WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have never sold any watches online, and I fell in love with a watch that's expensive. So for the first time, I need to sell a few really nice watches to pursue my new desire. Can someone give me a 1,2,3 checklist on how to go about this, because I think the members on this site would be interested . I have no previous sales so I'm assuming this might be difficult?

·
Registered
8,826 Posts
Easy...
Take good pics..
Start price at the high end of asking range but be a little flexible & state in add,lowball offers will be ignored...
Describe completely using the TimeZone(TZ)grading method(google if you aren't familiar)..
Use Paypal.For all it's faults it's still the best way to get paid & get what you pay for.
You need feedback as a seller,Ebay works but no feedback is a problem..
Buyer also needs feedback from previous purchases,again I use Ebay...
Stay Con.USA to start,international is a beeatch...
Ship mostly Insured Priority Mail...Always Adult Signature Required..Insurance is for SELLERS protection!If I sell & ship,do not insure,package is stolen,buyer can file not received & get immediate refund,If insured I can then file claim..I say again,Insurance is for SELLERS protection..Expensive stuff ships UPS or Fed Ex Insured,Adult Sig.Required..
There is a Sub Forum here for feedback & deals..
Good luck..

·
Registered
596 Posts
You could also consider selling or consigning to a trusted reseller. Your take would be less, but it would be easier for you and your payment would be assured.

·
Registered
12,626 Posts
This is one of the best forums for selling watches. I have been really happy here having sold several Rolex’ watches amng others. This watch community has great people and a very positive selling experience in comparison to like an ebay. Also, much much better fee situation. Previous advice was spot on. Do your research, sell on the higher side, be flexible. Take great photos as mentioned and have fun with your description. Too few sellers put the effort in to describe what they are selling. Good luck!

·
Registered
230 Posts
You could also consider selling or consigning to a trusted reseller. Your take would be less, but it would be easier for you and your payment would be assured.
Wow, I didn’t even know that was a thing. I’ve purchased several watches here, but never sold. I guess that’s a good thing to keep in mind

Daniel

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
This is one of the best forums for selling watches. I have been really happy here having sold several Rolex’ watches amng others. This watch community has great people and a very positive selling experience in comparison to like an ebay. Also, much much better fee situation. Previous advice was spot on. Do your research, sell on the higher side, be flexible. Take great photos as mentioned and have fun with your description. Too few sellers put the effort in to describe what they are selling. Good luck!
Maybe its just me, but my current watch for sale is doing way better on craigslist, pretty much zero going on from posting it here. I had a meeting just yesterday with a cash offered I declined.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
If you have flaws on the watch, state them. Buyers will respect you for it -- if they try and exploit the flaw to get a lower price than you want, don't be afraid to walk away from a sale. Honesty is key.
There's a guide for how to set up the sales ad in. Also, be patient. Many people (I'm guilty of this), will lower the price too quickly just to move the watch quickly.

Here's an example ad for a diver, as stated by WUS:

Each sales post must have a good description of the watch (very important because we don’t allow discussions in this forum!). Here’s an example:
Condition: mint
Movement: Swiss ETA 2836-2 automatic
Crystal: sapphire crystal, with anti-reflection treatment
Case: titanium and steel case
Dimensions: 39.5 mm diameter, 12.5 height
Caseback: screw-in, steel
Crown: screw-down
Dial: black dial
Strap/bracelet: rubber strap with deployant
WR: 100 meters

·
Registered
805 Posts
I will +1 on USPS priority mail.

I try to avoid FedEx as I believe watches are considered jewelry and FedEx won’t insure them. Most vendors that ship FedEx use third party insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
207 Posts
Much of what people have said already, but there are a few more things I can think of.

Itemise everything in the sale. Every paper, every box, inner box, travel case, strap and tag. Include pics of those too.
Don't forget to redact the serial numbers from the fantastic pics you're undoubtedly going to include. Also redact the number if it's a limited edition.
State when the watch was made or when you bought it new.
State when it's last service was, who serviced it and consider including service papers in the sale.
State if the watch is running and how well it runs in +- seconds per day. If you're fortunate enough to have a timegrapher report, include it.
State if your piece has all genuine parts.

Um... I think that's it. Think what you want to see in a sales listing and what questions you need to ask.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Clear photos and a good, honest description are what counts. Don’t try to hide any obvious flaws as it will be detrimental to your sale/feedback.

State your terms and price inclusive of fees.

In your description try to add as much information as possible to avoid having emails back and forth for obvious questions such as remaining warranty, extra bracelet links, boxes, service history etc. basically just think of any questions you would ask.

A good tip is to check out some listings from reputable members to visualise what a good listing looks like.

Be sure to vet the buyer correctly and document every thing to protect yourself.

You can never have too many pictures. Cover all the angles of the watch.

Also, once you have completed the sale, and the buyer confirms receipt of the goods and is happy, leave them feedback in the feedback sub forum and ask them politely to return the favour. This way you can build your feedback profile.

Good luck with your sale.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I guess they've all said it! One tip I can add is to always respond promptly and keep customers updated. They would appreciate this practice.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
how much is it listed for? wondering if people search for higher value watches on craigslist
If you are asking me, its listed at $4000, I have turned down $3000.

·
Registered
8,826 Posts
if you accept paypal then the feedback thing isnt really an issue. the buyer will know they can get their money back.
WRONG!!!
Feedback is about building a reputation & for peace of mind..If a buyer contacts me & he is the same buyer that is being discussed negatively on a thread I damn sure want to know about it!If a buyer or seller has bad feedback on Ebay or here I don't do business..Plain & simple,feedback is MANDATORY!
Same goes for honest buyers..New WUS members need to build that rep..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts