·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For your viewing pleasure... The Blancpain X Fathoms...:

Some sweet lume...:

And now - in it's natural environment...:

Okay... one more:

Does anyone on the forum have one? I would be interested in some personal shots and comments. Have I mentioned how much I love this??

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In my best Dangerfield while loosening my tie and collar..., "This is a tough crowd".

I don't think your Invicta is going to fly with this crowd... but, thanx for showing us your watch.

·
Registered
14,853 Posts
Not too familiar with that BP model but man, it sure looks like it can handle any depth one would care/be able to take it . . .

·
Registered
449 Posts
Not entirely to my taste but has a throwback real world instrumental feel; i guess it should being a depth gauge and all.

Bit confused about the hands, I guess the one at 10:30 is a power reserve and the large blue tipped hand seems to be for a finer grained depth gauge at lower depths. But not sure about the other two shorter ones? I guess the yellow tip could be for the secondary deeper depth gauge but whats the red tip for?

·
Registered
485 Posts
In my best Dangerfield while loosening my tie and collar..., "This is a tough crowd".

I don't think your Invicta is going to fly with this crowd... but, thanx for showing us your watch.
I think my arm would fall off if it were mine. Oh right, HE forum, I guess I can post this one:

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
My opinion: technologically impressive, but it looks like a tool. The original is a much nicer piece of jewelry.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Not entirely to my taste but has a throwback real world instrumental feel; i guess it should being a depth gauge and all.

Bit confused about the hands, I guess the one at 10:30 is a power reserve

This is a 5 minute retrograde counter that can be re-set at any time for 5 minute decompressions.

and the large blue tipped hand seems to be for a finer grained depth gauge at lower depths.

Yes, made for better resolution. According to BP, this is the most accurate mechanical depth gauge ever made.

But not sure about the other two shorter ones? I guess the yellow tip could be for the secondary deeper depth gauge

The Yellow is the 0-90 meter gauge, runs in conjunction with the 0-15m and then basically takes over the duties.

whats the red tip for?

The red hand records the maximum depth reading (memory).

All in all.. a pretty amazing watch... (IMO).

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I have to agree with you, this version of the 50 Fathoms is really something pretty amazing. I was quite struck with the concept of the mechanical depth gage when I first heard about it a year or two ago. Leave the Bathyscaphe version to the purists. This definitely has its place! (... unlike any references to In***ta on the HE forum thank you very much)

·
Registered
449 Posts
All in all.. a pretty amazing watch... (IMO).
Indeed. Well thought out in terms of its complications, it just seems late by a few decades! I'm sure divers of the pre digital dive computer era would have loved this. But at 55mm and around $40K(?) it's main value seems to be as a concept piece.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Double post

·
Registered
101 Posts
It looks like a real tool therefore it looks like crap, original 50 fathoms looks much better. Still, i like its colorful dial and that iconic bezel.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I think very few people on here would have this watch, but I might be wrong. I like the fifty fathoms, but I agree with some others in that the tool-like appearance makes it a questionable daily wear.

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Great thread revival - I was completely unaware of that watch. As a dive professional, I would love to own that watch and wear it around the dive shop.

(Blancpain, looking for brand ambassadors?)

Reactions: I Like em BIG ! !

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Everytime I see this, I want it more & more... WOW... so amazing!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts