WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread really has no purpose beyond me wanting to say to all here that i really appreciate this place.

long story short, i never wore watches much, found a 5600E on amazon, found this place because i liked it, and now im a collector.

2 years later ive bought and sold G's by the dozen, found things that i didn't know existed, traded watches and paypal cash and emails with many of you guys, and maybe the coolest thing, i am now a walking G-Shock library who can tell any random stranger the model number, price, features, nickname, and rarity of the G-Shock on their wrist. i know which watches are good for which occasions, situations, and climates. i can take apart any G-Shock in my collection and replace the battery, dye it a different color, change the bezel details, give it a new set of clothes, anything i want. i started out with a $40 amazon G and got as far as a $1000 Burning Red Frogman (which i sold because i realized i'm a quantity guy since all G's are quality).

but what really sticks out is the ease and comfort of f29, and the vast wealth and excitement of f17. all of you guys are NUTS. i never know what i'm going to see when i come here, whether it be 3 new Rangemans in a single day (what do you guys do for a living, print money?!) or a new custom camo dye job, sneak peeks of new releases or a quick fix for a buggy model, it's all here.

f29 is the real reason for this thread, i guess; i saw a GD-100 for 50 bucks. i already had it and sold it in the past but i wanted it again, and it was cheap, so why not. pm'ed, sent money, got the watch, thank you but no thank YOU, and back to business. its crazy in this day and age of hackers and ID theft and general sneakery that we can feel so comfortable just chatting up random strangers and trading cool stuff with one another. even though the G i just got in the mail is nothing wild or unique, it just hit me how much i appreciate this place.

so happy new year all, thanks for everything, and uh....well that's about it, i guess.

On To The Next G!

·
Registered
362 Posts
I found it after I purchased my first gshock and I'm on it all the time, thinking about my next purchase,. You are right though I'm sure some of the guys on here print money!!

What's your latest purchase then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just got the all-black neg GD-100-1B in the mail, back home since i sold mine last year. last one before that was the clear gray GDX-6900. now im after an Army King and the lightning yellow GDX6930.

sidenote, the OP just happens to be post number 2000. lol.

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
21,587 Posts
I'm here from the very first minute, and I never regretted it. I made many good friends here and I even went to Japan to meet a good friend there. I learned it wasn't that difficult to buy watches from Japan, which looked unreachable for me, before 2003. A lot of pieces in my collection wouldn't be possible if F17 didn't exist.

A Big Cheers to F17!

Sjors

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I love the friendly attitude on here.

There are no big egos. I suspect that is because most people are comfortable in their own skin and don't buy stuff to impress others, G Shocks don't impress the general public or most other watch enthusiasts for that matter, only geeks like us.

If someone criticises a favourite 'G' of another member, it is fairly rare for a defensive dog fight to break out because we have not invested a lot of our ego into the purchase, something you see a lot of in more expensive brands.

Even when people come on just to criticise the brand the responses tend to be pretty objective and friendly. Heck we know that the term 'ugly cheap plastic watches' has some truth in it for many people.

Friendliest forum on the net imo and a hat tip to to the mods as well for locking onto the vibe.

Mitch

·
Registered
647 Posts
Although i am not posting that much here,i am a daily lurker on f17. So much to read and to learn here. I think we are blessed with us here.:)

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
There are no big egos. I suspect that is because most people are comfortable in their own skin and don't buy stuff to impress others, G Shocks don't impress the general public or most other watch enthusiasts for that matter, only geeks like us.
What a refreshing breath of fresh air... That alone is worth the price of admission.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Great thread, great OP. I, too, find I spend most of my time here in f17. I still have a browser tab open for for f21 (Seiko), but I rarely click on it. See what you guys have done to me? :roll:

·
Registered
496 Posts
F17 is indeed one of the most friendly WUS forums.

I can't stop myself visiting F17 at least once a day to see any new threads or WRUW, and sometimes post my wristshots.

Because I cannot possibly own all G-Shocks (I do not print money), it is fun to look at other WUS members' watches which I do not own!

I love the friendly attitude on here.

If someone criticises a favourite 'G' of another member, it is fairly rare for a defensive dog fight to break out because we have not invested a lot of our ego into the purchase, something you see a lot of in more expensive brands.

Even when people come on just to criticise the brand the responses tend to be pretty objective and friendly. Heck we know that the term 'ugly cheap plastic watches' has some truth in it for many people.

Friendliest forum on the net imo and a hat tip to to the mods as well for locking onto the vibe.

Mitch

Reactions: BrendanSilent

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
This is the best forum I have ever been a part of. I have posted on other various non-watch forums, but this one has the best people overall and the friendliest atmosphere. And these watches are so addictive! The most interesting thing to me has been exploring G-shock's back catalog of releases and finding unusual things and discussing other people's unusual finds as well. What Sjors said about the ease of buying from Japan---something I think we take for granted now, but it really wasn't long ago that if you wanted a special Japan-only release, you had to know someone or go to Japan yourself. Browsing Yahoo Japan auctions is an exercise in withstanding temptation sometimes!

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
There have been couple incidents recently, but the mods sorted them out quickly. So I must give a lot of credit to our hard working modulators as well.

Very agree to many posts here that f17 is the best forum I've ever visited. I've been here more than two years which is a record for me in hobby related online forums. Too bad that it influences me to buy too many watches. I have to be in (G)Shock Resist mode now.

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
We have recently seen the return of a "long lost" member on WUS. A great man in our community. He once moderated on F17 an he and Sjors are why I became a Moderator in this community.

The return of that gent has me quite nostalgic for WUS. Its a great place indeed. I've been here a long time. Its all just part if my day now!

I'm an eclectic collector. But G Shock has been in my collection literally since day 1. Long live the G!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
what i find funny is the response formula.

other message boards:
user1 - this thing is awesome
user2 - no, it sucks
user1 - no you suck
user2 - no YOU
both users - @&#$*$($&@^[email protected]&[email protected]($)$

this message board:
user1 - this watch is awesome!
user2 - yes it is! here's a picture of mine!
user3 - thats a great picture!
user4 - i want one now!
user5 - so do i!
user6 - dunno if this is the right place, but what g-shock should i buy?
all users - bwahahaha :)

1 - 20 of 61 Posts