WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Wowee, what a beaut'. 'just bought my last watch for a good while'?, I've been known to say that from time to time as well but I can honestly say that I've got no new watches in the pipeline;-), my watch maker has a little something put away for me when i can afford it but it's not a watch:think:

Matt

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Really and truly how many of you think of watches as a side effect..by product.. of your collecting? I have never thought of them as that. Never bought a watch with the intention to sell. And when I have sold one or two I rarely get more than I paid for them. I have been collecting since the 1980s. I sell well on ebay but never well with watches. I have so many watches now, I cant give them all the attention and wrist time they deserve. I have decided really ..really, not to buy any more watches. I would like to own a trench watch but Im going to use all the self control I can muster not to give in to my watch instinct. Unless the trench watch comes in at 60 bucks or so. Did I just say that? Oh well..only time will tell. and it doesnt mean I cant read about them on WUS does it? Best Regards, P&P

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
The way I read the title you paid 'a good while' for your last watch...

Normally I pay money for watches. Who will take whiles for watches?? :-s I might have some spare whiles laying around! :-d

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Hi there,

amazing, for particular brands a fairly done redial and a well polished case is enough for common applause. Is there a movement inside? IWC 89?, ETA quartz? Poljot?

Don't get me wrong: I don't say anything against this beauty because I know near nothing, but I also have no reason for congratulations, again because I know near nothing.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
How do you know it's a redial, just curious?

Here's a pic of the movement.

I wasn't asking for congratulations. But I was hoping people liked it. I bought it on a whim. I know nothing of IWC except that they are a highly rated brand. For the money I spent on this I could have purchased an 18k vintage Rolex dress watch. I like vintage dress watches. I like Vacheron Constantin vintage watches I've seen but they are twice the price. And then Patek Phillipe but you know how they are priced.
The IWC here looks bigger on my wrist than I thought it would at 36mm it's big for a watch from the 1950's. I'll post a wrist shot sometime tomorrow I just got off work at midnight.
Plus I do work hard for a living. I have been a Correctional officer for 19 years and a United States Marine for 5 years before that. My co workers think I'm nuts for buying watches. I wear my solid gold Rima in a prison where it could be destroyed breaking up a fight. So ya maybe I did want a little congratulation here. Or maybe my coworkers are right and I'm nuts for buying watches.

Hi there,

amazing, for particular brands a fairly done redial and a well polished case is enough for common applause. Is there a movement inside? IWC 89?, ETA quartz? Poljot?

Don't get me wrong: I don't say anything against this beauty because I know near nothing, but I also have no reason for congratulations, again because I know near nothing.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Attachments

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
How do you know it's a redial, just curious?

Here's a pic of the movement.

I wasn't asking for congratulations. But I was hoping people liked it. I bought it on a whim. I know nothing of IWC except that they are a highly rated brand. For the money I spent on this I could have purchased an 18k vintage Rolex dress watch. I like vintage dress watches. I like Vacheron Constantin vintage watches I've seen but they are twice the price. And then Patek Phillipe but you know how they are priced.
The IWC here looks bigger on my wrist than I thought it would at 36mm it's big for a watch from the 1950's. I'll post a wrist shot sometime tomorrow I just got off work at midnight.
Plus I do work hard for a living. I have been a Correctional officer for 19 years and a United States Marine for 5 years before that. My co workers think I'm nuts for buying watches. I wear my solid gold Rima in a prison where it could be destroyed breaking up a fight. So ya maybe I did want a little congratulation here. Or maybe my coworkers are right and I'm nuts for buying watches.
Congrats on your watch.
And do not anyone put you or vit down.
As you say you work hard and you spend some of that on what pleases you.
Me, I worked hard and saved all my life, no fun, no friends.

Your way sound happier.

ENJOY
Adam

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think Roland Ranfft is correct about this watch being a redial. The watch was made between 1944 and 1950. I had my watchmaker take the back off and got the case number. I also believe I have found a picture of this EXACT same watch before the redial.
It appears that the seller buys the watches he sells then fixes them up and resells them. But I don't have an issue with that, that is better than scrapping the gold!

Attachments

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
its a redial without doubt.
but enjoy
A

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Hi Adam,

its a redial without doubt.
but enjoy
A
Redials divides mankind. Some don't accept any, others accept even the worst botch. But between black and whithe there is a wide scale of grey. My thinking is pretty straight forward: Dials don't fall from heaven - they are made. So why can't a redialler make the same?

I accept every redial which can't be distinguished from the original. Of course both may (and will) differ, but at least it should not be possible to decide which is the original, if you see both without knowing the answer.

Taken the example(s) in this thread: The initial I (J) of course varied over the time because it is script, manually carved into a die. But here my first thought was "looks like a capital P". This would already keep me away from the dial, since such errors are simply not necessarily related to a redial. The print is crisp and well done, so why not do it right.

I must admit that restoring this sort of coin empossed dials with raised digits or markers are not easy to restore. It is of course possible even to plate them newly, including selective gold plating of indices. I employ a redialler who does this perfectly, but it is expensive. The cheap approach: Cover these dials with paint, and care that this is kept away from the golden details. But the color creeps up at the edges of the details, and if not removed carefully also to the golden surfaces. And the worst, despite carefully choosing the paint, it never looks like brushed or frosted silver.

The two examples shown here, obviously from the same redialler, look nice, but can by no means compiete with an original. So I can understand if someone is satisfied with them. But I would not accept them, and I'm not a member oft the hard-core redial-haters club.

Finally, after seeing the movement I'd well buy the watch with a discount according to the dial, and then take it to my redialler - ready. b-)

Regards, Roland Ranfft

1 - 20 of 31 Posts