WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

As the title goes I own a Rolex Submariner which I really love, thing is I'm due to go on holiday then on my return go for surgery on my leg. As I don't want to risk anything happening to my watch I would like to buy a sort of beater to wear on these occasions. As I'm used to the quality of the Submariner I would be looking something of a decent quality. I have a budget of £500 could you guys offer any suggestions please?

Also I would prefer a watch on either rubber or NATO for a change!!!!

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read the above post....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Tisell Sub
Seiko SKX007
Steinhart Ocean One
Squale 20 Atmos
Davosa Ternos
NTH anything

All great values

Instagram - Dec1968watches
I couldn't think of a better suggestion list based on that budget.

Maybe a Tisell and a Seiko, unless the OP wants a Swiss watch.

Sent from my LG-H630 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dec1968

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
I agree with the Steinhart comments, very Rolex homagy but quality watches. May also want to consider Squale?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
If the size and case shape are off with the Steinhart, stick to 40mm cases.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have both the Seiko and the Squale.
I have no reservations on wearing my SKX anywhere, it has become my beater and travel watch. It can take everything I throw at it.
For the price of admission, its worth it in terms of quality and durability. And should something happen to it, it wouldn't hurt as much cost wise, vs something in the $500+ range.

·
Registered
815 Posts
+1 for Steinhart. Good quality, good looking, feature for feature they hold their own against expensive brands. I bought mine for the exact same use case you're outlining.

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
I have both the Seiko and the Squale.
I have no reservations on wearing my SKX anywhere, it has become my beater and travel watch. It can take everything I throw at it.
For the price of admission, its worth it in terms of quality and durability. And should something happen to it, it wouldn't hurt as much cost wise, vs something in the $500+ range.
That's why I will ALWAYS own an SKX watch of some kind. The other part is even if you're a Rolex watch person, you respect the SKX and don't view it as an homage. You see it for what it is - excellent value and timeless design.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
+1 on the SKX00x.

Generaly, I'd add that if you've got a sub, why not take this opportunity to try something in a different style. Seiko Tuna, for example? If you would rather have an auto, and/or size is an issue, I'd also look micros, like Halios (Seaforth is 40mm I think the Tropik is 42 and the Delfin is 44. Then there are the Puck and the Laguna...) or Armida or Helson or Raven, etc.

Also to add that the world of Seiko divers is VAST and you can spend from 150USD on the grey market for an SKX model through $5000 or so for a top of the line Spring Drive diver and everything in between.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I'd personally wear the Sub...but if that definitely isn't going to happen then any number of Seikos fit the bill. SKX009 would be my choice.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I love my Ocean One with ceramic bezel.

I also like my Squale but they updated much including the lume, bezel, crown and bracelet.

The Atmos 20 is no longer available. I'm glad to have one.

Of course if you love the EZ-Glide clasp it's hard going back to the older styles.

I usually take a Quartz Luminox diver that is PVD ir DLC costed and put it on a NATO. It's rated to 200m, it doesn't draw attention like SS, Gold or two tones do when traveling.

I was down in Nica and Central America where people wearing any watch sort of stuck out.

I would rather not draw any unwanted attention to potential thieves.

For the record I don't see anything bad in homage watches as long as they are made with quality. It's like buying a drug once it's generic.

It's serves a purpose. It looks nice and I want it to not be something like a replica that might get confused for a watch that costs thousands more especially in impoverished areas.

I do prefer the Swiss ETA divers but the Seiko and Miyota based watches hold their own just fine. ETA movements are just easily serviced and easy to find parts for just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 54 Posts