WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's one of the biggest makers of Russian watches, and yet I have exactly zero Raketas in my collection. I have been searching for the Raketa World Time for a while, but although they can be found quite easily, many seem well used. Therefore I was very happy when I stumbled over this piece in seemingly decent condition, and as a bonus in my favorite colors: blue and gold!

I am intrigued by the mesh. The seller claims it is vintage and original to the watch. So you Raketa experts out there, what do you think?

Sellers pics below.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I don't know if mesh is or not original... :think:

But i can say that my NOS World Time came in a box with papers and without any type of strap...

Maybe Raketa have launched both versions (with and without strap - mesh in this case)...

Anyway, congrats for your first (and very representative) Raketa. And is a watch that you can find in several dial colors... :-!

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
That watch seems to show its beauty only in NOS (or almost NOS) conditions. Many of them have worn brassed bezel, or missing ink on the cities, or faded dials (especially blue).

I had a NOS one for few days, red dial (with "salmon" orange shades :think: ) in gold-plated (Au10) case. It was a bit too much for me, so i have sold it.

But i'm still searching for my favourite version - chrome with blue or black dial...maybe someday it will pop somewhere in good conditions :p

Anyway, to celebrate the first Lucidor's Raketa, here is an old article (1989), courtesy of an Italian friend.

It was the last of the "Russian invasion" articles from '80s, posted some time ago in the Articles section, but i never had the time to upload it. So here it is.

The name of this watch on the Italian market was Raketa Zar. :-!

Translation (from page 37 to 39 - check the page number at the bottom of the pics):
-------------------------
RAKETA ZAR

A special Worldtimer watch to exorcise the phantoms of the past with the present time

Another attractive model appeared in the universe of the "Made in USSR" watches. The wind from East still blows with great energy, carrying the latest novelties of the branch, sure of the interest that they will cause on the international market.
As we already know, the Paketa watches are well-established on the international market; so it's a natural thing that this model deserves attention, especially during this period, when the unusual things are very sought-after. In this sense, the Paketa is perfectly in line, imposing itself to the attention of the market, and it can be even considered one of the novelties of this year.

Like the previous models, this watch cannot be considered "avant-garde", regarding the design and the construction features. The new model of the Paketa collection is called "Zar", maybe to exorcise the phantoms of the past, probably approached with more consciousness. In comparison with the first models, the Zar seems a bit more massive, with a bigger and thicker case, and the elements on the dial are more evident.

But let's procede step by step. Thye case is round and it has a size bigger than the average case sizes, either in diameter and thickness. It is made in brass. Its construction is made in three pieces: bezel, central part of the case, caseback.
The bezel can be turned in both directions and it is made with a ring -slightly smaller than the central part of the case- placed on the same level of the dial. The bezel is intended to show the world times; on a black background and in two concentric circles, the names of the cities are written in white Cyrillic characters. Externally, instead, the bezel is made in brass with "toothsaw" design. The crown is placed at 3 'o clock. On the caseback the serial number 87730 is engraved. The dial is green-azure, slightly faded in the center, markers are baton-shaped and made in brass, hands are baton-shaped too, always made in brass, with the central part glowing (note: those hands are not luminous :think: ). The seconds hand is in brass too.

Externally, on the dial there is the 24H scale. At 3 'o clock, there is the calendar window, with day and date. At 12 'o clock there is the Paketa inscription, at 6 'o clock the factory logo (note: that's not the Raketa factory logo - it is the USSR Quality Logo :think:) and the indication of the Russian production. The dial is protected by a crystal slightly thicker than the bezel, completed with a brass thread. The strap is a bit too small in comparison with the real case size, it is made in black croco leather with brass buckle. The movement is mechanical with hand-winding, with indication of day and date, seconds at center, mounted on jewels, anchor escapement, mono-metallic balance wheel, plain hairspring, 18.000 bph, adjustable levers (the levers to set the balance wheel timing, don't know the name in English), antishock devices on the balance wheel axis and on the escapement wheel axis.
Finish has no fancy features, but it is essential. The adoption of the double antishock indicates that the functionality has been choosen as more important that aestethic. The Zar Paketa is for sale at Lire 100.000 (approximately 50,00 Euro) and it is completed with a flamboyante red box, with the name of the factory written in big gilded fonts.

PRECISION: 7 (on 10)

We have already analyzed this movement in the previous tests of Raketa watches. The measurations shows that it's a good-quality project.

ROBUSTNESS: 8

The fall tests resulted in a success, considering the very solid case made in heavy material and the movement equipped with double antishock device.

WATER RESISTANCE: n/c

The Zar Paketa is not water resistant, so no tests have been done. The good case assembly allows a good resistance to dust and humidity.

MAGNETISM: 6

The movement suffered only in minimal way of the strong magnetic field applied during the tests. Some parts made in ferrous material shown traces of magnetization, but they had no effect on the good working of the watch.

PORTABILITY: 7

Although the massive appearance, the Zar is light and comfortable to wear. It is very good for young people, and it can be worn by all the people if the wrist is well-sized.

GOOD FEATURES

Nice looking dial
Fashion look
Robust construction

BAD FEATURES

Big dimensions

(Note: the table in the last page - left bottom corner- shows the results of precision tests. Final note says: "Quite high values (seconds per day), especially in the maximum time variation, anyway precision is sufficient").

Attachments

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
That watch seems to show its beauty only in NOS (or almost NOS) conditions. Many of them have worn brassed bezel, or missing ink on the cities, or faded dials (especially blue).

I had a NOS one for few days, red dial (with "salmon" orange shades :think: ) in gold-plated (Au10) case. It was a bit too much for me, so i have sold it.

But i'm still searching for my favourite version - chrome with blue or black dial...maybe someday it will pop somewhere in good conditions :p

Anyway, to celebrate the first Lucidor's Raketa, here is an old article (1989), courtesy of an Italian friend.

It was the last of the "Russian invasion" articles from '80s, posted some time ago in the Articles section, but i never had the time to upload it. So here it is.

The name of this watch on the Italian market was Raketa Zar. :-!

Many thanks for posting the article!
I have several world timers, including chrome versions with blue, deep-red-purple, black and embossed-gold ("woven") dials. Lucidor's is in beautiful condition, with only a little wear on the back of the case, which is normal for these (the brass body is actually dissolved slowly by the sweat, once the plating has worn through).

Once you've bought your first Raketa, you'll never buy your last....

Lucky Lucidor!

·
Registered
824 Posts
Congratulations on the Raketa. I've been wanting one of those World Time watches myself. I nearly pulled the trigger once, but it was an export model with the dial in English, and I'd really rather have the Russian version like yours.

I've seen that same mesh with those watches before, so I think it's original to the watch.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you guys! That seems like an interesting article Michele, pity I don't read Italian. But I will start studying Russian this autumn, so hopefully I will learn enough to read the basics.

I did notice that the crown on mine looks somewhat narrower that on the one posted by nht. Your thoughts on this?

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
That watch looks fantastic, too bad im not a fan of over complicated bezels.
Take a look at this one... :-x

(i have a NOS one, absurd piece, but i love it!)

BTW, i have translated the article about the Raketa. Check again my previous post.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts