WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's my 3rd day at a Rolex dealership here in Oklahoma. I was told upon employment that we don't have any TAG's on display, but we can order them, to which I asked if we could get an SLR in cuz I could sell that to ANYONE. An older salesperson then informed me that you have to buy the Mercedes SLR to get the SLR watch. This couldn't possibly be true, could it? Has this ever been true? You don't have to buy a Ferrari to get one of Panerai's Ferrari watches, you certainly don't have to buy a Bently for a Breitling for Bently, nor do you need a Porsche for a Porsche Design or a $20,000 crotch rocket for Jean Richard's MV Agusta-dedicated Brutale. But where could this rumor have come from? Has there ever been, in the history of watches, a requirement to purchase the CAR to obtain the corresponding timepiece?

·
Registered
204 Posts
It's my 3rd day at a Rolex dealership here in Oklahoma. I was told upon employment that we don't have any TAG's on display, but we can order them, to which I asked if we could get an SLR in cuz I could sell that to ANYONE. An older salesperson then informed me that you have to buy the Mercedes SLR to get the SLR watch. This couldn't possibly be true, could it? Has this ever been true? You don't have to buy a Ferrari to get one of Panerai's Ferrari watches, you certainly don't have to buy a Bently for a Breitling for Bently, nor do you need a Porsche for a Porsche Design or a $20,000 crotch rocket for Jean Richard's MV Agusta-dedicated Brutale. But where could this rumor have come from? Has there ever been, in the history of watches, a requirement to purchase the CAR to obtain the corresponding timepiece?
I think, although I am not sure, that originally Lamborghini gave away watches with their cars that otherwise could not be bought. Not the case anymore I believe.

As for the TAG SLRs, no, you can buy them without the car ;-).

·
Registered
438 Posts
yes, you can buy an SLR watch without the car, no problem :)
and if an SLR mercedes coats only 500 000$ over there, its freaking cheap!
just watched it on a brochure over here, and the list price for the Coupe is 855 000€ (almost 1,1m$ at todays rate :-|)

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Anyone can buy the current SLR but I do recall the original Limited Edition being tied in with the SLR Mercedes. See below:

As for your Rolex Dealership - are they a TAG Authorized Dealer? if so, get that store stocked up!!

To celebrate the launch of the Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren super sports car, TAG Heuer and Mercedes-Benz have combined forces and know how to produce a stunning commemorative timepiece exclusively for Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren car owners.
The SLR Chronograph by TAG Heuer, like the high-performance, 200-mph, ultra-luxury sports car that inspired it, is an audacious creation, at the avant-garde of high technology and design, yet with the look and allure of a true classic. The direct result of TAG Heuer’s historic relationship with McLaren Mercedes, the SLR Chronograph reflects the values common to both the brand and the team: passion, performance and sporting prestige. Like the Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren, the SLR chronograph combines a unique mechanical movement together with a daring inspiring design.

·
Registered
302 Posts
You are correct, sir. The original L.E. model first released was only available as an "option" to those who bought the SLR Mercedes, as you have "options" on the cars you buy like heated mirrors, SAT-NAV, etc. Most dealerships lucky enough to get an SLR Mercedes just bought the watches themselves and threw them in as an incentive with the car.

Anyone can buy the current SLR but I do recall the original Limited Edition being tied in with the SLR Mercedes. See below:

As for your Rolex Dealership - are they a TAG Authorized Dealer? if so, get that store stocked up!!

To celebrate the launch of the Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren super sports car, TAG Heuer and Mercedes-Benz have combined forces and know how to produce a stunning commemorative timepiece exclusively for Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren car owners.
The SLR Chronograph by TAG Heuer, like the high-performance, 200-mph, ultra-luxury sports car that inspired it, is an audacious creation, at the avant-garde of high technology and design, yet with the look and allure of a true classic. The direct result of TAG Heuer’s historic relationship with McLaren Mercedes, the SLR Chronograph reflects the values common to both the brand and the team: passion, performance and sporting prestige. Like the Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren, the SLR chronograph combines a unique mechanical movement together with a daring inspiring design.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well, anyone can buy SLR watches without buying the Mercedez SLR. However, most people find it is weird to do so. I've seen a SLR watch sold on my local website without any bids for ages since people do not feel like owning the watch without owning a SLR car.

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Well, anyone can buy SLR watches without buying the Mercedez SLR. However, most people find it is weird to do so. I've seen a SLR watch sold on my local website without any bids for ages since people do not feel like owning the watch without owning a SLR car.
Is it the one pictured above?

Remember, the original SLR car was sold out. I assume those that bought that original car had the option to purchase the original SLR watch. If they declined to buy the watch, eventually they were sold on the open market.

Can you link us to your website? I'd like to see the watch you speak of.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Is it the one pictured above?

Remember, the original SLR car was sold out. I assume those that bought that original car had the option to purchase the original SLR watch. If they declined to buy the watch, eventually they were sold on the open market.

Can you link us to your website? I'd like to see the watch you speak of.

No. It was the SLR Limited edition that I was talking about. The seller put it at approx USD1,800 at first. Then a month later, he put it for about USD1,200

·
Registered
97 Posts
Any details about the limited SLR picture up? Like model number or anywhere we can read about it? I really like it !

I always thought it was a concept watch that was going to be released, never knew it was already released.

·
Registered
73 Posts
i just went to the cabazon outlet here in ca. yesterday, they had 2 SLR's and a couple of Carreras. didnt check the prices tho.. i went in to check the links..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts