WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In another thread I was pondering the purchase of a Tissot T-Touch and the input was helpful. As much as I respect the Tissot opinions, and I do like the t-touch, I decided to go with the G-Shock. The deciding factor was that the G-Shock did not look outlandishly stupid on me. It was important that the lugs did not extend past my wrist. There was also the important point that the Tissot only supported two timezones and I actually want to be able to easily check three timezones: Where I am (a bit obvious on that one), Home (US Mountain Time), and London (my main office).

1148623d1373286000-should-i-consider-t-touch-harsh-outdoor-use-31qxm.jpg

As you can see, I went with the GW-9200-1DR aka, “the Riseman,”. . . That suddenly sounds as stupid, on an oversized watch, as calling some bloated farm lorry “The Compensator.” I was hesitant to purchase such a large watch and never would have gotten it if I had not been able to try it on at the Casio store. Normally I wear watches that are traditional, or, mid-sized watches; such as a 37mm Frederique Constant and a 37mm Squale 1515. This watch is replacing the Squale for "severe" use.

1148624d1373286057-should-i-consider-t-touch-harsh-outdoor-use-vu7e2.jpg

Ignoring that digression, as you can see, it came with a pair of G-Shock branded sports gloves and a second pair of G-Shock branded glove liners. It also came with an “Edifice” branded towel, a few boxes and bags to put it all in, and the paperwork.

1148625d1373286119-should-i-consider-t-touch-harsh-outdoor-use-12foo.jpg

Only time will tell if I am bothered by wearing such an oversized sports watch. Obviously it has no hope of passing off as a dress watch; however, that is the purpose of the Frederique Constant, there is no real need for functionality overlap (that was one draw to the Tissot, the Tissot seemed a bit more versatile; but, like I said, versatility that is, ultimately, pointless). The picture gives an idea of how this watch looks on a 6.5” wrist.

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
The Riseman (9200, not 9600) isn't the biggest G out there, and since it's light, you will see that it's VERY comfortable to wear - it's definitively one of my favorites. A T-Touch is a very nice watch, and even though by Swiss standards it's a sports watch (the watch you use when you go over to a friend's to watch a F1 race on TV), it's not something you can use in the rough & tough. So if you already have a F. Constant, that BTW have some fantastic autos for the price, a Riseman will give you more versatility.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Congrats on your purchase and the swag.

It may interest you that the G-7710 model is much, much smaller and allows for the simultaneous (on the same screen) viewing of three time zones. It also has some interesting and rare functionality for a G-Shock such as two staggered countdown timers, weekday-dependent alarms, and an hour-dependent chime. It is not solar/atomic, though, and it is a bit harder to find since it has been discontinued.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Well DOne!

It makes me hopefull I too have made a good choice

I also have not had a large and odd shapped resin covered item on my wrist and was anxious

Mine is still on the way.

Seeing your on an also slim wrist and looking fine and normal is very encouraging

BTW what altitude were those pics taken at? :)

Enjoy!

·
Registered
19,359 Posts
From the photo I could say that the Riseman looks really good on your wrist, not too big, not too small, just perfect size |>

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
"First G-Shock?"

I guessing it won't be your last. :-d

·
Registered
898 Posts
I love it when those who are new to G-Shock think of the GW-9200 as over-sized... :-d

Btw Hasaf, there is a reason this model is called the Riseman. This model is a successor to a first generation Master of G model by the same name. The Masters of G were all given names based on the watch's advanced functionality - this model has a twin sensor including an altimeter in a shock-resistant package - hence the name. Use for climbing - RISEman, use for diving - FROGman etc.

·
Registered
19,359 Posts
IMO the 9200 is not oversized by any mean, it's the strap that is slighly longer than it should have been if you have a small wrist.

Otherwise I think the 9200 is a perfect package, with such large solar screen and dedicated EL button I don't see how you could make it smaller, it's a G-shock after all, and a G-shock has to be reasonably big for better shock-resistance.

S

·
0 Posts
I applaud your choice of G-Shocks. It's the first of many, I'm sure. I would love to see photos of your Frederique Constant.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts