WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm from toronto Canada. Long story short. I bought a watch at the Japan airport. Flew to Singapore and mailed the watch box and receipt back to myself.

It's been 45 days now (package was supposed to arrive in 7 days)

Still no watch box or letter or hand cuffs. Anyone been in this situation before.

·
Registered
31,988 Posts
Hahahaha I love your honesty

have you spoken to the mailing company you used? Was it registered or have any tracking numbers?

best bet is to take it up with the company you mailed it with in Singapore

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So the only scenario that went through my mind was that they would find the receipt at customs. So I threw it away. I called the company and there are no tracking numbers anyways.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Apparently a Canadian citizen attempted to circumvent his country's onerous Customs department and it's now being discussed publicly.

At best it's sitting in a long que of packages to be investigated. At worst the empty box was repurposed for another shipment. There are ways to make sure something shipped from another country reaches an end destination, however, the World Postal System isn't one of them which can absolutely, positively, has to be there sometime in the current year guarantee it.

Last I heard the tsunami wave of contraband Chinese goods being inspected at Canadian customs is putting delays into terms of months. They have to inspect for all those illicit vape ingredients and other non tobacco items, opening each package one at a time with a selectively limited staff. Shipping thru Singapore and Hong Kong Post is the most well known dodge out there right now.

Good luck.

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,730 Posts
I'm from toronto Canada. Long story short. I bought a watch at the Japan airport. Flew to Singapore and mailed the watch box and receipt back to myself.

It's been 45 days now (package was supposed to arrive in 7 days)

Still no watch box or letter or hand cuffs. Anyone been in this situation before.
During travel I've had items shipped from China, India, Japan and several European countries. Where appropriate I got a VAT refund. The items were clearly disclosed on a declaration form. In a few instances customs duties were due on my end. And guess what...all of the shipped items appeared.

I'm sure you know what happened. You sent it with no shipping insurance or receipt???? You really have two choices. Keep waiting. Or call customs and describe the situation. Tell them you are willing to pay the fees and penalties in exchange for the watch.

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
During travel I've had items shipped from China, India, Japan and several European countries. Where appropriate I got a VAT refund. The items were clearly disclosed on a declaration form. In a few instances customs duties were due on my end. And guess what...all of the shipped items appeared.

I'm sure you know what happened. You sent it with no shipping insurance or receipt???? You really have two choices. Keep waiting. Or call customs and describe the situation. Tell them you are willing to pay the fees and penalties in exchange for the watch.
It sounds like he has the watch (wore it on the plane), just no box or receipt for the purchase.

OP,
With 45 days gone, not many options remain... hope for the best and maybe get a nice surprise in the mail one day, or write it off as a life lesson - trying to cheat customs potentially cost you the watch box.

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,730 Posts
It sounds like he has the watch (wore it on the plane), just no box or receipt for the purchase.

OP,
With 45 days gone, not many options remain... hope for the best and maybe get a nice surprise in the mail one day, or write it off as a life lesson - trying to cheat customs potentially cost you the watch box.
+1

Face plant!!!

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
This is an important point... only 30% of the value was lost, not 100%.

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
Am I the only one that wants to know..., what's the watch??

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.