WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Guys I ordered a different mineral glass from pacparts, cause I didn't like that red line. Any ways I broke the glass that's behind the main mineral glass and it has the solar film attached. The thing ripped in pieces. I called pacparts and they don't sell that individually. Any of you have any other alternative?

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Well... if you can't find the part to replace the solar panel / glass, you can make your watch non-solar. Just put it back without the panel, and replace the CTL1616 battery with a CR1616. It may not look as good as before though.

Reactions: Prdrers and T-Mak

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
"I jacked-up my gw-m5610" Mwahahaha...:-d

You mods are funny. LOL

·
Registered
653 Posts
No the solar panel is glued to another thin piece of glass and that piece sits behind the mineral glass.
Someone on reddit was making a similar claim, that the solar panel adds a layer of glass in front of the LCD. They went on to say that this compromises the legibility of the GW-M5610.

Assuming that this claim about the anatomy of the case is true, I suppose opinions will differ on whether the difference in legibility is meaningful or not. Certainly the GW-M5610 is a great watch regardless.

What I’m wondering is,

(1) is this claim correct?

(2) does this apply to solar G’s in general? To solar squares in general?

I’m particularly curious about the solar Bluetooth squares (the resin GW-B5600 with module 3461 and the full metal with module 3459) and the GW-5000.

If the GW-5000 has a different case construction that makes the display more legible than a GW-M5610, that’s one more reason to want one.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
If the GW-5000 has a different case construction that makes the display more legible than a GW-M5610, that’s one more reason to want one.
The screen legibility on my 5000 wasn't any better than my 5610.

If there are any typos in this post, I blame Tapatalk!

·
Registered
561 Posts
check the module numbers, if the same number, then same design, same material, and same ...construction

btw, I do not understand people who obsesses over gshock's legibility:

1/ need to get his eyes checked, and wear the appropriate prescription glasses

2/ not having enough gshocks YET

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
I have gw5000,negative display gw5610,dw5035,dw5600 and I think the display on 5000 is the sharpest in all lighting conditions

It’s my volunteering travel watch for that reason

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Someone on reddit was making a similar claim, that the solar panel adds a layer of glass in front of the LCD. They went on to say that this compromises the legibility of the GW-M5610.

Assuming that this claim about the anatomy of the case is true, I suppose opinions will differ on whether the difference in legibility is meaningful or not. Certainly the GW-M5610 is a great watch regardless.

What I’m wondering is,

I’m particularly curious about the solar Bluetooth squares (the resin GW-B5600 with module 3461 and the full metal with module 3459) and the GW-5000.

First, funny you raised up a dead thread while for the same watch but for a completely different topic to ask these questions. Anyway, here are my answers.

No. For example, the GWM5610's display is with bolder and clearer numbers than a DW5600E. It is one of the better (if not the best) displays among G-Shock squares.

Not necessarily. It varies from model to model. While the solar panel may add to the thickness of the glass, but the blurring effect to the display only happens when you are looking at it in certain angles. For most models when looking at the display directly, it's the same if not better than their non-solar counterparts.

Keep in mind that I am talking about positive displays, negative displays are in a different category. In general negative displays are worse than positive displays, with the exception of a few G-Shock models and models with STN displays.

Reactions: Dxnnis

·
Registered
237 Posts
What I’m wondering is,

Yes. The double-glass construction affects viewing angles. It seems to exacerbate the problem of ghosting - when you look at GWM5610 from a small angle it reads 8:88:88. The issue with GWM5610 is that the angle at which this problem is worst pretty much exactly matches the natural angle you look at a watch from when wearing on the left wrist.

From directly perpendicular to the display (how most photograph the watch) there is no problem.

By the way this double-glass construction has caused other issues including weird greasy residue forming inside the glass after some years. I don't see many reports of this on GWM5610 but it is quite common on certain solar Gs.

Here are some references to the viewing angle issue:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Watches/comments/cu2wx1/casio_gshock_gwm5610_lcd_viewing_angle/
https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/gwm-5610-vs-f-91w-viewing-angle-4533701.html
https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/gwm-5610-vs-f-91w-viewing-angle-4533701.html
https://www.reddit.com/r/Watches/comments/9e2akk/question_to_fellow_g_shock_g5600e_owners/

Here is a reference to the fogging issue:
https://www.reddit.com/r/gshock/comments/e0nmuq/gwm56101b_glass_fogging/

It mostly affects digital solar Gs where the solar panel is a frame around the outside of the display. They bond the solar panel to glass to give it stiffness and simplify assembly. It does not affect for example analog solar Gs (eg GST-W300) because the solar panel on these watches is under the face of the watch.

GMWB5000 (full metal) has a different type of construction. Casio decided to (finally) stop using this dumb double-glass construction. The display is excellent.

GW-5000 (Japan-only solar multiband, not bluetooth) has the double-glass construction.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts