WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...never mind if some might think it a little unauthentic, over-the-top, garish, gaudy, kitschy, etc.

Joyeux Automatic Fliegeruhr Ref. 1405 LB

Since my company tends to work me a little to the bone at present (too few staff for the projects coming in) and I am getting some overtime paid off soon, I decided to order this one at last. I had been keeping my eye on it for some time now for reasons given in my older post (https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?p=1426645#poststop) and finally got one. I was informed that it went into the mail on Friday so I might have it on Saturday. Last Saturday, the postman just wouldn't arrive and I started to feel fed up since I had to go to Bavaria yesterday and today so I wouldn't be there to receive it in person. Finally, not being able to put it off any more, I decided to go to the city to do some shopping with the family - and 200m out of the driveway, I met the postman by pure chance (13:30 on a Saturday - not very usual by German standards!). It turned out he had the watch so I legged it back to get the cash and was a very happy man!:-d

I love this watch already! The quality is excellent, the value for money (400 Euros) even better! As demonstrated by the shape of the balance wheel, it has a lower grade ("Standard" or "Elabore") ETA 2824-2 calibre, and yet it has kept time with remarkable regularity over the last three days. +5 to +6 seconds a day with practically no deviations between the daily rates (1-2 seconds) - the sort of deviations you expect from certified chronometers! The superluminova "charges up" rapidly and you can even see a slight glow during the daytime, never mind at night (one of the reasons why I got it - I have no other watches that are legible in the dark and I finally wanted one). The watch is 39mm in diameter (you can also get it in 35mm) - slightly more in keeping with modern tastes for larger watches and also with sizes of older pilot's watches, even if it can't match the "Große Fliegeruhr" and its cousins, yet at the same time small enough so that the ETA 2824-2 (at 25.5mm) doesn't appear lost inside a huge watch. The movement is nicely gold plated - at that sort of $$$ level, you often see no finissage on the movement whatsoever! The only weak point (also pointed out by the review in ArmbandUhren, 6/2006 issue) is the clasp on the strap which is somewhat tinny, the inner (main) lock also has a slight tendency to slip and open up inadvertantly; fortunately, there is also the outer lock which is tight enough to prevent premature loss of the watch. The clasp on the bracelet (costs 100 Euros extra) version looks rather more high-class and secure, though.

My verdict? Overwhelmingly positive! If you want a more authentic pilot's watch, you will probably tend more towards something like a Laco Fliegeruhr or even a Stowa with pocket watch calibre converted to indirect central seconds. If you want something a little different that still gives you excellent bang for the bucks, this may be one for your collection too.

Hartmut Richter

Attachments

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quick update on this watch: The original version (shown in "ArmbandUhren 6/2006 issue) had a round "onion" style crown. After receiving the watch, I thanked Herr Fröhlich for the speedy delivery and mentioned this while I was at it. To my surprise and joy, he sent me one free of charge, together with a winding stem (in case the round crown requires a minimally longer one). Now that's what I call real service!

As far as the daily rates are concerned, the watch has settled down to gaining an average of about 6.5 seconds with very little deviation around this value (3.5 seconds between minimum and maximum daily rate). I really can't find fault with this one.....

Hartmut Richter

1 - 4 of 4 Posts