WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I'm going off to to school at Lititz Watch Technicum in about 2 weeks, so I need one more watch to work on for my second year: a chronograph. Considering I won't have any time to get anymore watches to work on, I need to get a chronograph before I leave. My current budget is about $150, but I can step it up a little bit if needed. I'm in the market for a manual wind chronograph, but an automatic will work as well. If there's a part of the movement missing, no problem. However, I would prefer if it were all there. It doesn't need to be working, but I'd prefer not to have to hunt down parts. Thank you for your consideration!:-!

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
Lucky you
Good luck at the school.
Stay in touch with us on your progess.
and
good luck finding a watch
adam

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Does it have to be a Swiss chronograph? Seiko's 6139 often trade for less than 100 $ in running condition.

Best, and good luck at school,
Tomcat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Agreed - Col. Pogues usually top out at 300 or more. My 6139-8002 came at 70 € and is in splendid shape ;-)

Regards,
Tomcat

·
Registered
13,428 Posts

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
When you write 'two register', do you mean minute register plus small second? Or do you mean minute- and hour registers? In the first case a Pierce may be an option (but be aware that adjusting the chronograph mechanism of a cal 134 is nothing for the faint-hearted so maybe a classic bicompax, maybe even with a cam-op'ed Landeron may be the better choice; in the latter case you should look out for Seiko's 6138 or Citizen's 8110. Both are available at affordable prices.

Regards,
Tomcat

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When you write 'two register', do you mean minute register plus small second? Or do you mean minute- and hour registers? In the first case a Pierce may be an option (but be aware that adjusting the chronograph mechanism of a cal 134 is nothing for the faint-hearted so maybe a classic bicompax, maybe even with a cam-op'ed Landeron may be the better choice; in the latter case you should look out for Seiko's 6138 or Citizen's 8110. Both are available at affordable prices.

Regards,
Tomcat
I am looking for a Swiss chronograph, if I can get one. However, I have absolutely fallen in love with the Citizen Bullheads. Their style, their simplicity, and their price drew me to them, and I may have to lean in and see if I can snipe one of them on eBay. That's how I won my Hamilton. :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've seen a few Vostoks, and the right kind is normally hard to find. I'm currently set my laser sights on 2 swiss double register chronographs, and about 5 Citizen Bullheads. I LOVE the Bullheads now. Once again, any advice on the Citizen Bullheads is appreciated. Most of these are coming from Indonesia or the Philippines, so I was wondering if they made fakes of these?

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
As for the Poljot chronographs: I take it you know that their movements are closely related to the Valjoux 7734? If it has to be a Russian column wheel chrono, look for Strelas.

The Citizen Bullheads out of SEA are practically all redials. Gaudy colors - rusty movements. Problem is, so many of them have already been sold in Europe and the US that it is impossible to judge the most likely quality level of a watch from its country of origin. You should always insist on proper movement shots.

Aftermarket dials and hands are available in decent quality.

Best
Tomcat

·
Registered
13,428 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do you think parts will still be available for it? The reason I want a chronograph is for my 2nd year, when we have to service/repair a watch. It seems to only be missing the stem, one of the bumpers, and the crystal(which is an easy fix). The movement seems to be pretty well off, and the case is all there. So, all in all, what do you think would be a good price for this one? If I bought the correct parts for it, how much would that set me back as well?

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I'm guessing that due to the "up-down" layout, that the movement is a Venus cal. 188 (edit - should be 170 - see below). Here is the listing from Jules Borel, showing what is and isn't avaliable:

Edit - deleted incorrect information.

However, will you have enough time to buy the watch, assess what it is and order the parts you need before your class project begins?

Good luck this school year!
gatorcpa

1 - 20 of 23 Posts