WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So sue me. I just spent $7.61 U.S. dollars for an obviously redialed mechanical. That's the price with shipping. Why would I do this? :think:

Because I need a beater. And I would rather have an old mechanical than anything available new that costs under $100 because they are just so bleeping fugly! It's as if sub $100 watches are required to be ugly in order to justify spending more.

No question this sucker may die after a few days of use. But why not? I'll be out less than $8. Whatever.

I'll wear it while biking or when hitting the gym. I need something on my wrist. Going naked just seems wrong to me. If the watch proves relatively reliable after a few weeks of use I'll stick it on a nylon Nato.

Vintage HMT Pilot Blue Dial Winding 17J Indian Mens Gents Watch 100 Working | eBay

$_57.JPG

And here it is...

indian01.jpg

·
Registered
926 Posts
Is that a definite redial? HMT did bring out the pilot in a plethora of colours, including a rather vile lime green and that nice electric blue. There should be a post on watchuseek somewhere about it. I think it was an attempt to boost sales and appeal to modern markets.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've examined it with a magnifying glass and I do not think it's a redial. But it certainly is a re-lume (and nicely done). The issue that I have is the crown is clearly incorrect for this piece. It's too big and won't push in all the way which means moisture will easily creep inside.

Today is an insanely foggy and wet day so I am betting the crystal will fog up if I spend any time outside.

For $8 whatever happens happens. But it would be nice were it to last a while since I actually love the blue dial with green hour markers. With a nice leather strap this piece would look terrific on any wrist.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I've examined it with a magnifying glass and I do not think it's a redial. But it certainly is a re-lume (and nicely done). The issue that I have is the crown is clearly incorrect for this piece. It's too big and won't push in all the way which means moisture will easily creep inside.

Today is an insanely foggy and wet day so I am betting the crystal will fog up if I spend any time outside.

For $8 whatever happens happens. But it would be nice were it to last a while since I actually love the blue dial with green hour markers. With a nice leather strap this piece would look terrific on any wrist.
Actually, it's very possible it's the original crown. I had a genuine brand new HMT Janata and there was a small gap between crown and case. It's a QC issue, one of the many HMT QC issues. But yes, I wouldn't necessarily put it down to being the wrong crown.

·
Moderator Public Forum
21,927 Posts
I think I would have added a few more dollars to the pot and bought a new Seiko 5 as a "beater". Chances of getting something reliable are higher.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I assume you're in the US, how in the world do they ship that for less than what you paid for it, and pay ebay fees and everything else? I shipped a video game I sold and it cost me 3 bucks, domestic!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've no idea how this guy makes a dime.

As I expected, the crystal fogged up this morning. It's crazy wet outside and even though the watch itself did not get wet, it did fog up a bit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts