WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Been looking into getting my first watch for a couple of months now, but I am taking your advice and not rushing anything.

I have found this Longines model on ebay but the bit where it says "swiss made" seems shoddy. I don't think it is a fake or a redial. Can someone explain? Is it just bad workmanship?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
The lettering is either above or below the clear coating. If that has a failure over time during cleaning or handling the letters may get moved. You see dials where the words are broken or partially missing or completely gone. It would not have left the factory like that.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The lettering is either above or below the clear coating. If that has a failure over time during cleaning or handling the letters may get moved. You see dials where the words are broken or partially missing or completely gone. It would not have left the factory like that.
Excellent thanks! So bascially it looks authentic and not a redial?

·
Registered
808 Posts
I agree with Dan,
the minute markers look particularly wonky and at different angles between the 3 and 6 markers,
If they were Okay then the general ageing of the the dial wouldn`t be a particular problem to me but once I notice things like those misaligned markers it would niggle awat at me .

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The outer minute track has been refinished. Are you ok with the damage to the dial?
ah yes i can see them now that you have pointed them out. I can see they are wonky, but ho do you know it has been refinished? are there tell-tale signs?

·
Premium Member
6,664 Posts
ah yes i can see them now that you have pointed them out. I can see they are wonky, but ho do you know it has been refinished? are there tell-tale signs?
Any time you see something that is so poorly done, it can't be original, and is therefore "refinished" by definition.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Prabstar1...Hello! I will cast my Fate to the Stars, and suggest that this dial ( quite possibly...) has not been refinished. The mis-aligned outer markers are so glaringly arranged, that not even a complete amateur would 'pass them'. My guess--and it's simply that--is that something happened during a Service, that damaged these painted-on items...perhaps, an inappropriate cleaning solution was used, and the markers began to dissolve. I've never seen anything quite like this...it is a bit weird!

Strange stuff sometimes shows up here... Michael.

·
Registered
7,728 Posts
​Water damage or mishandled wouldn't explain the Swiss Made being so misaligned unless they are applied letters (which I'm positive there not) Maybe not a redial or @ least the entire dial but something is definitely wonky w/ the letters.

I saw your ebay item in question & BUYER BEWARE I've purchased a watch from him he's a good guy but some of his pieces are frankens @ least the 1 I purchased from him was & he was a gentleman & took it back & refunded my $$.

I have a touch screen computer so I can zoom in & out .
Definitely not water damaged so re-dial to a certain degree.

I wouldn't consider the purchase unless you can get a good explanation how that happened. Also the minute track is just as wonky.

I'm a Vintage collector, & it's a slippery slope navigating the Vintage waters esp. on the Bay,it's all about reference#'s & serial #'s to do comparisons. Also I see his ad states unsigned crown so automatically it's not all original.

Reactions: Prabstar1 and Dan S

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just a thought, it looks like a lot of the markers don't look bad on top, mostly the bottom half. I'm wondering if maybe this thing didn't have a little water damage? Would be interesting to see the movement.
thanks - if you click on the link above the pic it will take you to the listing

1 - 13 of 13 Posts