for illustrative purposes only.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd definitely go with something dressier that's not a pure dress watch. What about something like a Nomos Tangente?
Great recommendation, this is definitely high up on my list!

In my previous thread a couple people had recommended a Nomos (Maybe i should have just bumped that thread instead of making a new one, but i figured the Daytona addition changed things). I had called around and found a nearby AD who had close to 30 different models in stock. However, I got sidetracked by the Daytona stuff and never actually went and looked at them. Will try to find some time this weekend to look at them.

Reactions: 3005

·
Registered
323 Posts
Jaeger LeCoultre Reverso Duo Day Night

You said you don't need a dress watch, and I know that's how most will classify the Reverso, but it's one of the original sport watches. There's a million variants, but this is a personal favorite. Can be worn with any shade of brown leather, or of course black, or get it with the bracelet. Can't go wrong with an icon.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jaeger LeCoultre Reverso Duo Day Night

You said you don't need a dress watch, and I know that's how most will classify the Reverso, but it's one of the original sport watches. There's a million variants, but this is a personal favorite. Can be worn with any shade of brown leather, or of course black, or get it with the bracelet. Can't go wrong with an icon.
I was going to suggest some flavor of Cartier Tank, but I like the Reverso idea better.
Another couple watches I have never seen in person. I've always written them off as too dressy for my needs, but i agree it would add something different to my collection.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Something very different then perhaps, seeing as a dress watch would be logical but isn’t to your needs...

Neither pic are mine

I think you’d probably need to tip in a grand or two more but then you just got a ceramic Daytona, so why not spread out the hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,940 Posts
Nomos would be on my list for sure. Any of the neomatiks, altho probably the Ludwig and Orion may not work for you. Nomos At Work series is 39.

Omega? The new model Aqua Terra is one I like but it's fairly sporty. The regular edition Railmaster perhaps...another tool-ish watch but less so than the Explorer.

JLC Masters with the sector dials? Not sure what would be in budget. Also the sector dial Geophysic, if you're a fan of deadbeat seconds.

Got a use for a GMT? Perhaps a Grand Seiko GMT.

Bulgari Octo autos. Probably not the ultra-thin, and not the complication pieces, but the steel 3 handers.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i really like the Nomos at work line. I got kinda excited about the Damasko DK for a second until I saw the 42mm diameter.

I do dig the dress watch suggestions, but some might be a bit TOO dressy for my needs. I just dunno when I'd wear something super dressy. If i go for a dressy watch, I'd love for it to fit into the "Smart Casual" role.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
yeah something about your collection feels like a nice dressy Glashutte Original would slot in wonderfully...although the Bulgari above also looks great!

EDIT sorry hadn't noticed 2nd page of thread...personally I don't get too caught up in arbitrary definitions and wear my dressier pieces with shorts or jeans. that depends on your style tho i guess.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I believe a GMT would be in order. Sinn has a few that my eyes are upon. Here are some of mine. Now, there are a couple of [email protected]$ters (...as Archie would rant) in my collection, but they surprised me.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Reactions: Silent

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
i really like the Nomos at work line. I got kinda excited about the Damasko DK for a second until I saw the 42mm diameter.

I do dig the dress watch suggestions, but some might be a bit TOO dressy for my needs. I just dunno when I'd wear something super dressy. If i go for a dressy watch, I'd love for it to fit into the "Smart Casual" role.
Dress watches can work with polos or any long sleeve shirt/sweater. You see so many guys wearing bulky sports watches with suits nowadays, why can’t a traditional dress watch work with smart-casual clothing? Don’t let the label “dress watch” fool you into thinking it’s only for suits and tuxedos.

In this price range, anything from JLC would be great (Reverso, Master Ultra Thin, Geophysic True Second), and you get a piece from “the watchmaker’s watchmaker”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,942 Posts
One thing I would NOT do is let the number of slots in a $200 (or $500 or whatever) watch box be the main impetus behind how many watches constituted a complete collection.

Personally, I would stop where you are--the four that you have are more than enough for any sentient being and represent a fairly good range of styles and applications.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah something about your collection feels like a nice dressy Glashutte Original would slot in wonderfully...although the Bulgari above also looks great!

EDIT sorry hadn't noticed 2nd page of thread...personally I don't get too caught up in arbitrary definitions and wear my dressier pieces with shorts or jeans. that depends on your style tho i guess.
There’s a recent thread on this forum called “what watch exceeded your expectations and which disappointed you?”

i dont remember a single thing from that thread other than some dude saying GO watches had beautiful movements and less than stellar finishing. Dunno why that’s sick with me but I should find out if that’s a common opinion or just the opinion of one guy. I also guess I have a tough time having my 2nd most expensive watch as a dress watch when it’ll probably get the least amount of use. Nomos Tangente or something I can live with, 4x that price is need to REALLY love it.

Just a thought, what about trading up the SARX for a GS instead?
SARX is the watch that made me fall in love with watches, dunno that I’d ever sell it. It’s subtle hands that look black but turn blue when the light hits its right, the double AR coating, the slight sunburst dial, high level of finish, all make it a keeper in my eyes. That’s not taking away from the beautiful GS Snowflake, it’s a gorgeous watch and if I were to ever replace the SARX, it would be for the Snowflake.

I believe a GMT would be in order. Sinn has a few that my eyes are upon. Here are some of mine. Now, there are a couple of [email protected]$ters (...as Archie would rant) in my collection, but they surprised me.
i dunno that I’ve looked at too many GMTs other than Rolex. If the BLNR’s bezel writing wasn’t so pronounced, I’d probably have one. Will look at other alternatives.

...or just get a bigger box, and worry about this problem a few years from now.
Haha, I like my box and bought it purposely to limit my collection. Though I do have a plan to build a separate 3-Watch collection of high end watches (AP, ALS, PP, etc) at some point in the distant future.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts