WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, dear fellow G-Shock-wearing expeditioners, divers, soldiers, adventurers and travellers, I just joined this club.

I have always been a Casio man, since I was a boy. The old man would always wear them and I'd invariably inherit his as he bought new ones.

I especially remember one with a small marlin fish on its display, I was proud as an admiral when I got that one. All of them made in Japan, IIRC. Good times, the late 80s.

Well, I just got myself a flagship DW 5600-E-1 vdf, whatever that means (anyone know what this "1-vdf" stands for?), but it's essentially the classic square G-shock.

It's making me crave for more models.

1zv9vfr.jpg

23j5vzp.jpg

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
Nice! It was only a couple months ago when I joined...and then bought 2 more.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Casio still makes a modern version of the watch you remember - the MDV106. It's cheap and looks really good. Why not buy it? :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, my friend! The MDV is so beautiful, I love that style, but the one my father wore and later gave me in the 80s was actually the W-25. I did a quick search and found the exact model! A tad smaller than a WD 5600 but still an old school sturdy Casio.

Wish I could still find one, it was made in Japan and quite cheap at the time.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I didn't get my first G until I was 47, I now have six of them. As others allude to, they seem to reproduce rapidly.

(the first Casio I recall getting was a calculator watch in the late 70s')

·
Registered
Custom DW5600E
776 Posts
Back when I had one G-Shock, I got drunk and traded it. Now I have six and I think it's going to be enough, but that's mere speculation.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have two, a g-steel and a metal square. Now I'm itching to get an entry level solar square so I can have something less blingy for things like working out or gardening. Guess I'm screwed now. Even though I've already come to the realization that I only want squares for my personal use there are still plenty of those to choose from.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
574 Posts
I have had mechanicals and digitals come and go, but I got that same watch in 2012 and still have it. I have tried to kill it with landscaping, bathroom remodeling, crashing my mountain bike, weight lifting, painting, power chiselling, ax wielding, rock climbing, crashing my racing bike, and general neglect. Enjoy yours and don't be afraid to be mean to it :)

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Congrats! A square is often a proper first G-Shock, and it’s hard to go wrong with the iconic DW-5600. It’s an incredible value and a solution for a lot of watch needs. Wear it in health!

...and, of course, I wouldn’t be part of the enabling here if I didn’t ask. What’s next on your list?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts