WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does Seiko rely a bit too much on their name when it comes to prices?? It seems a bit like that to me at least in the affordable segment of the market
I bought it few days ago, MSRP $450 got it for $179
It was late at night so I took my time to pick the best of the litter (they had one on display and 10 in inventory).
To say that I'm not that impressed would be an understatement, many had chrono second hand and main second hand not aligning properly, the bezel movement is horrible, so much slop (in all of them).
The bracelet is rattly and feels light and cheap (solid links except for the end links which are hollow) so it does the clasp.
The dial look cheap too, the markers and labeling. The glass is the Seiko Hardlex.
I like the look and the fact it is solar but I'm having a second thought....it is far from the standards I got used to for a beater in this price segment (and frankly quite less) by Invicta and even Casio. My similarly styled $120 Grand Diver chronograph (powered by the ETA G10.212 movement, Costco now sells it for $94) run circles around this thing in fit, finish and dial work and even my Casio Edifice Solar feels significantly better.

What do you think?? Should I keep it?? To be honest the only reason I would keep it is because it is solar powered. They had a similarly priced Citizen Eco-Drive Brycen chrono which felt quite a bit better quality wise but I did not like the gold tones.

Watch Fashion accessory Silver Jewellery Crab Text Font Material property Technology Electronic device Analog watch Watch Blue Watch accessory Product

·
Registered
Just one more TX Timex Enabler Club - Broths Hams n Subs
12,590 Posts
Why keep something you are not satisfied with regardless of the price?

·
Premium Member
73,516 Posts
If you dislike so much about it when it’s new there’s a very good chance that it will grate on you more with time so reject it while it’s still an option.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you dislike so much about it when it’s new there’s a very good chance that it will grate on you more with time so reject it while it’s still an option.

I would not say that I dislike it a lot.....it just seems a bit overpriced to me....maybe it has such a good movement that is worth keeping so I let the experts chime in....

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Well yes, the movement is reliable and accurate but if you don't like the watch at the price paid who can tell you any different?

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Hmm,

Well, my honest opinion is that the Seiko Cal V175 movement is not one of their best.

There are better battery versions and for the same money you could get one with a 7T92 and another with a 7T62. Ok they are going to need a new battery around every three years, but for my money you could get two great watches. From what I hear the rechargeable Cell is only going to last somewhere between 8-12 years depending on how it is used and at least with the battery change you get to check the seals more fequently.

Best regards,
Jim

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
You got a Seiko for $180 and you're not impressed with it. I don't think that's earth shattering. Look at it as the beater it is and I don't think there would be any need for a post.

Just a heads up for future reference, Citizen does solar better than anybody.

Reactions: TheTy

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
You got a Seiko for $180 and you're not impressed with it. I don't think that's earth shattering. Look at it as the beater it is and I don't think there would be any need for a post.
Well I'm not impressed compared to other watches costing the same or actually quite a bit less....

Just a heads up for future reference, Citizen does solar better than anybody.
Thanks, that is something to keep in mind, last month I bought a Citizen Eco-Drive World time watch for $130 (MSRP $650) to be given as a Christmas gift this year and I was actually very impressed at that price point...very nice dial, all solid links bracelet so smooth that it feels like running on bearings, very nice clasp, sapphire glass...the works....

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I’m sure someone here will wax eloquently about how your an idiot and you should be bowing at the altar of Seiko ..... but really ..... if you aren’t happy with the fit and finish, return it and find something that meets your expectations. I think that in that price range you should have numerous options.

·
Banned
366 Posts
Life is too short to keep watches that you fon't like. Anything that bothers you even a little now will only get worse with time. 'Nuf said.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
473 Posts
Well I'm not impressed compared to other watches costing the same or actually quite a bit less....

Thanks, that is something to keep in mind, last month I bought a Citizen Eco-Drive World time watch for $130 (MSRP $650) to be given as a Christmas gift this year and I was actually very impressed at that price point...very nice dial, all solid links bracelet so smooth that feel running on bearings, very nice clasp, sapphire glass...the works....
Keep the Citizen, give the Seiko. You're welcome.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
From the photo, it appears that the hands line up properly, the bezel looks as if it could be very slightly off, but that could be the camera being slightly to the right of center. I like the drilled lugs and the overall high finish.

The watch would in all probability run well for you for decades, but if you aren't happy with it, return it and get something you like better.

·
Premium Member
73,516 Posts
Life is too short to keep watches that you fon't like. Anything that bothers you even a little now will only get worse with time. 'Nuf said.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
TheTy puts it very succinctly. If you are not taken by a watch when you first get it then it’s time to think seriously about moving on.

·
Registered
13,094 Posts
I wouldn't worry about misaligned hands - they can be adjusted.

But I've been through a few of these models - chronos and three-handers. I agree that these just don't feel all that great. The bezel is loose and tinny. The case and finishing is extremely lacking. There is something about these that are very lackluster.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts